Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 08:33 AM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
While driving down there last week i managed to snap a few pics of the building but can seem to get anyway near it as all the streets are blocked or one way only.

Snapped a few pics of the Joinery too, sucks so bad to pay 500K and the view is an abandoned gas station, mechanic shops and sanitation parking lot.
Then again, abandoned gas station, mechanic shops, and sanitation parking lots are relatively easy to redevelop--but then again, you'd be staring at the windows of the other high rises instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 08:35 AM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BX_Fly View Post
Yeah.... the 150,000 2Br apartments that were available in 2011 went up to 450,000 a few years later.... everything that has the name Brooklyn is ridiculous nowadays. Industry City pushed that even further and their streetcar project is not going to help.

I remember visiting a place there 10 years ago, first thing the realtor (who by the way was of Chinese descent) said was "this is the next Park Slope". But this was more towards 4th and 5th Avenue, so largely Hispanic area.
They're also redeveloping the Brooklyn Army Terminal now. Even put in a ferry terminal stop.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:32 AM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
While driving down there last week i managed to snap a few pics of the building but can seem to get anyway near it as all the streets are blocked or one way only.

Snapped a few pics of the Joinery too, sucks so bad to pay 500K and the view is an abandoned gas station, mechanic shops and sanitation parking lot.
I took some too last week and couldn't get them to load. Just normal camera from my Android phone.
Whats your secret ?

Old 07-13-2020, 03:23 PM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I took some too last week and couldn't get them to load. Just normal camera from my Android phone.
Whats your secret ?
You have to resize them and make sure they are under 4MB each and frame width and height cant be higher than 4000 x 3000.

Open them in an image viewer and resize them

Old 07-14-2020, 02:55 AM

965 posts, read 1,113,365 times
Those asking prices for the neighborhood are HOR.. TO THE R TO THE BLEEEEE.

I live in the neighborhood, and while it is exciting to see this stuff happen, it's just not worth the asking price. Slash the prices in half and we may have an argument. For $1,300 a month for a one bedroom, Hell, I'd move there in an instant. Brand new construction is nice, but not for $2600 starting for a one bedroom in an area that is barren.

I took an Uber to the office today and passed by L.I.C. If I had the money for $2600 a month, I'd much prefer L.I.C.

For ONCE... why couldn't they just create a "luxury" building like this for the lower middle income earners. There are TONS and I mean tons of stock for solid middle and upper income earners. Affordable housing covers lower income. Then you have lower middle left eating dust. Smh.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:06 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post

I live in the neighborhood, and while it is exciting to see this stuff happen, it's just not worth the asking price. Slash the prices in half and we may have an argument. For $1,300 a month for a one bedroom, Hell, I'd move there in an instant. Brand new construction is nice, but not for $2600 starting for a one bedroom in an area that is barren.

I took an Uber to the office today and passed by L.I.C. If I had the money for $2600 a month, I'd much prefer L.I.C.

For ONCE... why couldn't they just create a "luxury" building like this for the lower middle income earners. There are TONS and I mean tons of stock for solid middle and upper income earners. Affordable housing covers lower income. Then you have lower middle left eating dust. Smh.
Sorry buddy, current construction costs make it that way. This is why the industry is currently exploring using different materials/building methods to cut costs, i.e. modular construction, passive housing, 3D printing, hempcrete, just to name a few

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-14-2020, 08:14 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,522,403 times
Quote:

one word. profit.

secondly, there's the issue of maintenance and sustainability.
i own several properties and have noticed a pattern with the "socioeconomic" class of renters.

the more wealthy renters keep the place clean, in good shape, and care for it like it's their own.
the poorer renters trash the place within months, if not weeks. they turned a relatively nice apartment of mine into absolute filth.

how much money is it going to cost the owners the building to rehabilitate the apt each time the tenants move out. and this doesn't even speak to the headaches involved with late/non-payment of rent (although covid could cause even well to do tenants to lose their jobs and ability to pay rent, but I'm talking under normal circumstances).
you just don't want to deal with that class of renters.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:28 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Sorry buddy, current construction costs make it that way. This is why the industry is currently exploring using different materials/building methods to cut costs, i.e. modular construction, passive housing, 3D printing, hempcrete, just to name a few

Land and labor all over NYC is too expensive to ever build apartments for the middle-class. Even in the Bronx. Here on S.I. new 2-family homes sell in the $1M range, and that's with the lowest land costs, so imagine what it costs to put up apartment buildings in the rest of the city.

The Bronx is the last frontier for apartment construction. Everywhere else in NYC either has much higher land acquisition costs or is not zoned for apartment buildings - -

https://newyorkyimby.com/?s=bronx&or...ate&order=desc

Old 07-14-2020, 08:33 AM

965 posts, read 1,113,365 times
Makes sense, gentlemen.

Given what's going on, I can't see these buildings filling up to capacity anytime soon if ever. There are better options elsewhere, ie L.I.C, Downtown Brooklyn, etc. Mott Haven has a very long way to go.

Proximity to the city is literally the only thing it's got going for it at the moment, but so does L.I.C and Downtown Brooklyn. L.I.C is still pretty barren, but at least nicer. Downtown Brooklyn has the proximity and the amenities.

Still gonna keep my eye on this one.

Edit: So my question is do you guys think they are going taller? The buildings look nice but are on the shorter side compared to the new constructions elsewhere. At the moment the only "high rises of note" are Tracy Towers and the River Park Towers... but we won't get into the details of those for obvious reasons, just the height. Haha.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:46 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
Makes sense, gentlemen.

Given what's going on, I can't see these buildings filling up to capacity anytime soon if ever. There are better options elsewhere, ie L.I.C, Downtown Brooklyn, etc. Mott Haven has a very long way to go.

Proximity to the city is literally the only thing it's got going for it at the moment, but so does L.I.C and Downtown Brooklyn. L.I.C is still pretty barren, but at least nicer. Downtown Brooklyn has the proximity and the amenities.

Still gonna keep my eye on this one.

Edit: So my question is do you guys think they are going taller? The buildings look nice but are on the shorter side compared to the new constructions elsewhere. At the moment the only "high rises of note" are Tracy Towers and the River Park Towers... but we won't get into the details of those for obvious reasons, just the height. Haha.

The height depends on the zoning, which can vary block to block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City