Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 11:33 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,221,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplifly View Post
Why on earth were those two officers trying to break up a crowd? For what purpose? To slow the spread of corona? Why do neither of the two officers have their mask on?

Pick your battles.
Instead of asking, why don’t you read the link provided by the OP? And no, it was not to slow corona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 11:48 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,899 times
https://nypost.com/2020/07/12/gracie...lute-disaster/

BTW .... Terrible propaganda and baseless commentary from a young Gracie.

These cops are not skilled enough to PROPERLY use these submission methods without harming someone. I am shocked and appalled that the knowledge of BJJ appears to be diluted in the next generation.

In the hands of a proper practitioner the moves the NYPD were using WERE lethal because they do not have the martial arts training required to understand how much WEIGHT and PRESSURE should be applied.

In my BJJ class these moves were REGULATED and the sensei watched closely to ensure that no adverse outcomes happened when applying these moves, and had to serve as the sparring partner so that he could personalize for EACH individual provide feedback so they could understand intuitively how much pressure they should be applying during sparring practice sessions. These moves are NOT safe in the hands of an untrained individual.

Gracie has NO IDEA of the lack of training and effectively not making the connection between the difference of his own upbringing and the upbringing of most beat cops. These cops come from the house of SLAM and BAM, not LOCK and GRAPPLE. They have no understanding of measured response nor do they have the confidence they are constantly fearful and reacting IRRATIONALLY with EMOTION and FEAR.

Old 07-12-2020, 11:56 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplifly View Post
Why on earth were those two officers trying to break up a crowd? For what purpose? To slow the spread of corona? Why do neither of the two officers have their mask on?

Pick your battles.
All it takes is a couple of beers and a few very poorly chosen words to turn a group of people chillin on the corner into a shots fired with 4-5-10 people hit. If we didn't have 1990s-level shooting/murder rates going on the police wouldn't have shown up at all to show they [the police] are "de-escalating" things.

Old 07-12-2020, 12:24 PM

416 posts, read 247,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
https://nypost.com/2020/07/12/gracie...lute-disaster/

BTW .... Terrible propaganda and baseless commentary from a young Gracie.

These cops are not skilled enough to PROPERLY use these submission methods without harming someone. I am shocked and appalled that the knowledge of BJJ appears to be diluted in the next generation.

In the hands of a proper practitioner the moves the NYPD were using WERE lethal because they do not have the martial arts training required to understand how much WEIGHT and PRESSURE should be applied.

In my BJJ class these moves were REGULATED and the sensei watched closely to ensure that no adverse outcomes happened when applying these moves, and had to serve as the sparring partner so that he could personalize for EACH individual provide feedback so they could understand intuitively how much pressure they should be applying during sparring practice sessions. These moves are NOT safe in the hands of an untrained individual.

Gracie has NO IDEA of the lack of training and effectively not making the connection between the difference of his own upbringing and the upbringing of most beat cops. These cops come from the house of SLAM and BAM, not LOCK and GRAPPLE. They have no understanding of measured response nor do they have the confidence they are constantly fearful and reacting IRRATIONALLY with EMOTION and FEAR.

Very true. Officers should be get professionally trained otherwise you have situations like these, where the officer put himself and his partner in danger and that's when officers might need to do something more lethal to protect themselves. The one officer should have kept his focus on the one suspect they were both having trouble with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
All it takes is a couple of beers and a few very poorly chosen words to turn a group of people chillin on the corner into a shots fired with 4-5-10 people hit. If we didn't have 1990s-level shooting/murder rates going on the police wouldn't have shown up at all to show they [the police] are "de-escalating" things.
NYPD should rethink this through. The city shut down for 5 months over the coronavirus, people don't want to stay cooped up inside anymore. Now, if this was NYPD breaking up crowds to slow the spread of coronavirus, I would support it. If crowds don't end up dead or in a hospital for bullet wounds, then surely they will for the coronavirus.

Old 07-12-2020, 01:37 PM

155 posts, read 121,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonae View Post
You ever been to the Bronx? They don't.
Peep my location. I live in the Bronx.

Old 07-12-2020, 02:48 PM

38 posts, read 20,507 times
Watch the video again...
Cops body camera fall on the ground and that's when the "perp" kicked it. You can hear it on the video.

The crazy thing is that the bronx DA refused to charge that guy and cops had to let him go free.

So if cop put someone in 'chokehold' (or obstruct his breathing in ANY way) cop will get arrested and charged with misdemeanor even is no injuries occurred BUT this perp did it and cop got injured and DA is refusing to prosecute.

Like someone said before cops should refuse to go to any 911 calls unless 2-3 patrol cars going there at the same time...and if there is more people on the street than cops call for more units.

As for training cops to do BJJ...great idea but to train someone to a BASIC levels takes months and nobody wants to spend money on even few days of training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonae View Post
Why was the cop trying to grab him in the first place?

Old 07-12-2020, 02:53 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
The fact that this arrest was thrown out should, in the real world, lead to cops not even leaving the stationhouses tonight in the Bronx. Forget not showing up to jobs, they shouldn't even leave the buildings. Problem is, even the cops are nancies nowadays for the most part.

I am SO happy that I have 7 days left wearing this pointless uniform. Seven days until "F you, pay me" is all I owe the people of this wretched city.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-12-2020, 02:57 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The fact that this arrest was thrown out should, in the real world, lead to cops not even leaving the stationhouses tonight in the Bronx. Forget not showing up to jobs, they shouldn't even leave the buildings. Problem is, even the cops are nancies nowadays for the most part.

I am SO happy that I have 7 days left wearing this pointless uniform. Seven days until "F you, pay me" is all I owe the people of this wretched city.
i thought you were retiring 2021?

Old 07-12-2020, 03:19 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
i thought you were retiring 2021?
That was originally the plan but I'm putting my money where my mouth is. This city is not worth risking my life and freedom for any longer. My wife and I made the decision to move it up. Next friday, I'm donezo.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-12-2020, 03:25 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
That was originally the plan but I'm putting my money where my mouth is. This city is not worth risking my life and freedom for any longer. My wife and I made the decision to move it up. Next friday, I'm donezo.
Cheers old sport!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City