Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 10:17 AM

51 posts, read 94,091 times

Advertisements

You can never tell if a "weirdo" will ever be violent. But I agree with those who say to be vigilant and aware, but not to the point where you're emanating fear. A lot of them will prey on those they deem as meek. I've lived here during the 70s and 80s and luckily nothing ever happened. I've had attempts made but thankfully I was quick enough to get out of the situations. I don't carry a weapon but will have keys in my hand ready to pounce if I feel an impending threat. I do feel that carrying a certain demeanor of confidence helps. For example, I've talked back to a lot of cat-callers. Many women tell me the guys will call them a "stuck up *****" if they talk back. I've never had that happen to me. They were probably thinking it but never said it to my face. A few of them even apologized to me.

I'm grateful that I've been here 40+ years without incident. That doesn't mean it won't ever happen. But I do try to minimize my risk. If you're worried about something potentially happening don't wear your earphones. Try not to put yourself in these situations. Trust your instincts. If something doesn't feel right it probably isn't. A few years ago when I was living in Park Slope, I was walking to my home at night from the subway station. As I turned the corner to head down my block, there was this guy standing there, looked at me and started walking down the block really slowly to the point that I would have to walk by him at some point. I should also mention that there were a whole bunch of sexual assaults in Park Slope at that time. Didn't feel right to me so I took out my cell phone and called my husband and loudly declared that I will be home in one minute - loud enough for that guy to hear me. The guy then quickly ran away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 12:26 PM

11 posts, read 5,934 times
I will NEVER stop voting for the DNC. You expect me to give my vote to racist, facist republicans? have you lost your mind? what has the republican party given us? stop and frisk? kids in cages? gutting welfare and safety nets? Give me a break. I am a devout follower of Leftist Theory and there is NOTHING that can change that. Your words fall of deaf ears. The police may as well get defunded because they are not here to protect people like me, they are here for whites, politicians and wealthy business owners.

Ask AIrborne Guy and if he wishes to tell the truth for once in his life he will tell you.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:55 PM

6,666 posts, read 2,972,733 times
lol, DNC_Cultist

created new account this month.

immediately uses CAPS in his posts and beats his chest, trying to start drama.

checks out.

/ignore

Old 07-31-2020, 01:27 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times
elnrgby, you fell for that? lol "DNC cultist"

Old 07-31-2020, 01:34 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNC_Cultist View Post
I will NEVER stop voting for the DNC. You expect me to give my vote to racist, facist republicans? have you lost your mind? what has the republican party given us? stop and frisk? kids in cages? gutting welfare and safety nets? Give me a break. I am a devout follower of Leftist Theory and there is NOTHING that can change that. Your words fall of deaf ears. The police may as well get defunded because they are not here to protect people like me, they are here for whites, politicians and wealthy business owners.

Ask AIrborne Guy and if he wishes to tell the truth for once in his life he will tell you.

Well, if that is how you see things, then enjoy your encounters with violence in the city :-). What are YOUR ideas for controlling street violence? Or, if you think street violence is normal and doesn't need to be controlled, why did you post your complaint about the scary/potentially violent weirdo that acted as though he'd attack you?

Old 07-31-2020, 02:50 PM

874 posts, read 454,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNC_Cultist View Post

"I will NEVER stop voting for the DNC. You expect me to give my vote to
racist, facist republicans?

Ask AIrborne Guy and if he wishes to tell the truth for once
in his life he will tell you."

Sorry....people don't want to live with "these kind of people."

PEEVE

It's "ain't" racism...it's reality.... (you sound like you have your 'pet peeves too.')

They will always be around. Bringing down neighborhoods & society in general.....
"this ugly culture."

They're all nuts......

Old 07-31-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Well, if that is how you see things, then enjoy your encounters with violence in the city :-). What are YOUR ideas for controlling street violence? Or, if you think street violence is normal and doesn't need to be controlled, why did you post your complaint about the scary/potentially violent weirdo that acted as though he'd attack you?

Are you an idiot? Of course crime has to be curtailed, you think I like being chased down the streets of Manhattan like I'm in a loonytoons cartoon?

But the problem there in lies that the police do not do anything to protect regular citizens. They protect whites, the rich and corporations. So unless you are lucky enough to be born with a winning skin complexion you can forget it. We need a new agent in the streets that can actually protect people not gun them down and then stand on their necks.

The man that chased me was mentally ill. What we need is housing, food, social workers, stable families, jobs and safe communities. If everyone had access to those things I am 100% certain that I would not have been chased. That is why, for me, defunding the police is the best option because either ways, if the police had a 10 trillion dollar budget, $0 of that would go towards helping someone like me.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruSue View Post
Sorry....people don't want to live with "these kind of people."

PEEVE

It's "ain't" racism...it's reality.... (you sound like you have your 'pet peeves too.')

They will always be around. Bringing down neighborhoods & society in general.....
"this ugly culture."

They're all nuts......

Wow all these pretty pictures and lines of text and you were unable to formulate a single cohesive sentence. I don't have wonder too long who you voted for.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:23 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
I like to go for long walks in the city ( 5-10 miles ) . Naturally I cross paths with lots of weirdos. Most are dirty, aloof, talking to themselves etc. Some ask for money or try to engage with you in order to ask for money. I just give a quick hand gesture to indicate "no thanks" and walk on.

So I wonder how to know which weirdo might get upset and get violent? Should I bring quarters with me to give to the ones I think seem high risk?

Due to Covid, the streets are mostly empty except for these weirdos. So my guess is they could do something violent and not fear there would be any witnesses.
Carry a six-foot-long pointy stick, and if they get too close, give 'em a little poke.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:44 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Carry a six-foot-long pointy stick, and if they get too close, give 'em a little poke.
Lol, what about act crazy back MQ? Haha.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City