Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 09:23 PM

494 posts, read 557,287 times

Advertisements

I purchased a sofa with a delivery fee of $150. I think the delivery service is so high because it is NY. Generally I would tip no matter what $20-$30 but I'm so annoyed right now with their service and disgusted with the delivery fee.

My building requires a certificate of insurance a few days before delivery so it can be approved and scheduled. So i called 5 days before asking for the COI and apparently they only give them the day before the delivery date. Which I think is stupid because for $150 I expect whatever I need to be given to me without any problems. So I inform my building and they said the day before is no problem. Now the day before around 3pm I still haven't had the COI so I emailed them asking for it ASAP and then around 5pm I called and asked for it and was told it is still processing. I am in a new building, just moved a few months ago and I'm not even sure they would let the delivery guys in at this point, and this whole process is just stressing me out. Needless to say I not only don't want to tip these guys but I almost want to cancel the sofa and delivery.

Is this normal for NYC? Do you guys still tip the delivery service?

I just thought for what I paid I'd get a little more help and things would have gone much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 05:41 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
No, but I do try to have ice cold bottles of water on hand to give to the movers.

Quite frankly, I'm disgusted by the entire concept of tipping people for simply doing their jobs when you've already paid for them to do their jobs.

Old 07-24-2020, 05:52 AM

910 posts, read 752,632 times
Nope, no way. For example, I had to leave a huge mattress behind in my old NYC apartment and I was unable to arrange a pick up until tomorrow. Just for taking away the mattress, they charge $150.00. No way in hell would I tip people for doing their job. $150 is already more than enough, much more than enough for simply taking a full size mattress (nothing else!).

Old 07-24-2020, 06:18 AM

4,194 posts, read 4,077,595 times
I tip appliance deliverymen even if there is a delivery charge especially if they bring the appliance to the basement and take the old one away from the basement. If it’s a free delivery and not too much work I will tip the guy $5 or $10.

$150 is high for delivery. At that price I think that’s enough compensation for the store and the deliverymen.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:47 AM

383 posts, read 173,510 times
I’ve happened to for similar deliveries, however, if you paid a delivery fee I’m assuming it is for delivery purposes and I’m hoping it is mostly for the delivery persons, and not some imaginary «*administrative fee*» the company ends up pocketing, which sadly may be the case. $10 each is decent in my opinion. But put yourself in the guys’ shoes, they haul furnitures and appliances up and down, after driving through the metro area, at least 8 hours a day, at least 5 days a week.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:22 AM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
For a big couch I had delivered I tipped 20 each for the 2 guys. Most of the delivery fees I see for delivery are paying some 3rd party to deliver the furniture. The workers are getting it most likely lets be honest.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:31 AM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Last time I got furniture delivered, the delivery men left a mess in my hallway. They should've tipped me cause I had to clean up after them.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:56 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
I recently had a new TV stand/fireplace delivered from Bob's. I had to get a COI for my building, and that was a PITA....Bob's never sent it over to either me or my property manager, so I had to spend 4 hours waiting on hold to talk to someone. Thankfully they were able to pull it and email it to me. THEN they showed up early....like before I was awake early lol. But it all worked out.

I tipped a total of $30 (2 guys - they had to do some assembly once it was in place).

Old 07-24-2020, 10:16 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Yes, I am a big tipper, as I live on the 4th Floor of a walk up, anyone that comes up to my apartment I will be generous, hell, I don't even wanna walk up to my apartment.

The last delivery I had was the portable washer, 2 years ago, 2 boys brought it up, and I gave them 20.00 each. It was hot, it was heavy, and it is the 4th floor.....and I felt bad.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:46 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
When I was in college I worked summers at a moving company. I know how hard it is to move stuff around in the city. Everything is a pain in the ass. So, yes, I tip. Give cash directly to the guys doing the work. They don’t see a penny of that delivery fee and probably earn minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City