Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 05:01 PM

383 posts, read 171,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
gentrify aka whitenize
Suburban whitenize, flabby-suburban-white-American-whitenize, there are lots of original Bronx (and Brooklyn) white people, born and raised, and immigrants.

Also, when I lived in North-Brooklyn, there were TONS of black people who had just came recently, graduated from such and such Universities (and often being looked down upon by local people, seeing them as another type of gentrifiers), worked in tech, top jobs in the bank industry, and all that, drinking craft beer at a black bougie bar, but using their ethnic background to claim they hate these gentrifiers and hipsters (when they're part of it, they all come from Atlanta,Southern California, the Midwest etc...), and while drinking a glass of Californian Rose, bopped their head to Biggie while sporting a man bun, wearing a hawaian shirt or a Made-in-China Dashiki, two hems on their shorts with moccasins, taking part in paint'n sip nights...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 06:23 PM

6,219 posts, read 3,549,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BX_Fly View Post
Suburban whitenize, flabby-suburban-white-American-whitenize, there are lots of original Bronx (and Brooklyn) white people, born and raised, and immigrants.

Also, when I lived in North-Brooklyn, there were TONS of black people who had just came recently, graduated from such and such Universities (and often being looked down upon by local people, seeing them as another type of gentrifiers), worked in tech, top jobs in the bank industry, and all that, drinking craft beer at a black bougie bar, but using their ethnic background to claim they hate these gentrifiers and hipsters (when they're part of it, they all come from Atlanta,Southern California, the Midwest etc...), and while drinking a glass of Californian Rose, bopped their head to Biggie while sporting a man bun, wearing a hawaian shirt or a Made-in-China Dashiki, two hems on their shorts with moccasins, taking part in paint'n sip nights...
I've known transplants who would complain about transplants in such a manner.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:19 PM

36,945 posts, read 38,939,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Right. East Asians are doing their own gentrification in places like Bensonhurst and Flushing, while many of the typical hippie type of gentrifiers are not white. A lot of the hipster transplants I know in Bushwick and Bed Stuy are Latino, black, and Asian.
Well, it depends on how loose of a term you want gentrification to be. If people are mostly leaving for what they perceive to be greater economic pastures, even if they’re ultimately wrong, that’s still not really gentrification to me. Gentrification is a lot more about push factors for groups of people.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:22 PM

1,486 posts, read 976,762 times
Quote:
I've known transplants who would complain about transplants in such a manner.
LMAO!! That takes me back to when I was dating a Chinese female who immigrated here at a young age, grew up in Queens, and all she did was complain about Asian FOBs.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:07 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,510,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Landlords in area going use excuse to raise rents because of that development in area
so that will expedite the gentrification process.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:22 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,510,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Here's the website for the new buildings, The Arches

https://www.thearches.com/building.html
only the $3500 2 br apts have washer/dryer in unit.
lugging my laundry downstairs to a shared laundromat doesn't sound like luxury to me.

this quote sums it up:
"Now with 450+ units about to hit the market and thousands more on the way in this terrible COVID-19 economy, who’s going to pay Manhattan prices to live in The Bronx without the Manhattan amenities?"

they're going to have a tough next couple of years trying to fill all those units.
I would rather pay another $1000 to live IN the city and not deal with the annoyances that come with being in the south bx.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, it depends on how loose of a term you want gentrification to be. If people are mostly leaving for what they perceive to be greater economic pastures, even if they’re ultimately wrong, that’s still not really gentrification to me. Gentrification is a lot more about push factors for groups of people.
Transplant and immigrant are two different things. And transplant doesn’t always mean gentrified. I doubt the Chinese in Bensonhurst gentrify the area in the sense that they open high-end businesses and live as such and drive real estate up like crazy.

Gentrified Brooklyn also has poor immigrant workers.

Old 07-09-2020, 03:22 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,692,273 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjkZ2rYKP6s

So here a promo video for the neighborhood

time 2:50

they go over the restaurants, some :

Hudson Smokehouse a new BBQ restaurant

https://www.nycbbq.com/blog/2020/6/1...o-survive-2020

Ceetay Japanese Sushi bar

facade

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/ceet...GbUG8IrRPkuPxg

yelp reviews , very mixed

https://www.yelp.com/biz/ceetay-bronx

Lit Bookstore and wine bar

(black owned)

facade

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/the-...3s7vbDPxiwWEKg

several inside pictures here

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/the-...Y4BsMlGqLO4Tpg

mainly good reviews

"I recently came here for the first time. I heard about this bookstore on the news, and I was more than happy to come here and support a Bronx business. The bookstore itself carries a good selection of mostly multicultural books by multicultural authors. That was a definite plus for me. The bar is another plus. I was able to order a glass of wine, listen to soothing music, while reading a book. "

Beatstro

"Established in 2018.

The establishment is the first Hip-Hop themed restaurant in The Bronx, and the brainchild of businessmen Junior Martinez, an accomplished restaurateur and Alfredo Anguiera, a Bronx born-and-raised entrepreneur. The two already have one successful project under their belts: The Bronx Draft House, a restaurant located two blocks east of Yankee Stadium and offering various craft beer from all over New York State. They are also owners of Bricks and Hops, a beer garden opening this summer.
Our cuisine is an expression of the two cultures that created Hip Hop- African and Puerto Rican. We combined and broadened the two giving you a fusion that's exciting as well as delicious!

facade

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/beat...sRI9mnV4wE04og

interior photos

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/beat...sD6-_dxEq9R6RQ

menu

https://www.yelp.com/menu/beatstro-bronx

Old 07-09-2020, 12:03 PM

6,219 posts, read 3,549,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BX_Fly View Post
Transplant and immigrant are two different things. And transplant doesn’t always mean gentrified. I doubt the Chinese in Bensonhurst gentrify the area in the sense that they open high-end businesses and live as such and drive real estate up like crazy.

Gentrified Brooklyn also has poor immigrant workers.
The Chinese these days drive up property values and open up higher end restaurants for middle class and up immigrants ans ABCs. So I don't see why that doesn't count as gentrification, they have a lot of wealth in their community.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
The Chinese these days drive up property values and open up higher end restaurants for middle class and up immigrants ans ABCs. So I don't see why that doesn't count as gentrification, they have a lot of wealth in their community.
There is no doubt they gentrified Flushing, Queens, as warehouses go down, luxury buildings come up and the restaurants there are amazing. Flushing is young an prosperous.

Flushing, Queens is nothing like your old school Chinatown, it looks like a contemporary Chinese downtown. I'll definitely count Flushing as gentrification.

But Sunset Park/Borough Park/Bensonhurst.... nothing fancy last time I checked...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City