Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 05:17 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,771,340 times

Advertisements

First, rats terrorizing outdoor diners and now...raccoon takeover! At least one park anyway.
Raccoons are cuter than rats (from a distance anyway). But no, I wouldn't want to run into one let alone a whole bunch of them while on my daily treks. They look kinda hardy.

https://ilovetheupperwestside.com/a-...iverside-park/

One of our readers has been seeing an insane number of raccoons recently. On Jennifer’s evening walks between 96th and 125th Streets in Riverside Park, she tells us “they are EVERYWHERE,” and that she saw at least a dozen last night. These sightings have all taken place in, on or near the wall facing Riverside Drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 06:28 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,398,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
First, rats terrorizing outdoor diners and now...raccoon takeover! At least one park anyway.
Raccoons are cuter than rats (from a distance anyway). But no, I wouldn't want to run into one let alone a whole bunch of them while on my daily treks. They look kinda hardy.

https://ilovetheupperwestside.com/a-...iverside-park/

One of our readers has been seeing an insane number of raccoons recently. On Jennifer’s evening walks between 96th and 125th Streets in Riverside Park, she tells us “they are EVERYWHERE,” and that she saw at least a dozen last night. These sightings have all taken place in, on or near the wall facing Riverside Drive.

In San Francisco, if you are sitting out in the nature, eg, in the Land's End area, if you pull out any food and start eating, at least one raccoon will instantly appear, stand on its back legs, and start begging with those little raccoon hands. They all got trained at that, and are entirely fearless, they'll get right next to you. Several years ago, the city was so full of raccoons everywhere that the animal control announced they would be putting out food infused with hormonal contraceptives. I think it worked because I have not been seeing as many raccoons as before that.

They can carry rabies so one should not try to touch them, but other than that, I greatly prefer them to human criminals and addicts. I find them fairly cute.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:36 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,181,689 times
Rather run into them than most of the humans in the world today

Old 07-29-2020, 07:14 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Excerpt:A Raccoon Takeover in Riverside Park

Response: This is just as funny....

Visited Prospect Place in Brooklyn recently. Me....Old Boomer while waiting outside an apartment building for an acquaintance
annoyed two millennial females in conversation because of my mere presence. " Can't you see we are talking ? "

With that a rat runs over my feet and jumps across both of them. The girls screamed louder than a flock of seagulls and I hauled off
with the hardiest laughter. They left immediately without a goodbye. Thank the Lord their still is a difference between men and woman
no matter how many generations removed...Hahahahahahaha............

Old 07-29-2020, 07:37 PM

2,450 posts, read 973,580 times
The coons can climb trees like champs too! I was in my pool one night when it was a very still night. No wind it was very quiet. Suddenly I hear the leaves above me start to shake. I follow the sound with my eyes and I see a set of eyes staring back at me moving downward. It was a racoon!

In another instance a racoon had made itself comfortable under my deck. My dog, a rat terrier wasn't having any of it. He roused this poor thing from the nest of leaves it made and chased it up a tree.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:04 PM

15,869 posts, read 14,487,406 times
I've had a few run ins with raccoons in Manhattan. A bunch of years ago, I went to a wedding at the boat house in Central Park. Apparently there's an entire family of raccoons living under the restaurant's deck, who will come out whenever there's an event on the deck. They were actually very cute, especially the babies.

Another time I was walking down 3rd Avenue in the 90s. Lookin west on one of the sidestreets, a small group of people were watching some animal climbing around on a fire escape. At first I thought it was a cat. But no, it was a raccoon.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:34 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,239,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
The coons can climb trees like champs too! I was in my pool one night when it was a very still night. No wind it was very quiet. Suddenly I hear the leaves above me start to shake. I follow the sound with my eyes and I see a set of eyes staring back at me moving downward. It was a racoon!

In another instance a racoon had made itself comfortable under my deck. My dog, a rat terrier wasn't having any of it. He roused this poor thing from the nest of leaves it made and chased it up a tree.
they can also open zippers
when i was a little kid i left some food in my pocket when we were camping
we woke up to a racoon in the rent taking the food
luckily he didn't bite anyone

Old 07-30-2020, 05:57 AM

34,094 posts, read 47,309,800 times
We have possum in my neighborhood, as well as raccoons.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-30-2020, 09:33 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,398,599 times
In Boston, in addition to enormous rats, in the last few years there has been a huge population of urban bunnies all over the place. Boston brownstones have those tiny gardens in front of the building, and there are bunnies hopping around in many of them. You can occasionally see a turkey strolling down the street - those are incredibly large, like vultures, I'd say almost 3 ft tall, the kind of turkey that could eat you for Thanksgiving.

In Parkchester, the Bronx, all the squirrels are as black as a skunk without the white stripe - they were already discussed on this forum a few years ago.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:23 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,771,340 times
Better raccoons, wild bunnies and even rats than...snakes!
Spotted the random snake at the Queens Botanical Gardens at times.

https://ilovetheupperwestside.com/a-...ningside-park/

A Northern Brown Snake was spotted by the duck pond staircase in Morningside Park on Saturday, May 23rd. The sighting was photographed and shared by volunteer group Friends of Morningside Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: