Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 11:01 AM

7,929 posts, read 9,152,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
It's seen as symbolism. The white man is above the Indian and the black man. They are his servants below at his side. They have to walk
Easily fixed with a saw. Just cut em down and keep Teddy on his horse. Problem solved.
The lions in front of the Library will be next. Lions in Africa were racist and ate black people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 11:30 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Easily fixed with a saw. Just cut em down and keep Teddy on his horse. Problem solved.
yes that might work

Imagine you are the father of a black family and you visit the museum of Natural history and your kids is looking at this statue wondering why there is this victorious looking white man on a horse and the black guy is on the side looking docile and glum

he killed 1,000 big game animals in Africa. He liked shooting animals for fun in someone else's country

Last edited by jonbenson; 06-22-2020 at 12:02 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:

yes that might work

Imagine you are the father of a black family and you visit the museum of Natural history and your kids is looking at this statue wondering why there is this victorious looking white man on a horse and the black guy is on the side looking docile.
You could explain the symbolism of the statue that white, black, and red stood together.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
You could explain the symbolism of the statue that white, black, and red stood together.
not as equals

The black man here, represents a hired African guide. His rifle is there being kept for him for when he dismounts and shoots an elephant
Is the African a diplomat he would have political conversation with? No, he's a hired servant help to show him where the big animals are so he can kill them and do a photoshoot

Last edited by jonbenson; 06-22-2020 at 12:15 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 11:48 AM

I think people are looking too far into this statue. Roosevelt's infamy came as a rough rider, which was on horseback, hence the use of the horse in the statue.

I think we are at the point it is like having small children having a temper tantrum.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I think people are looking too far into this statue. Roosevelt's infamy came as a rough rider, which was on horseback, hence the use of the horse in the statue.

I think we are at the point it is like having small children having a temper tantrum.
I think all of these public statues are personality cults that don't fit into the current era.

Think of a statue of a recent president or mayor being put up in the public square. It's not done anymore.
New York is too diverse to have all these old white men on horses in parks.
There should be new sculptures there, not of any "heroic" people, white, black or otherwise in my opinion
It's political propaganda, these silly looking idealized "glorious" statues

Old 06-22-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I think all of these public statues are personality cults that don't fit into the current era.

Think of a statue of a recent president or mayor being put up in the public square. It's not done anymore.
New York is too diverse to have all these old white men on horses in parks.
There should be new sculptures there, not of any "heroic" people, white, black or otherwise in my opinion
It's political propaganda, these silly looking idealized "glorious" statues
I am fine if you get rid of ALL STATUES regardless of the race of the person being depicted,not selective outrage determined by the fad of the moment. Appointing DeBlasio's wife to be the moral arbitor of what is acceptable and not is a joke.

Replace them with a tree, but I am sure someone will be offended by that because you know evil trees were used to lynch people

Old 06-22-2020, 12:21 PM

1,486 posts, read 989,013 times
Quote:
LMFAO!!!!!!

Stood together? Look at the statue, the only people standing were the Native American and the African. This dude was riding a horse, there is no together in that.

If all 3 were standing I would see your point.
If all 3 were on horses I would see your point.

Im staring at the statue and I just don't see any "together" in it.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:25 PM

Again, the horse was used for his history of being in the Rough Riders. It is part of what made his lore.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Again, the horse was used for his history of being in the Rough Riders. It is part of what made his lore.
So the Native American can't have a horse because that was reserved for the rough riders?

Quote:
Financed by Andrew Carnegie and by his own writings, Roosevelt's party hunted for specimens for the Smithsonian Institution and for the American Museum of Natural History in New York.
This statue was put in front of the Museum of Natural History for a reason not as a tribute to the Spanish–American War although they probably threw in the horse to allude to his rough riding while they were at it. But heroic statues on horseback is also an old tradition in these types of statues. And the African and Native American not fitting in to a war monument theme

Last edited by jonbenson; 06-22-2020 at 01:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City