Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 09:32 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,300 times

Advertisements

Who is eating regularly now at outdoor restaurants?

keyword regularly

It's probably impossible to tell but who do you think is there by percentage

1) people living off substantial savings

2) people living off unemployment

3) people who are employed and working at home online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 09:47 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times
I cant contribute directly to this but will say that i am employed and eating out regularly. I define regularly as once or twice a week. This week i spent under 30 dollars. I may eventually be a mix between the numbers BUT I dont have substantial savings and so it would be off my humble savings. Why? My hazard pay got cut and so wont be able to just use my income. I would hope that this is only temporary as I work to not live off savings in the future.

Old 07-25-2020, 10:10 AM

910 posts, read 753,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Who is eating regularly now at outdoor restaurants?

keyword regularly

It's probably impossible to tell but who do you think is there by percentage

1) people living off substantial savings

2) people living off unemployment

3) people who are employed and working at home online

For the record, I hate eating outside. It is very uncomfortable for me to even imagine eating a hot meal outside with all the bugs, humidity and crowds of people walking by and breathing near my food.

That being said:

I noticed the following types of people eating outside:

1) Retirees who already have a fixed income or often have good pensions if they had good jobs.

2) Young people living off the free 6 weeks unearned vacation they got on the taxpayer dime.

3) Yes, professional types who work from home.

Old 07-25-2020, 11:31 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,300 times
Some of the outdoor set ups on the street by the sidewalk are in low people traffic areas and wideer streets others aren't

and there are also some that have backyard dining areas which they have always had

29 Lovely Outdoor Dining Spots in NYC

https://ny.eater.com/maps/best-nyc-o...ng-restaurants

where to eat outside by neighborhood

https://www.theinfatuation.com/searc...tside&city=NYC

best outdoor bars restaurants in Nyc. Thrillist.com

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/new-yo...aurants-in-nyc

There is still some element of risk as per cooks and servers

Old 07-25-2020, 11:44 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
For the record, I hate eating outside. It is very uncomfortable for me to even imagine eating a hot meal outside with all the bugs, humidity and crowds of people walking by and breathing near my food.

That being said:

I noticed the following types of people eating outside:

1) Retirees who already have a fixed income or often have good pensions if they had good jobs.

2) Young people living off the free 6 weeks unearned vacation they got on the taxpayer dime.

3) Yes, professional types who work from home.
May I ask how you verified number 2?

Old 07-25-2020, 12:19 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,750,584 times
Wife and I have been eating out regularly. The places here in Hamilton Heights have some nice outdoor setups. We go to the more expensive ones that have less 20 somethings that seem to gather in larger groups.

We typically order a few small plates and cocktails. We did it yesterday. Dropped $200.

Wife and I are both full time employed working from home during COVID.

Old 07-25-2020, 12:45 PM

6,685 posts, read 6,029,446 times
I tried eating out this week and got bit by mosquitoes so never again. I’ll support my local places by ordering in instead.

Old 07-25-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
May I ask how you verified number 2?
Very easily. You will see areas with a whole bunch of young people (of all races). A lot of them, this is a statement of fact, lost their jobs. In fact, most young millennials and Gen Z in NYC tend to work low wage service sector type jobs. A lot of those have been lost. There is no way all of those droves of young people suddenly now eating out are all employed, let alone making a decent enough salary to sustain such a lifestyle. And I'm not just talking having a slice of pizza. I'm talking about, at a minimum (in Manhattan), you are looking at around $15-20 plus tips, etc. Also, they are there during working hours. They cannot all be working from home either, especially during the times you get to see them.

There's your answer.

Old 07-25-2020, 01:27 PM

383 posts, read 173,821 times
I’m what you call an essential worker, and yes, the weather being beautiful I happen to eat outside, or have coffe/drinks. It is amazing and feels like the old continent (where people eat outside all spring and summer).
And no not just people working from home or living off unemployment do, many people never stopped commuting to work at any time.
And for the mosquitoes or bugs...aaaaawww poor things.... so tragic, don’t get Zika, in Mediterranean countries they have lemongrass sprays that do a great job at repelling them.

Old 07-25-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX_Fly View Post
I’m what you call an essential worker, and yes, the weather being beautiful I happen to eat outside, or have coffe/drinks. It is amazing and feels like the old continent (where people eat outside all spring and summer).
And no not just people working from home or living off unemployment do, many people never stopped commuting to work at any time.
And for the mosquitoes or bugs...aaaaawww poor things.... so tragic, don’t get Zika, in Mediterranean countries they have lemongrass sprays that do a great job at repelling them.
Just to clarify something -- while it is true that in MODERN Europe, outdoor cafes are very common, that was not always the case and in fact, people actually hated the concept up until the 1970s...particularly in England. The reason I know this is because I always felt like the outlier since I don't like sitting outside to eat and so when I did some investigating, turns out that some newspaper articles back in the 70s started to see this is a new trend in the era and one that was not really a thing in some places.

It is not healthy to be under the baking sun. Nothing like a good breakfast like where I have it now -- my house has a SUN room, but it is indoors and it used to be used as a place to grow plants, etc. It is all white paint inside and beautiful antique windows (some stained glass) with the transom window on top of the door.
And you know what's the best thing on top of that BX Fly? Nobody near me and no server to tip! So happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City