Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 02:31 PM

150 posts, read 194,915 times

Advertisements

i need some advice from other city workers who have moved upstate to westchester. im not sure where to look...im planning a move for my family next year a little further north of the city..wed like to buy a house where its not too far from the bronx (30 to 40 min drive) in a safe neighborhood...but not overly strict. no HOA...just a nice respectful home we keep to ourselves but like a little freedom. any ideas? pros cons? realty companies suggestions? places to stay away from? preferbely mount vernon north of it etc side of "upstate NY" for us..family of city workers who need to drive into the city daily and back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 03:45 PM

818 posts, read 758,961 times
You should post in the Westchester forum. Post things like your budget and other things that are needs vs wants (e.g. square footage, number bedrooms/bathrooms, style of home, property size, etc.)

Also, Westchester is definitely not upstate.

Westchester County is NOT Upstate New York
Attached Thumbnails
advice from those who moved upstate-f9c056c3-c789-4b5a-b76a-ac0fbaa9f8a2.jpeg  

Old 06-21-2020, 03:49 PM

150 posts, read 194,915 times
i will def do that..you can tell ive lived in the city my whole life if i think WC is upstate right? lol

Old 06-21-2020, 07:33 PM

874 posts, read 449,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool718 View Post

"i need some advice [...] wed like to buy a house where its not too far from the bronx
(30 to 40 min drive) in a safe neighborhood...but not overly strict...."
"but not overly strict."

'not overly strict' when it comes to what ? double parking? recycling?

Old 06-21-2020, 08:32 PM

2,034 posts, read 1,085,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruSue View Post
"but not overly strict."

'not overly strict' when it comes to what ? double parking? recycling?

7 P.M. curfew. Lol

Old 06-21-2020, 08:34 PM

2,034 posts, read 1,085,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
You should post in the Westchester forum. Post things like your budget and other things that are needs vs wants (e.g. square footage, number bedrooms/bathrooms, style of home, property size, etc.)

Ass what I said in another thread, New Yorkers (NYC) tend to think anything North of da Bronx is Upstate.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
i will def do that..you can tell ive lived in the city my whole life if i think WC is upstate right? lol
I wouldn't worry, it's a common misconception as others in this thread have posted.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Ass what I said in another thread, New Yorkers (NYC) tend to think anything North of da Bronx is Upstate.
True, sort of like how a lot of people consider NYC to be just Manhattan

Old 06-22-2020, 09:14 AM

88,203 posts, read 84,076,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post

Quote:
Hahaha, yes, that reminded me of these people I met who moved from Queens to my mother's neighborhood in a Bergen County suburb about 30 miles NW of the city. You can even see the city from the main street in town.

The wife told me, "We love living out here in the country."

LMAO, that town hasn't been "the country" for about eighty years.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:15 AM

615 posts, read 443,520 times
Where Upstate begins, IMHO:

Continue the straight line east (that defines NY and PA) to CT.

North of that line is Upstate, south of that line is Downstate.

YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City