Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 07:29 PM

209 posts, read 252,543 times

Advertisements

New York City is going to be very slow in getting new residents for a long time to come, especially since vaccines to prevent coronavirus will take years to be produced. Immigration into the USA has been halted or very limited because of the pandemic concerns.

There will still be new residents coming to live in New York City, but it will be at a much slower flow, and it will be more of people who are actually coming in trying to seek economical and educational opportunities and not so much for luxurious lifestyles. It will be like this for years to come. The city is starting to go back to the 1970s.

All these people leaving NYC, many are hipsters originally from the suburbs can easily work from home offsite without being in the workplace thanks to advancing technologies and can easily pay a much lower rent or buy property at a lower price with more space out in the suburbs than in NYC, in addition to the fact they are all afraid of the overcrowding of NYC will increase the chances of the spread of coronavirus and now would rather be in less densely populated areas like the suburbs, which will have lower chances of the coronavirus spread. These people are more than likely not going to come back.

Many of those hipsters have the resources and experiences to be able to create their own businesses, which will make economically more affordable sense rent wise and property ownership wise and more spaciously sense to open businesses in the suburbs. There are already small little urban enclaves in the suburbs that are like the size of Carroll Gardens, which many of these hipsters will further developmentally expand them as well as they will create even more small urban enclaves in empty unused spaces or lots out in the suburbs with adding more businesses with more educational and economic opportunities, more apartment buildings as well as restaurant/bars and other entertainment venues. This will start giving the other young suburbanites less reasons to want to come into the big cities for economic/educational opportunities and would rather stay back in the suburbs for those economic and educational opportunities including entertainment venues that will be available thanks to the other hipsters that are fleeing back and they will be able to easily drive between home and work including being able to work offsite on their computers on certain days and can easily afford the rents and mortgages either in their neighborhood or in the small little urban enclaves near their town instead of having to worry about the subways/buses or the toll bridges and they won't have to worry about paying high rents in the big cities in addition to the fact they also are even now afraid of being in overcrowded big cities worried they can easily catch the virus.

Last edited by toby2016; 08-15-2020 at 07:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 09:27 PM

15,803 posts, read 14,419,739 times
Apparently it's not just NYC and SF.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-droves.html

Old 08-16-2020, 07:20 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,964,777 times
ANd where are all these "rich and famous people" moving to? Allentown, PA? Toledo OH? Jefferson City, MO?

I cannot see Anderson Cooper living in Athens, GA? Can you?

Old 08-16-2020, 07:34 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,524,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
ANd where are all these "rich and famous people" moving to? Allentown, PA? Toledo OH? Jefferson City, MO?

Seriously. .

Old 08-16-2020, 08:07 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,175,210 times
Quote:

More likely Athens Greece...

Old 08-16-2020, 09:31 AM

15,803 posts, read 14,419,739 times
Greenwich, Chappaqua, Alpine. Maybe rich exurbs farther out (where they had weekend homes already.)

Quote:

Old 08-16-2020, 09:41 AM

11,599 posts, read 12,638,795 times
We saw where they lived when they gave interviews and broadcasts from home. We saw their living rooms and kitchens, even the local newscasters. Hudson Valley, Inland NJ, East End of Long Island, CT.

Old 08-16-2020, 10:15 AM

12,819 posts, read 18,651,232 times
I was in Manhattan for six weeks in 1979. I see references to bad times there in the 70’s and 80’s. I was oblivious to the severity of those had times. I was 20. I walked the streets at all hours in awe, occasionally feeling the need to gracefully turn around and head back in the direction I came from. All the talk about crime in the “Big City” hadn’t scared me. I had grown up in rural South Carolina, and Columbia, S.C., was the biggest place I had ever been. In Manhattan I thought the homeless people were just a part of the intrigue of city life. I didn’t sweat it. I learned to ignore them pretty much immediately. As far storefronts we’re concerned, there were vibrant areas and then there were boarded-up areas full of graffiti. When my time was up in NYC, I didn’t want to leave. I sometimes wonder what would have happened in my life if I hadn’t.

So, now I’m wondering, what does today’s misfortune actually look like on the street? Does anyone have descriptive powers they wouldn’t mind using to answer my question? I’m not here to gloat over the “Big City’s” current troubles. I love NYC and would like to see it be, without question, the best place on earth (with housing for all). I am sad right now for NYC and worried for all cities. But, if leaving NYC, maybe take a look at Charleston. Thanks for listening.

Old 08-16-2020, 10:21 AM

33,902 posts, read 47,091,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I was in Manhattan for six weeks in 1979. I see references to bad times there in the 70’s and 80’s. I was oblivious to the severity of those had times. I was 20. I walked the streets at all hours in awe, occasionally feeling the need to gracefully turn around and head back in the direction I came from. All the talk about crime in the “Big City” hadn’t scared me. I had grown up in rural South Carolina, and Columbia, S.C., was the biggest place I had ever been. In Manhattan I thought the homeless people were just a part of the intrigue of city life. I didn’t sweat it. I learned to ignore them pretty much immediately. As far storefronts we’re concerned, there were vibrant areas and then there were boarded-up areas full of graffiti. When my time was up in NYC, I didn’t want to leave. I sometimes wonder what would have happened in my life if I hadn’t.

So, now I’m wondering, what does today’s misfortune actually look like on the street? Does anyone have descriptive powers they wouldn’t mind using to answer my question? I’m not here to gloat over the “Big City’s” current troubles. I love NYC and would like to see it be, without question, the best place on earth (with housing for all). I am sad right now for NYC and worried for all cities. But, if leaving NYC, maybe take a look at Charleston. Thanks for listening.
It's no sweat. The rhetoric you see on this board are mostly from people who need guidance in life and haven't figured it out for themselves, or the elderly with no family assistance. Granted, there are people who have lost jobs, businesses because of the pandemic. But as humans we must always adapt. We are the best species at adapting but the most resistant to change. What irony is that. The same amount of time spent complaining can be spent bettering your advantage. But ppl rather complain. I dont judge.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-16-2020, 11:25 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,619,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post

There's a lot of trolls on here who are hyping a false NYC is dying hellhole narrative, don't fall for it. My opinion is that there's a political reason for these threads or that they're trying to drive real estate prices down to be able to invest when prices are low.

Depending on where you are in Manhattan, some of the main differences you notice walking around are that people are wearing masks, there's outdoor dining, and it's less crowded. I know that crime has gone up a bit, but I don't feel any sense of danger/foreboding. People are out and about and on the weekends, the parks are well used. Of course there's a lot of things that aren't open due to covid, but I don't find the vibe on the street to be a 1979 flashback at all.

I was in Upper Manhattan yesterday, and to me wasn't so different at all, except that people are wearing masks and there's a lot of outdoor dining (which is really nice). In fact, I don't think outerboroughs are at all less crowded, at least where I am it's just as busy. Manhattan is different because it was a tourist destination, office destination, and had many residents who had second homes/more disposable income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City