Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 07:44 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,560,017 times

Advertisements

If you walk around many precincts you'll find BMWs and even Porsches driven by NYPD. Must be doing really well for a public servant. I'm all for the cuts but it won't do much for future payments. NY will just borrow to keep paying for pension and healthcare for all the laid off and retired NYPD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 07:48 AM

383 posts, read 171,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If you walk around many precincts you'll find BMWs and even Porsches driven by NYPD. Must be doing really well for a public servant.
They’re doing really well for a low-skilled job, let’s call a spade a spade.
It’s harder in NYC to obtain a TLC license (and more dangerous and 100 times harder to be a cab driver) than Police. Actually can Sri ses rank higher on the scale of risky jobs.
It is extremely complicated to be a teacher in NYS (and this is a qualified job, not a low skilled one like police officer)

At the end of the day a job that requires nothing to be hired and hires everyone should be called what it is : low skilled, and should be paid accordingly.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:52 AM

36,964 posts, read 38,977,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BX_Fly View Post
They’re doing really well for a low-skilled job, let’s call a spade a spade.
It’s harder in NYC to obtain a TLC license (and more dangerous and 100 times harder to be a cab driver) than Police. Actually can Sri ses rank higher on the scale of risky jobs.
It is extremely complicated to be a teacher in NYS (and this is a qualified job, not a low skilled one like police officer)

At the end of the day a job that requires nothing to be hired and hires everyone should be called what it is : low skilled, and should be paid accordingly.
I think some of the work is probably something that can be paid a bit less and even handed off to different departments. However, the portions that require actually having a role that can determine if someone ends up being physically hurt or killed should have its candidates be screened much better, standards set higher, and trained to a much higher standard and that should require decent pay (such as the pay they have now).

Old 07-02-2020, 08:16 AM

18,898 posts, read 13,788,646 times
Where we are today is what happens when people who know nothing about the police department or policing suddenly have a voice in important decisions. Thankfully this will no longer be my problem in 22 days!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-02-2020, 08:24 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,379,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think some of the work is probably something that can be paid a bit less and even handed off to different departments. However, the portions that require actually having a role that can determine if someone ends up being physically hurt or killed should have its candidates be screened much better, standards set higher,unfortunately they had to start lowering their standards back in the 90's to meet certain quotas and trained to a much higher standard and that should require decent pay (such as the pay they have now) you say the great pay they receive now. However Westchester,Nassau,and Suffolk all earn much higher salaries. Remember salaries reflect the cost of living for a certain area. Where can one live/raise a family on $100,000 in NYC?.
And to all the haters envious types who say how easy and unskilled it is. Why didn't you take the test? It's an open exam.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:31 AM

2,037 posts, read 1,087,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Where we are today is what happens when people who know nothing about the police department or policing suddenly have a voice in important decisions. Thankfully this will no longer be my problem in 22 days!

Good for you, man. Keep out of harm's way, moving to a small town and a more pleasant lifestyle for your family. Don't forget your guns, lol.

I did the same, and driving into the city last week, was so pissed at all the detours from construction that I just drove back to my small town, nixed half my errands in Montreal. Traffic has become as crazy as before Covid, and the nutjobs behind the wheel, nuttier.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:41 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,638,868 times
It's not the same NYC as two months ago. If you challenge people on the street for doing something wrong they are going to go at you. Saw a guy riding his bike on the Major Degan yesterday, he didn't give a crap. Nobody gives a crap anymore they know nobody is going to stop them

Old 07-02-2020, 08:46 AM

36,964 posts, read 38,977,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
And to all the haters envious types who say how easy and unskilled it is. Why didn't you take the test? It's an open exam.
Well, because I have opportunities to be paid much more in the private sector for work that's much more aligned with my skillset and I unfortunately do want more money. I'm also not the one saying that their salaries should be reduced--I'm saying that the bar should be set higher as I think would be obvious in my post that you quoted. I don't think high standards would be easy to have if the salaries were drastically cut, and I view a salary cut to be counter to trying for better candidates. I do think some of the operations the NYPD does could be shifted out of NYPD and/or automated more and I think it's possible that we are putting too wide of a scope of work to NYPD to everyone's detriment including NYPD rank and file. I'm not on the ACAB or a complete defund the police wagon at all. Even when you talk about cites in countries that arguably have a higher quality of life and lower crime rates, they certainly have police departments.

No comment on Westchester, Nassau or Suffolk county police because I honestly don't know much about those departments. Is a lot of their municipal budgets spent on their police departments? More so than for NYC?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-02-2020 at 08:57 AM..

Old 07-02-2020, 09:05 AM

11,195 posts, read 9,025,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
AOC has got some mouth on her and a pair for a lady. Yet this loon was easily reelected in primary two weeks ago.... Her district deserves whatever they've got coming to them.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/01/aoc-de...es-just-wrong/
She built a brand. That is all you need nowadays!

Old 07-02-2020, 09:20 AM

383 posts, read 171,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Because the “haters” in question do not want this as a career, as easy as enrollment maybe.
It’s a very special type of mentality. Just not humanely rewarding enough.
And the fact that it is that easy is also a problem, meaning you don’t need to be that special, nothing amazing about “qualifying” for a high-paid low-skilled job.

Not every grown adult has this little kid’s dream of “when I grow up I’ll be a cop and I’ll put all the bad guys in jail, and my daddy is stronger than yours”.

It’s not the way most people see the police, and the fact that average individuals are terrorized by them (instead of feeling protected) is everything but normal. I can understand former East Germans feeling this way about the Stasi, not in the land of the free though, abnormal.

Unless you want to be high ranked, but it takes going to college (and actually graduating), with a high GPA, and you end up doing something more mentally rewarding than being a stray dog sniffing people’s asses for marijuana.

Again, make it a requirement to have a semi-pro athlete/fighter training, or some type of navy seal training with physical and physiological requirements (and deep knowledge of anatomy and physiology), and you’ll have a much more efficient much more professional police force.

I’ve sparred with a few cops (those trying to have a few fight skills), while getting ready for fights, it was insane the weakness of their bodies, the lack of stamina, and, the quitter mentalities I have encountered. It’s very telling about who is in the “forces”. Yet they have everything tailor-made for them. You wanna be a rough guy? Work on being one.

You want to be highly paid on the taxpayer’s back ??? Earn it !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City