Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 01:35 PM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
BX15 is notoriously slow, I've even beaten it walking a few times.
Too many stops and it goes all the way to Fordham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
very slow.. and the new bike lanes they put on willis don't help either

they need to make the bx15 SBS... it makes no sense
Yes, if they would have a double SBS15 that only stopped at train stations in Manhattan and the Bronx it would flow better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 01:35 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
no good office space and buildings, no museums, no nice restaurants, no nightclubs, no really good shopping, no nothing...

they just gave the bx 2 malls, a zoo, a stadium, and said look... live here
Will disagree on buildings, museums, and restaurants. Can't say much for nightclub or shopping because I've never looked for much of either up there.

The botanic garden is fantastic. The Bronx also has a few universities including the oddball SUNY Maritime College and two of the specialized high schools. It has some pretty good parks, too, and at least one fantastic cemetery. Most importantly, it has Parkchester.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:31 PM

383 posts, read 173,510 times
Quote:
there is NOTHING in the bx....

they really have to come up with a plan to give it what i call "draw".
What’s considered nothing and what’s considered something?
Hipsters back when I lived in Brooklyn bragged that where they live “before there was nothing”.
Nothing that looks like them (bars with craft beer and rock music, coffee shops etc...) there were ethnic food restaurants, dive bars affordable groceries ...

The East Bronx has traditional European cafes, Jamaican restaurants, pubs, Latin fusion restaurants, Italian and Albanian restaurants, bengladeshi and Yemeni businesses and restaurants and hookah bars,and people like it.
Riverdale, Fieldston and Spuyten Duyvil are on the fancier side, like Brooklyn heights but half the price for everything, full of bars and restaurants.
Woodlawn Heights has many many places to socialize, mostly Irish though.
It’s not trendy like Harlem or Fort Greene but so what? It’s old New York.
As an adult, hipster bars or even Harlem type of bars that are the product of gentrification are not what fill up a refrigerator.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX_Fly View Post
Hipsters back when I lived in Brooklyn bragged that where they live “before there was nothing”.
Nothing that looks like them (bars with craft beer and rock music, coffee shops etc...) there were ethnic food restaurants, dive bars affordable groceries ...

The East Bronx has traditional European cafes, Jamaican restaurants, pubs, Latin fusion restaurants, Italian and Albanian restaurants, bengladeshi and Yemeni businesses and restaurants and hookah bars,and people like it.
Riverdale, Fieldston and Spuyten Duyvil are on the fancier side, like Brooklyn heights but half the price for everything, full of bars and restaurants.
As an adult, hipster bars or even Harlem type of bars that are the product of gentrification are not what fill up a refrigerator.
Good Mexican, West African, and delicatessen options, too.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:36 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
there is NOTHING in the bx....

they really have to come up with a plan to give it what i call "draw".

A coworker of mine stayed at a hotel in the bronx which didnt look like much

Old 07-07-2020, 04:45 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BX_Fly View Post

A lot of The Bronx doesn't even have watering hole type of places, though. Kingsbridge and Woodlawn do but they're upscale for Bronx standards. I would be genuinely surprised if there were even 10 standalone bars in the entire South Bronx.

Edit: not counting the Yankee stadium area for obvious reasons

Old 07-07-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
A lot of The Bronx doesn't even have watering hole type of places, though. Kingsbridge and Woodlawn do but they're upscale for Bronx standards. I would be genuinely surprised if there were even 10 standalone bars in the entire South Bronx.

Edit: not counting the Yankee stadium area for obvious reasons
What’s your definition of the South Bronx and what’s your definition of a standalone bar? Any place that serves food doesn’t count?

And why not the Yankee stadium area? Is that not part of the South Bronx. I’d understand it if we’re discounting bars within the stadium itself that you need an event ticket to access, but the area around Yankee Stadium is accessible to people whether or not they’re going to an event.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:10 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Too many stops and it goes all the way to Fordham.

Yes, if they would have a double SBS15 that only stopped at train stations in Manhattan and the Bronx it would flow better.
125th doesn't even need buses on it, dedicated light rail

And over one of those Harlem River bridges

I would create one big linked CBD for the northern part of the city

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-07-2020, 06:16 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

And why not the Yankee stadium area? Is that not part of the South Bronx. I’d understand it if we’re discounting bars within the stadium itself that you need an event ticket to access, but the area around Yankee Stadium is accessible to people whether or not they’re going to an event.
Most places around the stadium close during the off season. Some aren't even open unless their is a game.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:27 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What’s your definition of the South Bronx and what’s your definition of a standalone bar? Any place that serves food doesn’t count?

Well I feel like the bars are only there because of the crowds of drunk Yankee fans that support them. You're right that they're accessible regardless, but their presence is more of a unique situation.

And for bars, I wouldn't discount them as bars just for selling food, but I tend to think of places as bars if they make their money mostly by serving alcohol.

I guess I would consider anything up to the 170s and West of the Bronx River as the South Bronx.

If you know of any, I'd be happy to know for when the lockdown ends. I've been curious about this, but haven't been able to find many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City