Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 08:56 AM

2,982 posts, read 1,165,820 times

Advertisements

What robert moses did to bronx and what he was planning for the rest of the city in the 60s was a Crime against humanity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 11:06 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,125,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Boorgong, I like your poem but for that last rhyme. Instead of "Hudson" could you somehow work in Extreme Unction, or compunction.

like:
But so much of the architecture past 1950 cries out for Extreme Unction.

I agree, so much of that glass box corporate architecture looks like it was designed by a free on-line app. "Architect" need only put in 3 variables: L x W x H and you get a blueprint for $9.95...free shipping.

Penn Station is plug-ugly, except for the remodelled NJ Transit section. That's pretty neat.

Yes, but rhyming is OK when it ain't perfectly aligned, you need to trip over words like a misstep, that is where they become "unctuous". Lol

Those three massive, identical towers on 6th Avenue btwn 48th and fiftieth and the clones nearby are the best examples of the nonsensical. It draws up that "Little Black Dress" ideal of International style of architecture in general, Post-Modernism had to inevitably come back and bring back play into the field.

One of the best of that in NYC is Philip Johnson's former AT&T bldg (550 Madison). It is a humorous gesture, which is rare in architecture.

Old 07-11-2020, 01:37 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
This statement makes no sense because it's connected to Madison Square Garden and across from the MSG TV station with tons of cabs always in the area? How the hell can that be the worst?

Old 07-11-2020, 02:19 PM

295 posts, read 281,530 times
I used to go through both Port Authority and Penn Station early in the morning for different jobs in NJ and at the Port Authority the homeless would either shuffle through or the police would move them on if I was in the boarding area. Penn Station was practically a homeless shelter. After a while I got tired of it and would just take the PATH train out to Newark Penn to catch my train and bypass NY Penn altogether. Newark Penn wasn’t much better but it was an easy transition from PATH to NJT. One thing that NY Penn has going for it (or had - haven’t been there since before covid) was all the places to grab a snack. Plus it’s a nexus for four different transit systems so it’s interesting in that regard.

Old 07-12-2020, 04:58 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
This statement makes no sense because it's connected to Madison Square Garden and across from the MSG TV station with tons of cabs always in the area? How the hell can that be the worst?
The station itself is poorly designed and often feels cramped and uninviting. It also looks dated without being historic, and the cherry on top is there’s the lasting legacy of a very beautiful building that was the former Penn station that was noted for its elegance which if were still around today would be considered a historic landmark.

That being said, there are much, much worse places than Penn Station. It’s probably up there in votes because it’s such a common shared experience.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:05 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
What robert moses did to bronx and what he was planning for the rest of the city in the 60s was a Crime against humanity!
I just created a new thread regarding what he was allowed to do to San Juan Hill. Here's an excerpt from the article:

Long before there was the New York City Ballet or Metropolitan Opera at Lincoln Center – before there was a Lincoln Center – there were the dance halls and jazz clubs of San Juan Hill. A hotbed of African-American culture, San Juan Hill gave birth to music and trends that quickly spread across the country. However, when violence and poverty in the neighborhood caught the attention of notorious city planner Robert Moses, it was quite literally wiped off the map.

He wielded so much power. My God. They didn't call him "The Power Broker" for nothing.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:17 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It also looks dated without being historic, and the cherry on top is there’s the lasting legacy of a very beautiful building that was the former Penn station...

It’s probably up there in votes because it’s such a common shared experience.
Yes. I couldn't express why I detest the bldg so much but you nailed it. It looks so old but not the good kind of old. And yeah, the article pretty much stated it's up there in most everyone's mind because it's a hard place to avoid.

"The transit hub, which sits just below Madison Square Garden, is home to three different railroads: Amtrak, New Jersey Transit, and Long Island Rail Road".

Old 07-12-2020, 08:34 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Really? Nah. I think the Port Authority can give Penn Station a run for it's money. Both are dingy, sketchy places I'll give you that but I think PA is sketchier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Grand central is a gem. Both port authority bus terminal and Penn Station are ugly.
PA is more airy. Higher ceilings. Penn Station feels more cramped.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:48 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
New York Central's "new" Grand Central Terminal was and is much better designed and laid out then PRR's Penn Station.

Grand Central Terminal has no stairs leading to and from platforms, just gently sloping ramps. This made it easy not just for those walking but movement of luggage, carts and anything on wheels.

Stairs always cause back-ups; you see in in subways all the time as people pile up to get u or down a staircase. Escalators aren't that much of a help as people still have to line up to get on. Neither are much help with baby carriages, wheelchairs, etc.. again any thing that rolls.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
PA is more airy. Higher ceilings. Penn Station feels more cramped.
And it always seems DIRTY. The same for MSG...going up those escalators is really disgusting. Port Authority is neck and neck with them. I always feel like I need a shower after any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City