Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 08:07 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,386,334 times

Advertisements

With calls to defund NYPD in the face of rising crime in NYC, as well as critically dropping tax revenue, I was thinking of something, and wondering why nobody else is thinking of that.

In the realm of normality, where people grow up fulfilling school responsibilities, then occupational or professional responsibilities, while taking care of themselves +/- families (if/when they decide to have them), there is a merit system which rewards greater responsibility and social utility with better income or other perks.

Why is there no such merit system among the lower contributors or non-contributors to the society? If handouts were preferentially given based on merit points, it would greatly contribute to quality of life among the poor, and in the city in general. First and foremost, the requirement to obtain NYCHA housing (or other subsidized housing) in desirable areas such as NYC should be the ABSENCE of CRIMINAL RECORD of any kind for anyone in the household, and no drug use per history or periodic mandatory drug testing. From that initial requirement, the best subsidized housing in the city should go to low-income people who show social responsibility by working or continually looking for work, and/or pursuing education. This would also include families with high school kids who are A-students. It would also include single mothers who show social responsibility by working and using high-reliability contraception (such as an IUD after the first kid, or tubal ligation after the second). Next tier of quality in housing should be genuinely disabled and elderly low-income people people who cannot work. Last tier still allowed housing in the city would be welfare mothers with kids, as long as nobody in the household has ever engaged in crime/drug use.

People with criminal history could look for housing elsewhere, where there aren't millions of people whom they stand to harm. Better yet, they should reside in psychiatric institutions outside the city (if their crime is a result of mental illness) or prisons (if they are actually sane).

If this kind of merit system for housing existed (where anyone can attain merit points just by decent behavior, regardless of any other resources that a poor person may or may not have), it would properly reward constructive behavior among the poor. It would incentivize the poor to do something, however little, for themselves, which at the personal level is good for their self esteem, and at the society level is less expensive for the taxpayers. It would immensely increase safety of living in the city including safety of living in the projects. It would indeed enable a less expensive and less "brutal" police force, since there isn't much reason for aggressive policing if the city is free of criminals in the first place. Why is the problem of crime not addressed at its root, by incentivizing the better quality poor to live in the city (the same way the workforce people and companies are incentivized to come to NYC, by merit system in which the city tries to attract those people who are most beneficial to the city)? In case of the poor, there should be a merit system to reward those who are least harmful to the city.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:54 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,903 times
Because this merit system will be consider as subjective, and eventually it will lead down to racism and discrimination. At the end, you might end up with another movement similar to Black Live Matter. I would think they come up with something like Poor Live Matter.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:01 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Or you could just ship all the people you deem as undesirable to some remote island somewhere in the middle of the ocean where they won't bother anybody.

Unbelievable. You have managed to combine all of your previously posted biases into one post. Bravo. Don't bother responding. I won't see it.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Because this merit system will be consider as subjective, and eventually it will lead down to racism and discrimination. At the end, you might end up with another movement similar to Black Live Matter. I would think they come up with something like Poor Live Matter.

But half of the reason for the system would be that poor lives matter (the other half would be that safety in the city matters too). As a result of getting housing on the basis of some merit that EVERYONE of any social background, race or ability can attain (ie, good behavior and consideration for your fellow citizens), poor people with solid character would have assurance of living among equally solid poor people, rather than among criminal gangs. For those poor people motivated to pursue normal life (and I still somewhat hope that is actually the substantial majority of poor people), this situation would indeed give a far better chance to pursue it than the situation in which they are now.

Having or not having a criminal record is not subjective, it is a very objective fact. Actually, the whole system would strongly rely on objectivity. Have a paper from NYPD certifying no criminal record? Check. Have a proof of employment, or employment search, or community college enrollment? Check. Have a school report for your kids showing regular attendance and okay grades? Check. Have a paper from your doctor showing a contraceptive implant or an IUD in place? Check. Have a negative drug test, with continued negative random tests later? Check. These are all very objective criteria, nothing subjective or speculative about them.

Last edited by elnrgby; 06-27-2020 at 09:29 AM..

Old 06-27-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Or you could just ship all the people you deem as undesirable to some remote island somewhere in the middle of the ocean where they won't bother anybody.

Unbelievable. You have managed to combine all of your previously posted biases into one post. Bravo. Don't bother responding. I won't see it.

I only have a bias against crime and antisocial behavior. No other biases whatsoever. And yes, absolutely, if something like an empty continent of Australia were still available, I would be in favor of shipping criminals there.

You, on the other hand, exhibit a behavior typical of the current climate of mindblowing exaggeration, false accusations and baseless witch hunt, blaming me for "biases"? What biases?

Old 06-27-2020, 09:55 AM

5,666 posts, read 2,607,361 times
Actually for many years convicted criminals couldn't live in a Nycha apartment. But several years back they change that.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:00 AM

5,666 posts, read 2,607,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Check. Have a paper from your doctor showing a contraceptive implant or an IUD in place? Check. .
WTF is wrong with you Here in The United States we don't force woman to have birth control methods implanted in them.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:19 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times
Ridiculous communist idea, you should have left if back in the USSR

Old 06-27-2020, 10:32 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,125,970 times
You see, rich vuggers who undermine social stability when engaging in major fraudulent behavior don't worry about needing a pat on the head. They hire expensive lawyers and go back to what their doing in the comfort of their penthouses. They also get pardoned by their great leaders, when they are big enough vuggers, and all judicial recourses are exhausted.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
WTF is wrong with you Here in The United States we don't force woman to have birth control methods implanted in them.

Of course I would not force anyone to have any form of birth control. But if they already have one or two kids they cannot support from their own resources, and do not show a proof of using a reliable birth control, why would I believe they will not have more kids, who will be a high risk of turning to crime (because it is realistically nearly impossible for a poor single parent to care for, and control, more than two kids)? And why would I give free housing to someone who is at high risk of introducing crime (or increasing crime) ib a housing community?

If the young lady is poor but is dealing with it by graduating from high school, working at McDonalds, and not having any kids (as she can't support them), she doesn't need a proof of contraception in order to be offered housing - she has proven her social responsibility and low risk to generate crime.

Btw, I have never been to the USSR (or Russia, or any place that was a part of the USSR), plus I think Russia actually has some type of incentive for MORE kids because the birth rate is very low in entire Eastern Europe (which, like everywhere else where the birth rates have dropped, parallels the increased standard of living).

Last edited by elnrgby; 06-27-2020 at 10:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City