Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2020, 01:40 AM

8,475 posts, read 4,722,080 times

Advertisements

I always thought NYC as a stagnant place with high rents.

Now just a stagnant place with lower rent. Business as usual.

Folks who barely wanted to be there will quickly be gone,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 06:42 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Actually it is working pretty well out here in CA. The two issues that arise though are illegal hash oil labs which I am 100% against and those responsible should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Also robberies since it is a cash business.

Otherwise the sky isn't falling and people aren't killing each other on the freeways. The MJ business has also been doing super well during Covid.

I am from NYC 1969 -2015. The thing is people suffer to stay in NYC. You need to ask yourself why ? During my era it was definitely worth it .....minus the last decade. Otherwise I remember Manhattan rents 3k and up with heating and AC problems. Construction at 2am outside my window. Footsteps above me stomping at off hours. Staying home due to no dancing rules or inflated drink prices. Subways that stop working on the weekends. As mayor Ed Koch would say " How am I doing ? "

I may NEED to move back at some point for personal reasons but you got to be kidding me if you think NYC doesn't need to do EVERYTHING they can to entice people to come back because there is barely anything worth returning for right now.
CA is different because it's a giant state and regardless people work from home state will get their money from tech companies and workers there. Most of the state has good weather so people simply stay home and not have to deal with the dreaded traffic mess. COVID19 is a plus for many CA workers.

NYC is a different place because it's basically extortion. Businesses are offer almost zero taxes to open offices and just pack as many high salary workers and NYC extorts them of taxes for simply being in NYC.

Old 08-06-2020, 08:31 AM

8,678 posts, read 11,067,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
CA is different because it's a giant state and regardless people work from home state will get their money from tech companies and workers there. Most of the state has good weather so people simply stay home and not have to deal with the dreaded traffic mess. COVID19 is a plus for many CA workers.
CA is losing big salary earners to states like Idaho. CV19 has only accelerate the high wage earners outside states like CA & NYC.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-wo...re-11592386201

Old 08-06-2020, 08:57 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
Maybe not, but it has not been nearly as profitable as expected for either the legal industry or the state.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/marijua...es-2020-08-02/

Quote:
Actually it is working pretty well out here in CA. The two issues that arise though are illegal hash oil labs which I am 100% against and those responsible should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Also robberies since it is a cash business.

Otherwise the sky isn't falling and people aren't killing each other on the freeways. The MJ business has also been doing super well during Covid.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:00 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
Spoken like someone who hasn't been here.

Covid has shut down a lot of what people come to NY for. It's had the same effect all over the country (and really the world.) When it blows out, all that will come back. Do you think people will spend the rest of their lives holed up in their houses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I always thought NYC as a stagnant place with high rents.

Now just a stagnant place with lower rent. Business as usual.

Folks who barely wanted to be there will quickly be gone,

Old 08-06-2020, 09:55 AM

8,331 posts, read 4,370,041 times
Quote:

NYC is a different place because it's basically extortion. Businesses are offer almost zero taxes to open offices and just pack as many high salary workers and NYC extorts them of taxes for simply being in NYC.

For an average middle class/upper middle, CA is not tremendously different from NYC, and how do you think "state will get their money from tech companies and workers there" without extortionate taxes? NY state tax plus NYC surcharge is about the same as CA state tax. But businesses can get better tax breaks in CA than in NYC, and there are wonderful reasonably affordable places all over CA (even in the two major cities if you know where to look) where there is no concern of crime, while in NYC affordability almost always equals substantial crime rate.

Nevertheless, San Francisco has been hit by unprecedented homeless crisis with 40% increase in crime this year. The district attorney is the son of two people who spent their lives in long-term incarceration for violent acts equivalent to far-left terrorism. The said DA has essentially abolished arrests in the city for anything short of murder. So, right now, San Francisco is for the first time in my memory doing a bit worse than NYC... though I think it may change, ie, there may be a major backlash because large numbers of moderate liberals are very dissatisfied. In the meantime, an incredible number of people from the SF Bay Area are moving to Austin, TX, which will only accelerate after the vaccine. About exactly one year ago, Silicon Valley had dropped from the place with the highest number of startups in the nation to #2. Austin is now #1. Tech companies and their workers very much don't feel like giving all that money to the state of CA any more :-). I don't think SF is ever going to be a GOP stronghold, but political climate among people who remain in NorCal feels as though it is moving to predominantly moderate. The DA has gone a bit too far even for San Francisco, and I don't think the next wave of local elected officials will be "progressives". I wish the same could be said of NYC, but NYC is stuck in the mud of an enormous welfare voter base, who are bound to eventually get what they voted for, ie, financial collapse of the city.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:09 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,423,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
For an average middle class/upper middle, CA is not tremendously different from NYC,
True.

I get a break on my rent and utilities........and fruits and veggies. Otherwise Taxes and fees very similar to NYC.

The difference is I can actually look at my situation and SEE the benefits of my labor (in CA) so to speak. When you are sitting in a 3k apartment in NYC during an arctic blast with a crappy heater and drilling outside your window you wonder why you put any effort at all to live here. People somehow believe that to live in NYC you need to be punished and accept that punishment as a way of life...in NYC. I am here to tell you that is bull**** and it is fed to you in response to all the BS you need to put up with to live there.

Current NYC isn't worth a dime unless there is a definite reason to be there for work or family.

You couldn't pull me away from the city for one weekend back in the 80's/90's. I loved my city so much then that dreaded TV show SMUT in The City came on TV and the quality of people changed to a narcissistic fashionista " ME ME ME" MOB then the rest was downhill from there.....terrorism,Nazi Mayors,pricegouging, Covid etc.

NYC needs to get it together and put something real on offer. $300 off a 4k apartment doesn't justify a discount.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:31 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
For an average middle class/upper middle, CA is not tremendously different from NYC, and how do you think "state will get their money from tech companies and workers there" without extortionate taxes? NY state tax plus NYC surcharge is about the same as CA state tax. But businesses can get better tax breaks in CA than in NYC, and there are wonderful reasonably affordable places all over CA (even in the two major cities if you know where to look) where there is no concern of crime, while in NYC affordability almost always equals substantial crime rate.

Nevertheless, San Francisco has been hit by unprecedented homeless crisis with 40% increase in crime this year. The district attorney is the son of two people who spent their lives in long-term incarceration for violent acts equivalent to far-left terrorism. The said DA has essentially abolished arrests in the city for anything short of murder. So, right now, San Francisco is for the first time in my memory doing a bit worse than NYC... though I think it may change, ie, there may be a major backlash because large numbers of moderate liberals are very dissatisfied. In the meantime, an incredible number of people from the SF Bay Area are moving to Austin, TX, which will only accelerate after the vaccine. About exactly one year ago, Silicon Valley had dropped from the place with the highest number of startups in the nation to #2. Austin is now #1. Tech companies and their workers very much don't feel like giving all that money to the state of CA any more :-). I don't think SF is ever going to be a GOP stronghold, but political climate among people who remain in NorCal feels as though it is moving to predominantly moderate. The DA has gone a bit too far even for San Francisco, and I don't think the next wave of local elected officials will be "progressives". I wish the same could be said of NYC, but NYC is stuck in the mud of an enormous welfare voter base, who are bound to eventually get what they voted for, ie, financial collapse of the city.
That's because most of CA's liberals live in their own little zen gardens. I have CA friends that said "We need to do something about these homeless people, that's not how people should live." If liberals want to take care of them, they should take it upon themselves. It seems everybody in CA is an order taker and delegator and nobody does the work. Too many overpaid administrators.

They are simply too naïve to believe that their highly paid government workers will take care of the homeless problems. Now they are finally growing up and seeing why liberalism is bad in a democracy.

I predict NYC will move even more far left than before. After this and the next election. They won't pick a responsible and business minded mayor like Bloomberg who was boo'ed off because he did the right things to help NYC which upset all these antifa supporting liberals. There's nothing wrong with stop and frisk unless you have something to hide. I've been asked twice to open my bags and show my belongings and never had any issues with NYPD. Just do as they ask and they will let you go.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:50 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,423,637 times
Quote:
They won't pick a responsible and business minded mayor like Bloomberg who was boo'ed off because he did the right things to help NYC which upset all these antifa supporting liberals. There's nothing wrong with stop and frisk unless you have something to hide. I've been asked twice to open my bags and show my belongings and never had any issues with NYPD. Just do as they ask and they will let you go.
No.

Stop and Frisk is basically the white man's "legal" way of frisking anyone they want. I am caucasian by the way. There are other ways of policing.

I have experienced Stop and Frisk in other countries and I can tell you it can lead to a lot of abuse of power and even robbery. In a perfect world perhaps but people are far from perfect.

Bloomberg stepped on his own feet when he re elected himself to a 3rd term. He was a narcissistic dictator that appealed to the gentrifier crowd because he made their wet dreams come true by making NYC safe enough for them to move here. Basically he is an ******* that hides behind a democratic moniker when in reality he is about as red as they get. The fact that he was willing to run for president as a DEM is a spit in the face to all Democrats.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:54 AM

6,635 posts, read 2,951,738 times
Quote:
... by making NYC safe enough for them to move here.
Argue about the method's effectiveness, ..but making a city safe is not a Bad thing, imho. You use it as a negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City