Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 10:15 AM

2,368 posts, read 1,165,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerBroker View Post
Its funny because I have teacher friends who post on social media about how going back to in-person instruction is bad and we are going to kill people. Then I see them posting stories of them at restaurants, bars, out on the beach, etc. I guess they aren't worried about dying from getting COVID in a bar but in a classroom it is leathal!

It just shows how their protesting is to continue working from home. Teaching online is easier and less stressful (I would know since I have taught both in-person and online at the college level).

The teachers and the teachers union should be ashamed of themselves for perpetuating this lie that in person instruction is not safe.

I have had the same experience, a few are even jokingly saying they hope there is a spike. I get it I'm not looking forward to going back to the office but it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 10:54 AM

144 posts, read 80,107 times
If they don't go to school that doesn't mean they're not studying. They do that with a computer at home, but teachers are still there doing their work. That's the answer.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:00 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,469,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerBroker View Post

It just shows how their protesting is to continue working from home. Teaching online is easier and less stressful (I would know since I have taught both in-person and online at the college level).

Lol. If you think teaching at the college level has anything comparable to teaching online at the elementary level, you're delusional. It's a boatload more work and stress, and simply less effective. Your comparisons aren't valid, sorry.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:11 PM

1,186 posts, read 956,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
If there is cancel rent movement and defund police movement, why not cancel tax movement?

Defund teachers!
Yes, if there is one thing that we desperately need right now in America it is LESS education!

All of that said, schools should have figured out how to manage a contingency distance learning scenario years ago. I was homeschooled in the 1990's by watching recycled VHS tapes of classroom instruction while following along in textbooks. Despite the obvious shortcomings it was still workable. No internet connection required. In 2020 it's not insane to suggest that online or offline distance learning (which, by the way, colleges already charge tens of thousands of dollars for) should not be so hard to figure out. Given the cost of school taxes in NY this should be easy stuff! Eliminate the six figure+ "administrative" positions, consolidate districts as needed and start focusing on what the public school system is supposed to be about: educating people.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:56 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,330,621 times
I would think it's because of the funds that go into paying teachers/staff AND the technology required to support online learning. There could be other things too...

Old 08-11-2020, 07:18 PM

1,368 posts, read 709,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I would think it's because of the funds that go into paying teachers/staff AND the technology required to support online learning. There could be other things too...
Summer school cost this year is down 120 million due to online learning. Imagine what March -June saved.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:08 PM

991 posts, read 1,761,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Everyone has had to adapt to this. That’s human nature. Adapt. Especially when you paid a very high salary.
I don't know what you think is a high salary but teaching is not one of them. And yes they are adapting and should still be paid to do so.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:09 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,647,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You don't think there's work involved in transitioning an entire curriculum from the centuries norm of face to face classroom teaching to trying to do online coursework in the course of several months? The hell is wrong with you?
Response: Opinion
Former educator. Know all to well..........

Old 08-12-2020, 06:20 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,647,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
If athletes are on scholarship and not playing football, should their scholarships be revoked? Pro athletes who don't play should definitely not be paid!
Response: Opinion
Still Apples and Oranges although I Understand your point.

A scholarship of this type is a rare coin among many pennies ,nickels ,dimes and quarter students.
that won't be revoked as the talented individual is off to other far better areas of matriculation.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:37 AM

6,199 posts, read 2,981,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Simple and straight forward question.
Property owners understand that the biggest hit to their
pockets is not the land your home sits on but the school
the neighborhood kids attend.

If New York City does not open its' schools then why should
property owners be subjected to paying the full amount on school taxes.

There is a minimum one pays for gas,electric and water whether you use it or not.
I believe under these circumstances the same should apply to the City school wide
system. If there is a 20% no show by choice then drop the school tax by 20% as well.

What is your opinion?
Curious minds would like to know....

My wife and I were "40ish" when we got married, and it was a first marriage for both of us. I, especially, had to deal with the death of one of my parents when I was at a relatively young age, as my parents weren't all that young when they had me. Having lived through that, I wasn't all that keen at bringing a child into the world when I was 40. My wife agreed, so we didn't have any children.

HOWEVER, that hasn't stopped my local school district from sending me a sizable tax bill, for the last 30 years. In fact, my tax bill today, even with the "senior citizen discounts", equals what my total tax bill was, 30 years ago.

I think you can guess how I feel about this............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: