Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 04:46 PM

874 posts, read 453,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhouston55 View Post

". . .We want to live near Manhattan for work and photography opportunities and am happy to trade our laid back lifestyle in Glendale CA for the grind."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 06:22 PM

16 posts, read 8,442 times
Looks good, can't wait!

Last edited by jhouston55; 07-20-2020 at 07:03 PM..

Old 07-21-2020, 01:51 AM

3,130 posts, read 2,724,468 times
To answer the question: Streeteasy is about 90% legit. Best place to look.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:20 AM

100 posts, read 58,916 times
Jhouston55, It sounds like you are ready to make a move and to transition into the next phase of your life. You have lived in quiet suburban areas within the metro of L.A. which to me is still a sprawling suburb with massive times spent on the freeways. Mind you, L.A. holds a special place in my heart since I was out there for 8-9 years for grad school after growing up in NYC.

Honestly, though, to me, there is no place like NYC, especially pre-covid. If you want more people watching and others around you, constant energy and activities to participate in, that was NYC pre-covid. I am a believer that NYC will return in some form that will bring us back its wonderfully varied and happening culture, arts, media, finance, technology scenes. All this may be scaled down and not personally accessible until we have some vaccine available to deal with the covid virus. This ofc is not likely during your planned time to move to NYC later this year. But if you are an artist and a photographer, you will still be able to see and experience so much with your senses. The different neighborhoods, architecture, parks, shops ( tho many shuttered for now or partly open). Even now, I believe there are free offerings like some streaming capacity for say the Met Opera House, Jazz from Lincoln Center, etc. Though you cannot Attend in person, the silver lining is these activities are now cheaper or free even, like watching Hamilton the play through Disney Plus ( for $5.99/ week?) Compare this to the hundreds of dollars just for one show ticket. Sure you can participate in streaming services all over the USA ( and maybe globally) but there is nothing like listening to the jazz at Lincoln Center then going out to the site and snapping pictures of this cultural icon. Plus, a short distance away in Astoria you can take the ferry to Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights, as well as Manhattan E 34th St and Wall St. For a cheap subway fare. Just sitting in the ferry and seeing the Manhattan skyline loom over you or circling close to the Statute of Liberty is an experience in and of itself.

I want to go back to what appears to be your heart calling out to be in a more stimulating and culturally rich and dense place ( NYC) and I say go for it if you can do it financially. This is a chance for you to get a feel for what will satisfy and fulfill you and your spouse in your next life phase as you have become empty nesters, having fulfilled your duties as parents raising kids, it is now time for adventure and finding a suitablly stimulating next phase. I know I suffered through my years in aesthetically beautiful and bucolic Stony Brook, Long Island. Once my son was done with the top rated High School and I got my health insurance coverage for life through my ex-employer, SUNY, I was so ready to get out of Long Island and move back to the city I grew up in. I grew up poor in the lower east side of Manhattan way before the gentrification but NYC to me was a rich place to grow up in. i NEVER FELT POOR. I am sure with your creativity, you will somehow find pleasures and experiences in NYC even with COVID restrictions esp. as we are gradually reopening in different phases. However, you have to be prepared for some shutdown restrictions if our reopening causes another spike in infections or deaths. But somehow I think you will still find enough to occupy, stimulate you even if you have to WEAR a mask and keep physical distancing,

As long as you can swing this experiment financially, I say go for it. You are not tied down and plan on a one year rental. So if you can go through these worse of times and still thrive in NYC, then you may find your answer for your landing place in a year or less.

Regardless, I wish you well and I am excited for you as you and your spouse embark on the next leg of your life journey. May it be a good phase and one where you remain healthy, safe and able to capitalize on your talents in the right setting, no matter how scaled down it is. Just think if you can love NYC during Covid, how much more you can savor the city once it returns to some normalcy in the next few yrs hopefully. Maybe less. You have an adventuresome spirit that is impatiently calling to you despite the difficult conditions in NYC. Though we are still ahead of other states since we followed gradual guidelines for reopening and many people were cooperating with the Wear A Mask and physical Distancing campaign.

Last edited by Evolving; 07-21-2020 at 03:30 AM..

Old 07-21-2020, 03:33 AM

100 posts, read 58,916 times
By the way, $2000-2200 had been in the lower range for say a studio in a decent neighborhood, if you could find those apts. now with many people leaving NYC due ago Covid, you may have greater selection in your price range. I heard a couple of yrs ago, you have to go with word of mouth and may find something decent and not as highly priced in Sunnyside.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolving View Post
Jhouston55, It sounds like you are ready to make a move and to transition into the next phase of your life. You have lived in quiet suburban areas within the metro of L.A. which to me is still a sprawling suburb with massive times spent on the freeways. Mind you, L.A. holds a special place in my heart since I was out there for 8-9 years for grad school after growing up in NYC.

Honestly, though, to me, there is no place like NYC, especially pre-covid. If you want more people watching and others around you, constant energy and activities to participate in, that was NYC pre-covid. I am a believer that NYC will return in some form that will bring us back its wonderfully varied and happening culture, arts, media, finance, technology scenes. All this may be scaled down and not personally accessible until we have some vaccine available to deal with the covid virus. This ofc is not likely during your planned time to move to NYC later this year. But if you are an artist and a photographer, you will still be able to see and experience so much with your senses. The different neighborhoods, architecture, parks, shops ( tho many shuttered for now or partly open). Even now, I believe there are free offerings like some streaming capacity for say the Met Opera House, Jazz from Lincoln Center, etc. Though you cannot Attend in person, the silver lining is these activities are now cheaper or free even, like watching Hamilton the play through Disney Plus ( for $5.99/ week?) Compare this to the hundreds of dollars just for one show ticket. Sure you can participate in streaming services all over the USA ( and maybe globally) but there is nothing like listening to the jazz at Lincoln Center then going out to the site and snapping pictures of this cultural icon. Plus, a short distance away in Astoria you can take the ferry to Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights, as well as Manhattan E 34th St and Wall St. For a cheap subway fare. Just sitting in the ferry and seeing the Manhattan skyline loom over you or circling close to the Statute of Liberty is an experience in and of itself.

I want to go back to what appears to be your heart calling out to be in a more stimulating and culturally rich and dense place ( NYC) and I say go for it if you can do it financially. This is a chance for you to get a feel for what will satisfy and fulfill you and your spouse in your next life phase as you have become empty nesters, having fulfilled your duties as parents raising kids, it is now time for adventure and finding a suitablly stimulating next phase. I know I suffered through my years in aesthetically beautiful and bucolic Stony Brook, Long Island. Once my son was done with the top rated High School and I got my health insurance coverage for life through my ex-employer, SUNY, I was so ready to get out of Long Island and move back to the city I grew up in. I grew up poor in the lower east side of Manhattan way before the gentrification but NYC to me was a rich place to grow up in. i NEVER FELT POOR. I am sure with your creativity, you will somehow find pleasures and experiences in NYC even with COVID restrictions esp. as we are gradually reopening in different phases. However, you have to be prepared for some shutdown restrictions if our reopening causes another spike in infections or deaths. But somehow I think you will still find enough to occupy, stimulate you even if you have to WEAR a mask and keep physical distancing,

As long as you can swing this experiment financially, I say go for it. You are not tied down and plan on a one year rental. So if you can go through these worse of times and still thrive in NYC, then you may find your answer for your landing place in a year or less.

Regardless, I wish you well and I am excited for you as you and your spouse embark on the next leg of your life journey. May it be a good phase and one where you remain healthy, safe and able to capitalize on your talents in the right setting, no matter how scaled down it is. Just think if you can love NYC during Covid, how much more you can savor the city once it returns to some normalcy in the next few yrs hopefully. Maybe less. You have an adventuresome spirit that is impatiently calling to you despite the difficult conditions in NYC. Though we are still ahead of other states since we followed gradual guidelines for reopening and many people were cooperating with the Wear A Mask and physical Distancing campaign.

Very awesome of you and thanks for that. I think you summed up my reasons for moving very well.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolving View Post
By the way, $2000-2200 had been in the lower range for say a studio in a decent neighborhood, if you could find those apts. now with many people leaving NYC due ago Covid, you may have greater selection in your price range. I heard a couple of yrs ago, you have to go with word of mouth and may find something decent and not as highly priced in Sunnyside.

On streeteasy, I've seen that range for a 1 bedroom quite a bit in Astoria and some in Sunnyside and wasn't sure how realistic that was going to be. We'll see in a few months when I start my in-person search.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:59 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,163,729 times
Go for it. Ignore the haters. The city is 100% amazing now-clean, less noise, prices are lower and as you know, the most amazing place on our planet. best of luck to you all... You will not regret it.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:09 AM

100 posts, read 89,583 times
You could also try Upper Manhattan or Jersey City. I've done both and found a great spot in Harlem. We also have very easy access to La Guardia via a direct bus line that's quick.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:01 AM

92 posts, read 117,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suqmahdiq View Post
You should move to hunts point, in the south bronx.

Gotta work on your trolling skills before you dip into the big leagues bucko.

Back to the cave you go !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City