Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 06:05 AM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Umm former NYC resident here. Moved to PA and kept my NYC job. I know many others that have done the same. We’re commuting.
Where are you commuting from? I'm looking at moving near Philly and commuting once a week or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
Other states feel the same with our NY plates.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Don’t be a Karen...
You can tell the NY'ers by the way they drive like they're in NY.

Relax people, you'll get there. You don't have to fight every car on the road.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:21 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Where are you commuting from? I'm looking at moving near Philly and commuting once a week or so.
Tail end of the Poconos (Carbon County) close to start of the Lehigh Valley.

Another poster said many NYCers went to the Lehigh Valley. Not at all true, the large majority landed in Monroe County in the Poconos.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Tail end of the Poconos (Carbon County) close to start of the Lehigh Valley.

Another poster said many NYCers went to the Lehigh Valley. Not at all true, the large majority landed in Monroe County in the Poconos.
Yeah Monroe is definitely closest. I'm in Pike and I'd stay here if the schools were better

Old 07-13-2020, 11:52 AM

106,651 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Yeah Monroe is definitely closest. I'm in Pike and I'd stay here if the schools were better
We had pretty good schools in lake Wallenpaupack......we were part timers and our kids were grown but we heard excellent things about the schools

Old 07-14-2020, 08:03 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times
Quote:
Our local SD is fair for K-8, better than our surrounding SDs by leaps and bounds. The high school is mediocre in the stats but again, better than the HS in the surrounding SDs. If we had kids we'd have probably went the Catholic school route K-8 and private for HS.

I think for many folks they didn't really look at the local schools before buying. You would think for the amount of school taxes we're paying the schools would be far better than they are, especially in Monroe.

Nearly all of PA's best schools fall near Philly. Closest on the list to NEPA is in Breiginsville (near Allentown) Lehigh Valley schools outperform the Poconos and have for years. But the costs of living in LV are higher as well.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:51 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
PA area is the new drug mills since NJ police stepped up on drug raids in the past so it's moved to PA. The drug business is so huge in this area it is still doing extremely well during this pandemic and the BLM movement help drug dealers even more. I'm just shocked haven't seen many OD cases, maybe there are just not reported.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:01 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
I have seen some of the suspicious looking PA registered vehicles in the city. I had to chuckle and will have to tell a relative of mine that they're now in the less than reputable category because they have an Infiniti and live in Montgomery County, PA, though he usually takes Amtrak to his Manhattan office as opposed to driving.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-16-2020, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We had pretty good schools in lake Wallenpaupack......we were part timers and our kids were grown but we heard excellent things about the schools
I've heard that Paupack is a good district. I think I'm actually in the district too

Old 07-16-2020, 04:58 AM

106,651 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
I've heard that Paupack is a good district. I think I'm actually in the district too
most of these areas near the lake are excellent ....

it is a lot of boaters and they are part timers .. lake wallenpaupack has 50 miles of shoreline and is a boaters mecca . we all had to pay school taxes even though we are part timers and don't use the schools ..

it leaves the schools very well funded based on the number of kids that actually go.

i much preferred where we were in lake wallenpaupack to pauapack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City