Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 02:17 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Because those billionaires need to live close to their servants. Not long ago I worked with a guy that was on his way to be a billionaire. He lived in the Upper East side, he had a two floors in that building to himself. You take the elevator and you get out and it's the middle of his house. Of course he treated all of his employees like his personal servants.

Oh no, it's the way around. Poor people have historically moved into NYC in large numbers because they hoped to get the "servant" jobs if they were closer to employers. The billionaire can get people interested in being "servants" anywhere, but potential "servants" cannot get billionaires everywhere. Billionaires can live, and get employees/servants, wherever they want. There are many, many more times more servants than billionaires. If poor people understood how that concept worked, they would be using contraception, and there would be far less poverty/somewhat more people having a shot at becoming billionaires (but even more significantly, the middle class would have a better standard of life, not having to support poor people).

But in the recent history, poor people have been moving massively into NYC because now they can get everythingfor free in NYC even without working (as "servants" or anything else), because NYC billionaires are increasingly being forced to fully support over 1.5 million people who do nothing for the billionaires (as servants, or as anything else), and don't do anything for anyone in general. Billionaires have started scratching their heads about that already, and will have to decide whether NYC still offers enough artistic and other stimulation to warrant being constantly extorted of hundreds of millions in tax money :-).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 02:36 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times
One simple fact is that there are hundreds of galleries in NY and some of them get higher prices than elsewhere
An artist has the greatest number of venues to sell their art in.

additionally NYC has a lot of museums where an artist can go see many masterpieces old and modern.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:15 PM

874 posts, read 454,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post

". . .so artists who are not famous can usually only support their art by doing mindless,
poorly paid menial jobs which do not distract from their art..."

you don't like menial people.....?

. . .do you feel any menial-job person can't have intelligence or sophistication...? is that it?

. . .but I understand what you mean ! trust me. I see menial job people/knew people, etc,
people you deal with in the stores.. etc places: it's was incomprehensible to me that they
were even given "the menial job....."

Old 08-01-2020, 03:22 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
An intriguing question to start you weekend morning, isn't it?

The title is based on my observation, and I have my own thoughts on this. Curious mind would like to hear your thoughts first...
Sorry, but it seems like a dense question. Most people who aspire to be great in their field gravitate to big cities. Haven't you noticed? Did you not know that "crowded & filthy" Paris used to be the center of the art world? They go for the energy and the range of people and experience.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruSue View Post
you don't like menial people.....?

. . .do you feel any menial-job person can't have intelligence or sophistication...? is that it?

. . .but I understand what you mean ! trust me. I see menial job people/knew people, etc,
people you deal with in the stores.. etc places: it's was incomprehensible to me that they
were even given "the menial job....."

Oh, I don't doubt some menial workers are brilliant (I mentioned already that some menial workers were in fact artists. Kurt Cobain of Nirvana was a school janitor before there was Nirvana). But menial work does not require brilliance, which is why people can focus on creating artistic projects in their heads while mopping floors or flipping hamburgers.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:06 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
The number for the city seems to be 92.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...20billionaires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
That number is for the entire state, not NYC and that number has certainly gone down. I think the most recent number prior to this year is around 100 and trending down.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:07 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
I wallow in filth but I was raised in a Temple.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:08 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
To the original question, artists generally want to be around other artists, art dealers, art connoisseurs, and art buyers. NYC has a very large concentration of all of those.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:16 PM

16,050 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Oh no, it's the way around. Poor people have historically moved into NYC in large numbers because they hoped to get the "servant" jobs if they were closer to employers. The billionaire can get people interested in being "servants" anywhere, but potential "servants" cannot get billionaires everywhere. Billionaires can live, and get employees/servants, wherever they want. There are many, many more times more servants than billionaires. If poor people understood how that concept worked, they would be using contraception, and there would be far less poverty/somewhat more people having a shot at becoming billionaires (but even more significantly, the middle class would have a better standard of life, not having to support poor people).

But in the recent history, poor people have been moving massively into NYC because now they can get everythingfor free in NYC even without working (as "servants" or anything else), because NYC billionaires are increasingly being forced to fully support over 1.5 million people who do nothing for the billionaires (as servants, or as anything else), and don't do anything for anyone in general. Billionaires have started scratching their heads about that already, and will have to decide whether NYC still offers enough artistic and other stimulation to warrant being constantly extorted of hundreds of millions in tax money :-).

Response: I would be more than delighted to live among like minded people as yourself.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response: I would be more than delighted to live among like minded people as yourself.

Likewise, Mr. Retired :-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City