Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 06:56 AM

37,145 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
All your articles shows is perhaps we had the most days in a row of above average humidity. But do they mean above average for NYC/Northeast? I think not. NYC experiences above average humidity in the summer compared to California is perfectly normal. Was any of the humidity levels and therefore the real feel temp way above what we have experienced? Definitely not. And I worked outdoors this July quite often.
It’s not about it average humidity in the summer being higher here than in California. It’s about the summer here now compared to summers here in the past. People can have different experiences while living in the same city, but in addition to several people stating that this summer feels hotter, you also have actual record-keeping showing that it’s hotter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 07:02 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
We no longer have real cold fronts in the summer.
I Am something of a weather buff and I have noticed a strange phenomenon over the past couple decades. A cold front passes through PA and NJ like a solid wall bringing serious rain and cooling. A few miles outside of NYC it splits (like Moses parting the Red Sea) with half going North of the City and half South, which both get torrential rain and the City gets NOTHING, no rain, no cooling. It is almost as if the City is covered by a resistant dome.

Watch for it.

Does anyone have any good guesses why this is so?

Old 08-12-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I saw that we are officially "subtropical" now.
New York City has been "officially subtropical" for decades or longer.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:58 AM

965 posts, read 724,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
New York City has been "officially subtropical" for decades or longer.
https://www.thecut.com/2020/07/new-y...btropical.html

According to several articles it was humid continental, officially. But I will confess to have done next to no research, so maybe I'm missing something.

July was also the hottest month ever in NJ.
https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...ys/3335492001/

Old 08-12-2020, 02:05 PM

37,145 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
I Am something of a weather buff and I have noticed a strange phenomenon over the past couple decades. A cold front passes through PA and NJ like a solid wall bringing serious rain and cooling. A few miles outside of NYC it splits (like Moses parting the Red Sea) with half going North of the City and half South, which both get torrential rain and the City gets NOTHING, no rain, no cooling. It is almost as if the City is covered by a resistant dome.

Watch for it.

Urban heat island effect and/or the influence of a warmer Atlantic?

Old 08-12-2020, 06:48 PM

615 posts, read 448,342 times
Quote:

Watch for it.

It's trying to avoid the high tolls.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:57 PM
exm

3,721 posts, read 1,780,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
It has been way too hot and humid for the last 3 summers. High 80s and 90s and high humidity for weeks on end. . Fall can't come soon enough.

If feel 2018 and 2019 had summers that weren't THAT hot. This year is different though.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:23 AM

My air conditioner blew last August, fortunately just before the weather cooled somewhat. I fiddle-farted with a decision until mid-May when it was just beginning to get warm. I only beat the first heat wave by a day or two.

Only 3 nights so far this Summer have I slept with the AC OFF and windows Open, last noght being one of them.

Air Conditioning is the only reasonable argument for the existence of God.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:08 AM

5,678 posts, read 2,610,110 times
Sadly the heatwave is over. It looks like we're only going as high as mid-eighties for the rest of the summer

Old 08-15-2020, 08:26 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
its gonna be hot til the end of Sept
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City