Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 05:13 AM

910 posts, read 752,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
True with the over price food and drinks out there. However, there are ways that people can save money while eating out, but not the change of $10 to $1. For instance, one can eat breakfast and lunch together, and if the person spend $10, that would be average of $5 per meal, I would consider it pretty good. For the coffee, either quit and just drink water or find a cheap alternative ($8.99 unlimited coffee at Panera bread per month).

Hopefully this should be good enough for people to save some money.
Sure, but how many people really have the discipline to do this or organize themselves in such a way? My former roommate never cooked for himself (he could not cook if his life depended on it) and he used to order meals that would last days since he was not a big eater. I can definitely see that in some cases.

8.99 UNLIMITED at Panera? Wow, I did not know that. However, not everyone lives near a Panera bread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oycrumbler
I make a lot of things from scratch and my pantry is wide and gets updated a lot since it's two people cooking from different backgrounds, but am I really going to make fuqi feipian, double cooked pork, smashed cucumbers and a sour mustard greens fish soup for a nice meal after a long workday? I might make one of the four, but I'm probably not making all of them if I've been working all day and won't necessarily have all the ingredients on hand or have them on hand with the confidence that I won't have some of it going to waste. Pasta I usually make at home as that can be pretty simple and satisfying unless I'm going through literally making the pasta itself which does take longer. I'm also lucky in that getting delivery isn't a bad splurge relative to my budget as I'm opting for $800 per person sushi jewel box or the like for delivery. My orders are generally an order of magnitude less than that.
This makes more sense, I guess. I tend to cook very old-fashioned style meals and some would call it "bland"/"White food" so it is easier in that sense. If I were more adventurous in my palate, then I can see how the ingredients needed would be harder to keep/manage. Onions, salt and pepper are OK for me. As long as I have milk, flour and butter...lots of good things happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 07:31 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
Sure, but how many people really have the discipline to do this or organize themselves in such a way? My former roommate never cooked for himself (he could not cook if his life depended on it) and he used to order meals that would last days since he was not a big eater. I can definitely see that in some cases.

8.99 UNLIMITED at Panera? Wow, I did not know that. However, not everyone lives near a Panera bread.

This makes more sense, I guess. I tend to cook very old-fashioned style meals and some would call it "bland"/"White food" so it is easier in that sense. If I were more adventurous in my palate, then I can see how the ingredients needed would be harder to keep/manage. Onions, salt and pepper are OK for me. As long as I have milk, flour and butter...lots of good things happen.
I’m glad you’re happy with your cooking. I’m just curious about what your interest in this topic would be if you aren’t in the city, didn’t order delivery when you lived here, and didn’t initially think about ordering different foods due to a less adventurous palette even though the original post cited Chinese hot pot and Thai boat noodles.

Anyhow, anyone else living in the city who orders delivery see a ton of new options and some interesting techniques you haven’t seen before?

Old 07-08-2020, 10:52 AM

910 posts, read 752,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I’m glad you’re happy with your cooking. I’m just curious about what your interest in this topic would be if you aren’t in the city, didn’t order delivery when you lived here, and didn’t initially think about ordering different foods due to a less adventurous palette even though the original post cited Chinese hot pot and Thai boat noodles.
Because it always astounded me how so many people were into take out and delivery. NYC is probably, to my knowledge, the top in the world for this. I remember London and they do not do nearly as much delivery and takeout as NYC.

Where are you from, Oycrumbler?

Old 07-08-2020, 11:03 AM

6,635 posts, read 2,956,027 times
Some people just get tired of cooking all week and want a break. Even if you only did that one day, that's 8 million people in NYC, rotating around different days, making it feel like take out is 24/7. It's big business.

And yeah. with covid, I don't dine out. And want to be safe. But I want to still support restaurants I like..I want them to weather this thing as much as anyone, and be there when we get out of this.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:14 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Meh, I cook naked after sex without washing my hands. I'm a good cook, but maybe I should be worried that I'm cooking for me if we're talking about sanitary conditions.

That's great lol

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-08-2020, 12:18 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
At first we were ordering once a week but then my friend was asked to clean out the freezer at his job (executive chef) which resulted in me being given a TON of expensive meat so we've been cooking at home like kings lately.

I didn't delve into delivery alcohol because honestly I feel like it is a waste. I keep a pretty well stocked bar at home. I too noticed a big change to some restaurants' menus around me to adapt to the situation. Like burgers being delivered cooked properly when in the past delivery burgers were ALWAYS overcooked. But a lot of places simplified or changed their menus entirely to offer more delivery-esque foods. For example one pub-style restaurant by me started selling platters instead of individual dishes. My favorite BBQ spot as well. Lots of family style options to make it easier to order.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-08-2020, 01:10 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
How can you be excited to basically get food cooked by strangers where you do not know the sanitary conditions? Even when I lived in NYC, I RARELY ordered out or went to a restaurant. Too dirty for me and not fresh or healthy enough.
I hope you're a great cook

Food poisoning due to unsanitary conditions at restaurants seems to be low, in part because of the health department's licensing requirements and spot checks (I believe that places still have a letter health grade from the health department hanging in the window).

I eat out regularly in NYC (many thousands of times by now) and have survived without incident. .

To me, eating out is part of the fun of living in a large, multi-ethnic city, especially as I cannot (or do not want to always, in the case where I can make a dish) make every dish that I like to eat.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:17 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
At first we were ordering once a week but then my friend was asked to clean out the freezer at his job (executive chef) which resulted in me being given a TON of expensive meat so we've been cooking at home like kings lately.

I didn't delve into delivery alcohol because honestly I feel like it is a waste. I keep a pretty well stocked bar at home. I too noticed a big change to some restaurants' menus around me to adapt to the situation. Like burgers being delivered cooked properly when in the past delivery burgers were ALWAYS overcooked. But a lot of places simplified or changed their menus entirely to offer more delivery-esque foods. For example one pub-style restaurant by me started selling platters instead of individual dishes. My favorite BBQ spot as well. Lots of family style options to make it easier to order.
That sounds good. Honestly, I've been ordering out way too much where I am, but I still find that it's not as expensive to the budget that I thought it would be. I make it a point to eat out at inexpensive places and try to order in portion sizes large enough to last at least two meals; today I ordered a medium pizza from a local spot that will last two meals at least.

Alcohol is one thing that I am not ordering from restaurants during these covid times, and I generally shied away from doing so pre-covid also as I found the restaurant prices to be a ripoff.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Because it always astounded me how so many people were into take out and delivery. NYC is probably, to my knowledge, the top in the world for this. I remember London and they do not do nearly as much delivery and takeout as NYC.

Where are you from, Oycrumbler?
I'm from Los Angeles by way of Taiwan, but I sort of moved all over domestically and internationally (and not as a jetsetter but because of economic and legal issues from being a poor immigrant that I had little control over as a minor, but later on moved by choice)! NYC seems far from the top of the world in terms of delivery. I've worked in East and Southeast Asia in Modern Timesâ„¢, and it felt limited in comparison when I moved here to NYC for the first time over a decade ago. However, it is very good even pre-covid compared to other US cities I've been in. It's just gotten even better now. Food, festivities, ****ing and groceries from myriad cultures have to me been one of the fantastic pluses of being in NYC compared to other parts of the US however crass that may seem to some. It's a weird thing and obviously part and parcel of this is still having work to some extent and our own place, but this pandemic has made me appreciate living in the city even more.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-08-2020 at 03:34 PM..

Old 07-08-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

That's great lol
I'm goddamn hungry afterwards if I'm not sleepy! Lady made her bed, now she's got to eat in it, but I think I do a decent job even if it's not necessarily up to A grade restaurant sanitation standards.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-08-2020 at 03:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: