Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What did you of NYC? (People who have not lived there
Amazing! Different from any other city I have been too! 48 56.47%
Its Over-rated, but still cool. 26 30.59%
Nothing special. 3 3.53%
I hated it! 8 9.41%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 03:05 PM

347 posts, read 1,149,423 times

Advertisements

I like my small town living a lot more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 12:07 PM

784 posts, read 2,264,675 times
Talking I love NY

I think New York City is the greates city in the world, bar none. There is no comparison. As far as someone saying that manhattan must be six times the size of Atlanta or more, thats a laugh. Downtown New York is about six times downtown Chicago and maybe fifty or more Atlanta's. I really believe those who dont like New York have either never been there, or dont like big cities with huge downtowns. In either case your either a liar or a country bunk. Personally I think NYC will survive without you.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:31 PM

10 posts, read 32,583 times
I lived in NYC for 27 years (Bronx & Brooklyn) to be exact and I miss it very much. I'm stuck in VA for now and If it wasn't for my wife, I will be on the first thing smoking back. Unfortunately my wife is from a little hick town out here. Nothing can compare to NY. Just about everything come through NY. Even our stock market dictates what this country and possibly the world will do. I miss the vibe and the energy NY brings. I miss the fact that I could walk from Times Square to the Village and not get tired, I miss South Street Seaport. I even miss my Grey's Papaya.
Even though I haven't lived there in 4 years, I still visit my father is still there. NY will be in my blood till I die.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:43 PM

72 posts, read 213,832 times
I'm a little tired of it. I lived in the Bronx as a kid and have been back in NY for the past nine years (Queens and Bronx). The thing that bothers me the most is the nasty attitude you get from people that work in almost any store/deli/supermarket etc.. that is if they end their cellphone or co-worker conversation to even look your way. Don't blame me because you are paid next to nothing.

As I get older I realize that this city is for young people. Everything is a hassle when you have responsibility.

This city is full of opportunity though. I think the old adage that "if you can make it here you can make it anywhere" is wrong. There are a lot more ways to make a living here than in smaller cities. The CUNY and SUNY schools are pretty decent as well. If you have the drive you can make a decent living here.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:47 PM

72 posts, read 213,832 times
[quote=neonwattagelimit;3641572] Its population is famous for workaholism.

You clearly have never worked for a Not for Profit

Old 08-23-2008, 09:22 AM

13 posts, read 44,388 times
I have family that live near New York City and have visited the Big Apple a number of times. New York City is a cool place to visit but for me it is far from being among the best places to vacation and there is no way in heck I would ever live there.

Other than Broadway and a hand full of iconic sites (Empire State building, Chrysler Building, Statue of Liberty, etc), New York City basically doesn't have anything that you couldn't find in most other medium to large sized cities in the US. In the case of museums, zoos, parks, etc., NYC has them in abundance, but most don't match the quality, cleanliness or uniqueness that you would find in a number of other cities.

I've also dined in a number of places in New York and have yet to find anything much better than decent. Based on what I'm told, I'm sure that there are many great restaurants in the the city; the problem is that it'll probably cost a mint to experience them.

So if you love noise, riding filthy, overcrowded subways and being trampled in the street if you're walking just a half step too slowly, then NYC may be the place for you. Notice, when people fawn over NYC and claim that it is a city like no other, they rarely offer specific reasons as to why they feel this way. Sometimes they will point to the size of the downtown area or the "pace" of the City. Many are in love with the myth of New York City, not the reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City