Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 06:50 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,692,273 times

Advertisements

https://gothamist.com/food/odessa-re...ge-oasis-close

Odessa Restaurant, A Late Night East Village Oasis, To Close
BY JOHN DEL SIGNORE
JULY 12, 2020

Odessa Restaurant, a longtime Ukranian eatery and favorite last stop for late night East Village party people, is closing next Sunday, July 19th, a worker at the diner confirmed. The employee declined to offer any further details, only noting that it was a decision made by "the boss."

Opened in 1994 on Avenue A across from Tompkins Square Park, Odessa was a 24/7 spin-off of the Odessa Bar next door. The bar dated back to the early '80s, and finally closed in 2013 after a 33 year run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 07:00 PM

910 posts, read 748,501 times
I'm the first to always say something sad whenever a long time business closes. This is no exception. I believe that when neighborhoods lose businesses like these, they also lose part of their character. Let me also say this, however: We should also not kid ourselves when it comes to the food. A lot of these places were not the cleanest. Take diners, for instance. Yes, absolutely they are part of the character of NYC and parts of NJ. Are they clean establishments serving healthy food? No. If you add to that the ever increasing prices when you have a host of other options in this era, then yes, a lot of businesses will need to close. I said it before and I'll say it again: if you price yourself out of the market, you're going to have to either maintain stable prices, or even reduce them or face stiff competition and shut down. No alternatives, sorry.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:21 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,777,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
I'm the first to always say something sad whenever a long time business closes. This is no exception. I believe that when neighborhoods lose businesses like these, they also lose part of their character. Let me also say this, however: We should also not kid ourselves when it comes to the food. A lot of these places were not the cleanest. Take diners, for instance. Yes, absolutely they are part of the character of NYC and parts of NJ. Are they clean establishments serving healthy food? No. If you add to that the ever increasing prices when you have a host of other options in this era, then yes, a lot of businesses will need to close. I said it before and I'll say it again: if you price yourself out of the market, you're going to have to either maintain stable prices, or even reduce them or face stiff competition and shut down. No alternatives, sorry.
Depends on the Diner. Blue Bay is exceptionally clean or at least is no dirty than some middle class home kitchen.

LES or that whole section of Manhattan losts its character long time before this Ukrainian eatery ever closed. I believe I ate their once, was that Veselka or something like that. I cant remember.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:48 PM

15,781 posts, read 14,377,714 times
I've been there several times. The have a couple of Ukrainian style dinner combos that were a good bargain. But the neighborhood was going upmarket, and they weren't. And I'm sure the Covid disruption didn't help.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:55 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,546,214 times
Every eatery that requires sit down to make money won't last will all have to close down. You can't make money counting tables anymore. The rents in NYC is way too much for any fancy eateries to survive. The only places that will survive are those that are mostly take outs and deliveries. Pizzarias should do fine as well as chinese takeouts.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:35 PM

15,781 posts, read 14,377,714 times
If that's true, it will have the effect of driving rents down. They'll just not be enough commercial renters for the amount of available retail space. The LLs will have to cut rents to fill the empty storefronts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Every eatery that requires sit down to make money won't last will all have to close down. You can't make money counting tables anymore. The rents in NYC is way too much for any fancy eateries to survive. The only places that will survive are those that are mostly take outs and deliveries. Pizzarias should do fine as well as chinese takeouts.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:36 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,396,784 times
No more buckwheat pancakes and pierogis at 5am ? Bummer.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:59 PM

263 posts, read 114,819 times
All of these business closures are so sad here. So many have lost everything. It will probably take a decade or more for most to recover.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:28 AM

3,096 posts, read 2,659,531 times
Oh, this is sad. Maybe not the greatest food, or the greatest atmosphere, but still a good place to have around. I just walked by there today and looked inside at all the chairs up on tables and wondered if they were making any money at all on takeout.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:30 AM

3,096 posts, read 2,659,531 times
The LLs won't cut rents until they have a gun to their heads, by the way: their buildings are valued based on the rent roll, their mortgages often require them to maintain a certain rent roll, and if they own other buildings in the neighborhood, that only amplifies the pressure to keep nominal rents high even if no one is paying them. (Plus, if you do have a portfolio, you can use exaggerated losses on vacant properties to offset actual income at others. No one's auditing those expenses.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: