Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 10:30 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
I notice nobody has mentioned Central or South America, like certain places in Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Uruguay, Aregentina
Puerto Vallarta is my retirement plan but that's a ways off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 10:42 AM

910 posts, read 753,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
You’re right. I’m here because of family. This is where I was born. I like the climate and easy access to Europe and the Caribbean. All of the things listed are not positives to me. Why is diversity of population helpful or a good thing? I rather be surrounded by my own people who I share more in common with. I rather feel welcome in my own city among my own people than be an outsider. I detest the political climate of NYC as well as the lack of traditional family values and Christian culture.

NYC is only fun if you have the money to live below 96th Street. Commuting 75 minutes (to account for delays) to and 60 minutes from work is no fun. It’s the same if you want to do something in Manhattan socially.

I’d go to:

1) Buenos Aires - Beautiful Architecture, cheap taxis, more relaxed atmosphere, and more people similar to me than NYC.

2) Vienna - Beautiful architecture, easy transportation system, better quality of people, and good national government with Kurz as PM.

3) Montevideo

Speaking of the U.S., I rather live anywhere that’s not a big city and not in a state dominated by liberals. I like big cities but not the people they tend to attract.
I hear you. If you were to have spoken to me just a year ago, I was still an unrepentant die hard New Yorker who would brutally scoff at even the thought of living somewhere else such as a rural area or a small city. I have matured quite a bit since then, by force. After visiting my parents for a while who live in a rural area and then realizing all that you say: brutal commutes (I was traveling without a car from Brooklyn to Forest Hills area in Queens) left me exhausted and dehumanized after a while. This was even before the pandemic started. The commuting was starting to make me weary.

Then, the pandemic shut us in and I was able to work from home. Marvelous, but then I realized that all the things that made the city worth living in are now shut down or will not be the same for a very long time.

Then, I saw just how incompetent Cuomo and De Blasio really are and how utterly vicious the politics in NYC are towards normal taxpayers who don't loot or shoot to get what we want.

Diversity? It was all BS. Sure, you see different people but everybody pretty much either secretly hates each other or sticks to their own group. Very few groups of friends or family are truly integrated racially or socially, despite the fake liberal talk.

I also do not like restaurants generally and definitely not the overhyped trendy garbage NYC was getting more and more of.

Then, I saw my pay stubs and for the first time, that NYC income tax stung like never before.

Then, I saw the riots and how criminals walked free with the support of the mayor and Cuomo.

Then, I finally acknowledged how overpriced everything really is in NYC in comparison to the quality of what you actually get.

Then, I grew tired of hearing my upstairs neighbor walk and stomp like an elephant and yell every single bloody day at her husband.

Then, I grew exhausted at the baby downstairs crying and yelling at any hour.

Then, I grew tired of the drag racing and the noises everywhere, sirens, madness, and dumb liberals who think they know a lot but in reality are functional illiterates without a basic grasp of history.

Then, I made my decision and left. It's been only 2 weeks, but I've never felt so good in such a long time. Nature surrounds me, no local income tax, no riots, people can have guns in their homes, houses have acres and neighbors are kept at a safe distance from each other so that it is not overbearing (hence why people are much nicer here) and yeah...good riddance. I also grew tired of listening to any language other than English around me. It felt extremely weird walking block after block after block and feeling not that you were in a foreign country, but really nowhere at all since no nationality was really prevalent...it was just a big glob of alien creatures with no where to go, just trying to make a living...but definitely no shared values, or community or culture.

As far as CITIES I would choose though...if I had to choose a city other than NYC:

I liked Madrid when I lived there (but from what I hear now it is getting worse and worse, more chain corps, etc). That's internationally speaking. Here in the US...

A mid-sized city in a state like Tennessee, perhaps.

Or maybe Greenville, SC.

Last edited by canovas; 06-28-2020 at 10:50 AM..

Old 06-28-2020, 10:43 AM

1,107 posts, read 552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Excerpt: Do you feel confident in assuming certain cities will be more livable than NYC over the next year?
Response: Yes

Excerpt: I assume, there is no special reason to live in NYC
Response: Absolutely Correct given the political New York City environment.

Excerpt: if you left NY, to another city where would it be ?
Response: I can only imagine it will be a city with the lowest of crimes and property taxes surrounded by a conservative climate.
Ditto.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:48 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Puerto Vallarta is my retirement plan but that's a ways off.
ok, looked that up, Mexico

Old 06-28-2020, 10:53 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post

Then, I made my decision and left. It's been only 2 weeks, but I've never felt so good in such a long time. Nature surrounds me, no local income tax, no riots, people can have guns in their homes, houses have acres and neighbors are kept at a safe distance from each other so that it is not overbearing (hence why people are much nicer here) and yeah...good riddance.
can I ask what the general vicinity is?

Old 06-28-2020, 11:11 AM

910 posts, read 753,416 times
Quote:
can I ask what the general vicinity is?
Sure, very far north of NYC...more than 4 hours drive but still in NY state.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:49 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
I hear you. If you were to have spoken to me just a year ago, I was still an unrepentant die hard New Yorker who would brutally scoff at even the thought of living somewhere else such as a rural area or a small city. I have matured quite a bit since then, by force. After visiting my parents for a while who live in a rural area and then realizing all that you say: brutal commutes (I was traveling without a car from Brooklyn to Forest Hills area in Queens) left me exhausted and dehumanized after a while. This was even before the pandemic started. The commuting was starting to make me weary.

Then, the pandemic shut us in and I was able to work from home. Marvelous, but then I realized that all the things that made the city worth living in are now shut down or will not be the same for a very long time.

Then, I saw just how incompetent Cuomo and De Blasio really are and how utterly vicious the politics in NYC are towards normal taxpayers who don't loot or shoot to get what we want.

Diversity? It was all BS. Sure, you see different people but everybody pretty much either secretly hates each other or sticks to their own group. Very few groups of friends or family are truly integrated racially or socially, despite the fake liberal talk.

I also do not like restaurants generally and definitely not the overhyped trendy garbage NYC was getting more and more of.

Then, I saw my pay stubs and for the first time, that NYC income tax stung like never before.

Then, I saw the riots and how criminals walked free with the support of the mayor and Cuomo.

Then, I finally acknowledged how overpriced everything really is in NYC in comparison to the quality of what you actually get.

Then, I grew tired of hearing my upstairs neighbor walk and stomp like an elephant and yell every single bloody day at her husband.

Then, I grew exhausted at the baby downstairs crying and yelling at any hour.

Then, I grew tired of the drag racing and the noises everywhere, sirens, madness, and dumb liberals who think they know a lot but in reality are functional illiterates without a basic grasp of history.

Then, I made my decision and left. It's been only 2 weeks, but I've never felt so good in such a long time. Nature surrounds me, no local income tax, no riots, people can have guns in their homes, houses have acres and neighbors are kept at a safe distance from each other so that it is not overbearing (hence why people are much nicer here) and yeah...good riddance. I also grew tired of listening to any language other than English around me. It felt extremely weird walking block after block after block and feeling not that you were in a foreign country, but really nowhere at all since no nationality was really prevalent...it was just a big glob of alien creatures with no where to go, just trying to make a living...but definitely no shared values, or community or culture.

As far as CITIES I would choose though...if I had to choose a city other than NYC:

I liked Madrid when I lived there (but from what I hear now it is getting worse and worse, more chain corps, etc). That's internationally speaking. Here in the US...

A mid-sized city in a state like Tennessee, perhaps.

Or maybe Greenville, SC.
Good to hear you’re in a place that makes you happier! I’m curious as to why you lived in Brooklyn when your work was in Forest Hills though. There’s a lot of fairly affordable rent closer to or in Forest Hills compared to most of Brooklyn that would have likely been a much shorter commute. Wouldn’t your commute from Brooklyn have been at least an hour each way?

Disagree with everyone hating each other. There are solid friendships (and dating!) outside of one’s own ethnic group to be had at least in my own experience. Being able to travel and meet friends and family of people I’ve met here from different countries has made those travels really memorable for me, and Madrid was one of those places where I was led to see facets of the city that I don’t think would have been on my radar without having had friends of friends to guide me. I also love going to the wealth of restaurants to try different foods and also to get recipe ideas for home cooking and entertaining with the availability of diverse grocers.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-28-2020 at 01:24 PM..

Old 06-28-2020, 01:23 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
[quote=mysticpearl;58485659]I was in the Bay Area for awhile. I do miss the scenery there and the proximity to Tahoe.

But I also own property in Bulgaria. Down the road as America gets crazier that's where I will retire to. and travel a lot throughout Europe.

You don't work in NY to retire here. You work in NY to make enough to retire elsewhere.

Very true!

Old 06-28-2020, 01:46 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times
Good question. I'd live mostly in cities in Japan.

Tokyo: Biggest metropolitan area in the world. For such a big city its so clean and there's so much to do. The metro system is amazing, lots of good parks, and parts of Tokyo are incredibly quiet. Plenty to eat and plenty to do and see. Love that city. Two airports that have incredibly easy access to Tokyo. Of course I can take the shinkansen outside of Tokyo to other cities and towns.

Kamakura : An hour outside of Tokyo but much more relaxed, quiet and has a much more beach town vibe. LOVE, that city, especially during the summer.

Osaka: A big city and the people of Osaka are generally much warmer and fun then in Tokyo.

All the aforementioned cities have incredibly low crime, which is per the course of Japan in general. And I just love Japan and Japanese cities in general.

Montreal: Big but not too big, great transportation system, attractive women, quaint feel and neighborhoods, great food. Close to the Adirondacks.

Toronto: Its like a cleaner mixture of NYC and Chicago, quite safe compared to the two. More spacious, very diverse, attractive women. Lake Ontario, not far from New York.

If Seattle wasn't such a liberal cesspool I would love to live there.

If San Francisco wasn't such a liberal cesspool, I would love to live there.

Pattya and Bangkok. I love the Thai people.

There's some more...

Old 06-28-2020, 01:51 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,605 times
Exclamation sasie123

Quote:
For New Yorkers if you left NY, to another city where would it be ?

name your top 3

Do you feel confident in assuming certain cities will be more livable than NYC over the next year?

Some of the things which people come to New York City are the Arts, museums, food, nightlife, diversity of the population, density of companies and business, diversity of religion and spiritual beliefs, social liberalism
-- or indicate something unique to New York

So this question is for people who value some of these things, otherwise, I assume, there is no special reason to live in NYC even in the best economic, non-virus circumstances other than maybe your family happens to be here

So this question is not a general "which cities will be better than New York".
It's the same question in the context valuing some things unique to NY (and you can define those things as you like)
YOU left out the fact that in NYC residents DO NOT NEED an automobile, and the SUBWAY, Bus, and Ferry systems run 24/7....., and if one losses one's job, there are many others available. Many, many cities does not offer these. We have traveled extensively, and have found that there is not another state that we would live because ALL STATES have their pro and cons.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City