Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 03:36 PM

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
UPDATE:

Got a call from them. Without getting into very specific details for obvious reasons, the deal is actually quite good:

I get to start in September and will be able to work remotely for the foreseeable future! I will NOT be working a 40 hour week. In fact, my week will be under 30 hours! Due to that fact, my salary was slightly adjusted (but still quite high considering the hours put in!). I also get a 401k and the health insurance option is not too bad. I basically had two deals to choose from: 40+ hours/week, working in person. OR, slightly less money (but same benefits) working much fewer hours. Oh! and any extra time I do OVER those hours would be paid extra! So for example if they needed me to put in extra hours on say, a Friday, I could do that and would be paid for it apart from my usual salary!

So, a scenario would be like this:

Let's say you do 28 hours: $100,000/year (same benefits)

40+hours: $152,000/year (same benefits, actually, FEWER vacation days) but more of an "authority" position, which would look good on a resume, but is not vital to me.

Considering the difference in salaries, I think the best option for me right now is remote (with the option of going higher and back to NYC if I felt like it).

In summary: I took the position and can stay at my location! So no, I won't be going to NYC for now. That's a relief that I can do everything from home and live in a peaceful setting. It is exactly what I wanted!

Good move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 04:23 PM

5,813 posts, read 2,940,694 times
Working from home is so much easier. Calmer. Less interactions with noise, pollution, people, attitudes.
I’m loving it. Also love 30 hour work weeks.
There is more to life than working to death.

Old 09-03-2020, 06:05 PM

5,676 posts, read 2,608,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Working from home is so much easier. Calmer. Less interactions with noise, pollution, people, attitudes.
I’m loving it. Also love 30 hour work weeks.
There is more to life than working to death.
Everyone I know working from home is having to put in more hours and are working harder. They all want to go back to the office!

Old 09-03-2020, 06:23 PM

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Everyone I know working from home is having to put in more hours and are working harder. They all want to go back to the office!
Not me, nor my colleagues. I want wfh forever. It is awesome. Great deli within a 4 minute walk of my Ct home, so start day with NY Post, nice breakfast, relax, and then start work. Was watching Yankees-Mets game tonight by 4:45.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:54 PM

910 posts, read 753,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
They need to just chill and let you work from home. I was offered to work in the office too in Midtown and really didn't see the point.
Exactly. Our company CEO's are mostly boomer types who get real nervous about this, but they finally "let go" after a lot of us complained about going back to NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960
Not me, nor my colleagues. I want wfh forever. It is awesome. Great deli within a 4 minute walk of my Ct home, so start day with NY Post, nice breakfast, relax, and then start work. Was watching Yankees-Mets game tonight by 4:45.
Ha! I was thinking the same. Maybe if they have a bad job, things are worse from home, but it's definitely not the case with me. I wake up, don't have to greet anyone or engage in dumb small talk with people I dislike anyway. I make my own coffee and like you I start the day reading the newspapers...I typically wake up 3 hours before I have to face work and can enjoy preparing meals, reading, unwinding and best of all, no NYC thugs roaming around under Dumblazio's protection. Oh! And the space! Huge sprawling Victorian mansions and colonial farms, majority language spoken is English and there are US flags everywhere.

One thing I did not like though about up here is that the yards and gardens do not typically have fences. Shortly after I moved, I had large and high stone walls erected all around the property, as the English tend to do for their gardens. "Tall fences make good neighbors".

You can also dress only from the waist up and with your pjs as you go Zoom and do all things online. No ID to swipe at some building, no spending money on midtown/downtown overpriced box lunches, no endless sounds of sirens and honking...oh yes, the countryside is much better!

CT is great too. Some of my colleagues recently bought great homes there and also are thrilled to be away from the dirty, slow and dangerous subways.

Last edited by canovas; 09-03-2020 at 08:02 PM..

Old 09-03-2020, 08:02 PM

5,676 posts, read 2,608,456 times
Canovas sounds like you could use working in the office again. Seems like you don't have much to do at home or anyone to talk to that you want to give us your step by step on your situation

Old 09-03-2020, 08:04 PM

910 posts, read 753,169 times
Quote:
Canovas sounds like you could use working in the office again. Seems like you don't have much to do at home or anyone to talk to that you want to give us your step by step on your situation
Oh no! I'm not "office" material, believe me. I'm actually on vacation now for several days. I give you the update on the situation since I hope to serve as an inspiration for people still debating about whether to leave NYC or stay.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:26 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,316 times
I'm willing to bet that canovas is an incel who have been blackpilled from living in NYC lol. Enjoy workmaxxing from home and wallmaxxing to keep out the undesirable elements.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:05 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
Quote:
You are the same one who wants to go out dancing on a broken ankle in 95 degree heat no mask and saying you're going stir crazy.

People like you are why Texas and Florida cases are surging. Why not go down there if you value liberty over your life?

Old 09-04-2020, 10:54 PM

1,034 posts, read 446,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
Exactly. Our company CEO's are mostly boomer types who get real nervous about this, but they finally "let go" after a lot of us complained about going back to NYC.

Ha! I was thinking the same. Maybe if they have a bad job, things are worse from home, but it's definitely not the case with me. I wake up, don't have to greet anyone or engage in dumb small talk with people I dislike anyway. I make my own coffee and like you I start the day reading the newspapers...I typically wake up 3 hours before I have to face work and can enjoy preparing meals, reading, unwinding and best of all, no NYC thugs roaming around under Dumblazio's protection. Oh! And the space! Huge sprawling Victorian mansions and colonial farms, majority language spoken is English and there are US flags everywhere.

One thing I did not like though about up here is that the yards and gardens do not typically have fences. Shortly after I moved, I had large and high stone walls erected all around the property, as the English tend to do for their gardens. "Tall fences make good neighbors".

You can also dress only from the waist up and with your pjs as you go Zoom and do all things online. No ID to swipe at some building, no spending money on midtown/downtown overpriced box lunches, no endless sounds of sirens and honking...oh yes, the countryside is much better!

CT is great too. Some of my colleagues recently bought great homes there and also are thrilled to be away from the dirty, slow and dangerous subways.
The WFH situation will soon find a medium. There's no question that productivity is down. The top 20-30% who were very productive before are probably as productive or more now. However, do you really think that the bottom 20-30% who weren't productive at the office are now suddenly productive at home? It's almost a certainty they're less productive.

What I see happening is companies are either going to (try to) cut the bottom 20-30% and replace them with more productive workers (since they have a larger pool due to WFH now) or go back to 2-3 days a week in the office.
Or course, it'll be dependent on group and manager within each company but offices will be back in play in 2021. Also, many will tire of full time WFH. I think the happy medium is part time WFH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: