Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 09:39 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessPlayer793 View Post
And from NY to NJ. Maryland has an 18 miles long bridge/tunnel combination, the long island sound is only 7-15 miles depending on the location. It's insane that someone who wants to drive from Orient Point to Rhode Island has to go 75 miles out of the way and back, when one bridge would make the trip 9 miles. I know there are ferries but still. If you look at LA's interstate map, they have a complete grid of fully connected interstates, look at Brooklyn and Manhattan, they have half-developed parkways that go around the perimeter going nowhere, and some highways just end out of nowhere. Looking at the fragmented I-495 on the map is the most hilarious thing, like it just disappears into another dimension once you enter manhattan and magically appears again in Jersey!
I-495 doesn't just do that in NY and NJ. It's in Maine, Massachusetts, Delaware, and is the Capital Beltway that runs around Washington DC. It's part of the I-95 system.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:46 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessPlayer793 View Post
And from NY to NJ. Maryland has an 18 miles long bridge/tunnel combination, the long island sound is only 7-15 miles depending on the location. It's insane that someone who wants to drive from Orient Point to Rhode Island has to go 75 miles out of the way and back, when one bridge would make the trip 9 miles. I know there are ferries but still. If you look at LA's interstate map, they have a complete grid of fully connected interstates, look at Brooklyn and Manhattan, they have half-developed parkways that go around the perimeter going nowhere, and some highways just end out of nowhere. Looking at the fragmented I-495 on the map is the most hilarious thing, like it just disappears into another dimension once you enter manhattan and magically appears again in Jersey!
I 495 for one should be 395 195 795 995 or 595. on 3 digit interstates if the 1st # is even it usually encircles the metro area or branches off a 2 digit interstate, goes through downtown (so truck traffic doesnt get ensnared in rush hr traffic) and reconnects at another segment on the 2 digit. In NYC even if Robert Moses had his way in running 495 through midtown, it just branches off a 2 digit and goes straight to its end point, which is what the 3 digit interstate with a odd number is supposed to do. Obviously theres exceptions all over the country but the 495 in Boston and DC as well as 695 in Baltimore are beltways. 276 in Philadelphia is more or less a bypass. Ditto for 495 in Wilmington DE. 495 in NY doesnt function as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 10:51 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,149 times
https://www.6sqft.com/mapping-the-ne...es-and-others/

heres what alot of Robert Moses' highway proposals wouldve looked like had they been built.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:02 PM

1,414 posts, read 722,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
https://www.6sqft.com/mapping-the-ne...es-and-others/

heres what alot of Robert Moses' highway proposals wouldve looked like had they been built.
I think some of them were good ideas, and others not so much. Brooklyn and Staten Island would of definitely benefited from some of them.

Old 09-16-2020, 05:04 AM

206 posts, read 116,502 times
Considering the red tape, unions and expensive labor costs in ny/ nj it will cost more than the US gdp to do what you suggest.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:17 PM

97 posts, read 21,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
I 495 for one should be 395 195 795 995 or 595. on 3 digit interstates if the 1st # is even it usually encircles the metro area or branches off a 2 digit interstate, goes through downtown (so truck traffic doesnt get ensnared in rush hr traffic) and reconnects at another segment on the 2 digit. In NYC even if Robert Moses had his way in running 495 through midtown, it just branches off a 2 digit and goes straight to its end point, which is what the 3 digit interstate with a odd number is supposed to do. Obviously theres exceptions all over the country but the 495 in Boston and DC as well as 695 in Baltimore are beltways. 276 in Philadelphia is more or less a bypass. Ditto for 495 in Wilmington DE. 495 in NY doesnt function as such.
I-495 is perpendicular to I-95, how could it be part of that "system". Usually interstates branching off from the same 2 numbers are parallel or at least the same in that they are both going east-west, or north-south. I-495 does not even connect with Interstate 95 unless you count the clearview EXPWY as the connecting road. They need to add more east-west highways in long island to diffuse the traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City