Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 02:36 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times

Advertisements

I agree it's ugly but not sure if it's "the worst place in the city"...

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news...he-city-070820

This week, Penn Station began trending across the Twitter-sphere as the worst place in NYC, with many referring to it as their "hell on earth."

With the entirety of the structure's above ground portion demolished in 1963 to make way for Madison Square Garden, it's pretty much devoid of sunlight. Garishly lit with low-ceilings and pigeons hanging out overhead, some would say it has major dungeon vibes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 02:44 PM

910 posts, read 753,416 times
Clearly, they have not been to the Port Authority Bus Terminal then.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:11 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,179,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I agree it's ugly but not sure if it's "the worst place in the city"...

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news...he-city-070820

This week, Penn Station began trending across the Twitter-sphere as the worst place in NYC, with many referring to it as their "hell on earth."

With the entirety of the structure's above ground portion demolished in 1963 to make way for Madison Square Garden, it's pretty much devoid of sunlight. Garishly lit with low-ceilings and pigeons hanging out overhead, some would say it has major dungeon vibes.
Its sad that they tore down such a beautiful old time railway terminal. People in Chicago feel the same about the old Chicago Northwestern Terminal being torn down in 1984 to make way for the god awful Olgivie transit center!! Why must wonderful old places be destroyed for modern garbage!

Old 07-10-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Its sad that they tore down such a beautiful old time railway terminal. People in Chicago feel the same about the old Chicago Northwestern Terminal being torn down in 1984 to make way for the god awful Olgivie transit center!! Why must wonderful old places be destroyed for modern garbage!
Yep. I didn't know it was so beautiful until I saw old 40's movies where they had scenes at Penn Station.
Apparently, it was very difficult to demolish; it was built that sturdily. I'm glad they preserved Grand Central Station but it would've been nice if they did the same for Penn.

Old 07-10-2020, 05:14 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
Clearly, they have not been to the Port Authority Bus Terminal then.
Totally.

Old 07-10-2020, 05:22 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Grand Central, and even Port Auth better looking

Old 07-10-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Grand Central, and even Port Auth better looking
Really? Nah. I think the Port Authority can give Penn Station a run for it's money. Both are dingy, sketchy places I'll give you that but I think PA is sketchier.

Old 07-10-2020, 05:43 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Let's clear a few things up *again*.

Penn Central (one of the worst mergers in US corporate history) was bankrupt, kaput, dying, pushing up daisies. It could no longer afford to keep up that huge barn of a head house in years before it was sold and torn down, and this showed. For all the nostalgia and whatever about the "old Penn station" it was a hot mess of grime, filthy and deferred maintenance in those last years.

New York city and state had no interest in buying the property, so the RR sold it to someone who stepped up.

Penn station is and always has remained where it always was; underground. It was only the head house (station) that was torn down.

Jackie Kennedy Onassis and her friends had better luck "saving" Grand Central Terminal, but only just. While the landmark designation stood (thanks to SCOTUS) the place was also falling apart and gross as Penn Central didn't have money to keep up that barn of a place either.

Indeed Jackie Onassis and supporters of saving GCT worried that Penn-Central after losing their bid for an office tower, would just let the place fall to rack and ruin. Demolition by neglect..... That didn't happen only because powerful forces got the MTA to take out a 100 year lease on GCT (they are now in process of buying the property), and poured hundreds of millions in state and capital improvement funds into the place.

Old 07-10-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Let's clear a few things up *again*.
I know, Bugsy! You said all that in a previous thread but ...I can still lament that the old Penn Station was demolished for whatever reason. Not saying I'm losing sleep over it. It is just a bldg, not a person.

Old 07-10-2020, 06:03 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
It's not just Penn Station itself but the area. There's several methadone clincs and it's home to some of the most aggressive panhandling in the city. That whole area needs some more development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City