Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 12:23 PM

874 posts, read 453,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post

"When I worked at the hotels it was fun informing visitors of all the things to see and do.
Now its empty concrete, closed businesses and just echos of what it was.

Its going to be a very long time until normalcy returns indeed."

I loved working in the Food & Beverage industry ...and in hotels....I've worked in a few
(including florida hotels on the beach....). What a blast.

i did it all (except concierge)....mostly working in the office + outside @ tiki hut serving drinks,
cocktail lounge, hostess in restaurant, waitress, banquet server (even front desk)....and many other areas when
they needed you........

It's fuuuun and hard work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 12:28 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Quote:
Im a bit skeptical on the number being that high. I dont doubt there is a lot of people but doesnt NYS have 8 million people? 4 mil would be half the population.

People did fall behind on rent if they got laid off, did not have enough saved (like about 70% of Americans) and had to wait weeks for UI and PUA. But they should have been able to catch up quickly with the extra $$ that was recieved in many cases also right? Not the case for all renters I understand esp those with families.
Try between 19 and 20 million in NY State.

And with NYC rents so high even with the extra I doubt many could effectively catch up. I’m curious as to the % of renters who simply left in the middle of the night and headed west.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:55 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Im a bit skeptical on the number being that high. I dont doubt there is a lot of people but doesnt NYS have 8 million people? 4 mil would be half the population.

People did fall behind on rent if they got laid off, did not have enough saved (like about 70% of Americans) and had to wait weeks for UI and PUA. But they should have been able to catch up quickly with the extra $$ that was recieved in many cases also right? Not the case for all renters I understand esp those with families.
Media and supporters of usual suspects are twisting numbers to suit their purposes.

First wave of evictions that are or will happen are those where warrants were issued back in March, then put on hold. Next you have court cases that were scheduled but paused because everything shut down for several months.

People getting UI plus that $600 extra got bank and should have been able to pay forward rent, and clear up back rent. More so when you pile on $1200 stimulus checks.....

When you read media reports about "wave of mass evictions...." carefully things become clearer; these are people who were busted before covid-19 hit for various reasons. Articles say things like "denied or cannot get unemployment", but never say why. Usual reason is because they are illegals who worked off the books and thus because of both their immigration status, and no work record on paper do not qualify for UI bennies including that $600.

https://gothamist.com/news/looming-e...-fearing-worst

Other related group are people who also worked off the books (regardless of citizenship or immigration status), and are in same boat; they cannot document employment record thus do not qualify for benefits.

OTOH news from other sources isn't that bad; https://therealdeal.com/2020/07/29/n...olding-steady/

Yes, things were scary for first few months of pandemic, but many New Yorkers are managing to pay their rent. Granted good part of this may have been thanks to that $600 extra (which now is gone), but still it doesn't seem as if sky is falling for all renters in NYC.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:21 PM

88,508 posts, read 84,673,021 times
How Much Has Manhattan Deteriorated Since Covid?

https://www.triplemint.com/blog/11-t...yed-in-movies/

Old 07-31-2020, 05:34 PM

11 posts, read 5,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Life here feels sort of sad and desolate now, especially if you're in an area that was hit by looting, like the shops on 5th Ave. Not sure that they're more homeless around. Maybe it just seems that way because there are fewer other people around and the homeless/crazies just stand out more. It's not as bleak as the days after 9/11 or Hurricane Sandy, but it does feel like we're riding in a car where all the tires are running low on air.

There has been 0 looting in NYC, all protests thus far have been peaceful. Stop using Republican talking points. You come in here talking all types of smack with no evidence to back it up. Maybe your the one inciting violence?

Old 07-31-2020, 05:38 PM

11 posts, read 5,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Media and supporters of usual suspects are twisting numbers to suit their purposes.

Yes, your Treasonous, Traitorous President is twisting the numbers and hijacking the CDC to prevent it from doing it's job. Obstructing a Federal Agency from adjudicating public health are High Crimes and should be considered Biological Terrorism. I can't wait when he loses in November so we can begin preliminary proceedings for Impeachment and INDICTMENT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRa4oTs9xQM

Old 07-31-2020, 05:59 PM

19,024 posts, read 13,932,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNC_Cultist View Post
There has been 0 looting in NYC, all protests thus far have been peaceful. Stop using Republican talking points. You come in here talking all types of smack with no evidence to back it up. Maybe your the one inciting violence?
Hahahahahahhahahhahahahhahh

Also, this troll has been banned.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-31-2020, 06:14 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,761,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNC_Cultist View Post
Have you even been downtown? Or taken your head out of the sand? Of course there was looting. And yes, I totally agree that the vast majority of George Floyd protesters were peaceful. The protesters and the looters were two different sets of people. But the looters were there. That is not a Republican talking point. That is a fact. To refresh your memory a bit:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...ht/5314102002/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/02/n...-protests.html

https://therealdeal.com/2020/06/02/m...ght-of-curfew/

I hate it as much as anyone that criminals used the protests as cover to loot and wreck stretches of the city. But I don't deny that i happened, as you do.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:56 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,529,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
City HAS deteriorated, but not as a result of non-existant "riots" nor protests but rather the shutting down of the economy and social life of the City, i.e., theater, museums, restaurants, libraries, bars, in-person shopping,etc.
and an overarching sense of FEAR. I will guess the City is less than 50% of what it was.

Whether it will fully recover from a destroyed economy is anyone's guess (National GDP down 33% in last quarter.)
The ranting about the "riots" are just the usual screams of white supremacists who have destroyed this NYC forum as they have others. Sad because they really represent only 5% of the city.

Old 08-01-2020, 01:51 PM

33,999 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The ranting about the "riots" are just the usual screams of white supremacists who have destroyed this NYC forum as they have others. Sad because they really represent only 5% of the city.
Sad but true

Sorry for not having done a good enough job of keeping them off of here.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City