Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 12:06 PM

4,195 posts, read 4,077,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I have been on it since March .
I was told just keep my own records if I don’t want to upload
From posts long ago I thought you retired. How long were you working since then? Or am I misremembering that you retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 12:17 PM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
From posts long ago I thought you retired. How long were you working since then? Or am I misremembering that you retired.
I have been working one day a week since I retired ...I loved the job they gave me ...which was training the hundreds of new people they have been hiring over the years ...I teach motor controls and variable frequency drives as they apply to the industrial pump and fan industry

I enjoyed it so it became a regular gig for 5 years now .....but contact tracing issues won’t let me work between the different dept and hundreds of employees I train so I am on hold for now .

HR TOLD me I should file since for the 40 years I worked for them they contributed on my behalf to UEI ...it is actually part of your total compensation package when they figure out what you cost them since they contribute based on pay roll ..I rather be working as I like what I do....

It was a great little niche I fell in to without even realizing .....so Uei goes by how much you make not number of days you worked..you just need to make enough for the minimum requirements to qualify

Old 07-28-2020, 04:30 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
What gets lost in this debate about that $600 is not everyone receiving was a wage earner. Remember federal government expanded UI for once to cover self-employed and independent contractors. Many of those people are getting killed by response to covid-19

Tons of freelancers and others have seen their entire client base vanish over past few months. Much of it may not return until well into new year if even then.

Know someone who started a housecleaning business after being laid off in aftermath of 2008 recession. She's built up the business and was doing reasonably well, until now.... Nearly all of her clients have either fled permanently or temporarily out of city. Others live in buildings that have restrictions on anyone who is not a resident entering.

Guy I see in area who has a dog walking business is in same boat.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:40 PM

Yes , many are business owners with no incomes ......the drum studio I use is about to maybe fail ....they lost 58 of 61 students who took lessons there ..that was the bulk of his income .....I got a feeling by sept they may be out ...for 30 years the owner put his life into his small business and every penny ...it looks like it will be gone

Old 07-28-2020, 04:47 PM

92 posts, read 117,869 times
I'm scared

Old 07-28-2020, 05:18 PM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaUZE_BOSS View Post
I'm scared
It's ok to be scared

We'll get through this, we gotta stay strong

Don't let these fearmongers on here get you down, they're really the ones thats scared

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-28-2020, 05:51 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaUZE_BOSS View Post
I'm scared
I know a few secret indoor places if you need to get our mind off things.

Old 07-29-2020, 04:09 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It's ok to be scared

We'll get through this, we gotta stay strong

Don't let these fearmongers on here get you down, they're really the ones thats scared
Indeed. And not only scared, but disfunctional and miserable. So many of these cranks dont even live in the city but spend hours here daily writing about the horror of the city instead of enjoying the places they now live in. Its a circle jerk of mental illness. Same folks for years, every news story and same responses " The 80s are returning, Diblasio to blame for a small business closing, brown people going to attack you, etc. Same responses daily for years. .. its a circle jerk of madness.

Old 07-29-2020, 04:11 AM

at the end of the day it is only about you and your family and how they are doing . how others do , is a moot point .

if you are doing okay then things are not so bad .. if you are not doing okay then things are terrible.

no one else is looking out for you .

Old 07-29-2020, 05:53 AM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
at the end of the day it is only about you and your family and how they are doing . how others do , is a moot point .

if you are doing okay then things are not so bad .. if you are not doing okay then things are terrible.

no one else is looking out for you .
My Life Matters

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City