Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 07:05 AM

33,761 posts, read 46,990,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I feel no sympathy for Chinese people in Flushing. Sorry if this makes me a monster, but as someone born and raised in Flushing I say they reap what they sow. Chinese people roll up to purchase homes owned by baby boomers with boatloads of cash, raising the prices for millennials born and raised here who can't afford even the crappiest, tiny starter home. Where do they get this money? They are income poor, cash rich. Serves them right that they now feel the effects of people coming in and raising their home prices. I find it hilarious that they're being pushed out by other Asians.

Sorry, not sorry.
Oh the irony

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-14-2020, 08:48 AM

8,277 posts, read 4,310,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...y-developments

The cultural and culinary landscape of Flushing, in Queens, has been disrupted as Asian American conglomerates gentrify the working-class area

Beats me why would an immigrant who is "terrified or scared of speaking English" move into the US. Due to its uncomplicated grammar and a lot of Latin-derived (ie, internationally known) words, basic English is just about the easiest language to learn (a piece of trivia: what word is the most readily understood word worldwide?).

As for the rest of the post, it describes normal market forces on which the US was built, and on which its economy still stands. If one can no longer afford the rent in place A, one moves to place B - everyone else in the US does that, so why should anyone in NYC be exempt from it?

Btw, where are the allegedly displaced working- class Asians moving from Flushing? Are they the Chinese I have been seeing in recent years in Parkchester, the Bronx? Not that many, though. Where are the others going?

Answer to the trivia question: the word "okay".

Old 08-14-2020, 09:33 AM

17,876 posts, read 15,807,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
60% of the residents in zip code 11354 are renters, according to City-Data:

//www.city-data.com/zips/11354.html

So 60% of the population have no say in what happens to their neighborhood as they do not own their properties. Que sera sera
Nothing I read on internet implies that only owners can be on the community board. Community boards influence zoning and developments.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:37 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,574,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Beats me why would an immigrant who is "terrified or scared of speaking English" move into the US. Due to its uncomplicated grammar and a lot of Latin-derived (ie, internationally known) words, basic English is just about the easiest language to learn (a piece of trivia: what word is the most readily understood word worldwide?).

As for the rest of the post, it describes normal market forces on which the US was built, and on which its economy still stands. If one can no longer afford the rent in place A, one moves to place B - everyone else in the US does that, so why should anyone in NYC be exempt from it?

Btw, where are the allegedly displaced working- class Asians moving from Flushing? Are they the Chinese I have been seeing in recent years in Parkchester, the Bronx? Not that many, though. Where are the others going?

Answer to the trivia question: the word "okay".
The answer is that the US is one of few that gives away free stuff to illegals.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:09 AM

33,761 posts, read 46,990,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Nothing I read on internet implies that only owners can be on the community board. Community boards influence zoning and developments.
Tell that to them, not me

From OP's article:

"The optics of a white man trying to grab a young woman of color, while police officers stood by, was ripe for outraged clicks. After a tense debate at a public hearing on 10 February, the Queens community board chair, Eugene Kelty, lunged at a Chinese American woman who was part of a large group opposing a special waterfront district in Flushing, New York.

Later that night, the board – whose leadership is almost all white and had conducted the entire hearing in English – voted in favor of the waterfront district, which would pave the way for more luxury developments there."

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-14-2020, 02:14 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,807,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Tell that to them, not me

From OP's article:

"The optics of a white man trying to grab a young woman of color, while police officers stood by, was ripe for outraged clicks. After a tense debate at a public hearing on 10 February, the Queens community board chair, Eugene Kelty, lunged at a Chinese American woman who was part of a large group opposing a special waterfront district in Flushing, New York.

Later that night, the board – whose leadership is almost all white and had conducted the entire hearing in English – voted in favor of the waterfront district, which would pave the way for more luxury developments there."
Well whole point of community boards to act as a voice and collective bargaining for the locals. To stage meetings, and get the locals input. That meeting is just that. The locals expressing themselves regardless of the board leaders feeling opposite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commun..._New_York_City

Old 08-14-2020, 03:20 PM

6,067 posts, read 4,428,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I feel no sympathy for Chinese people in Flushing. Sorry if this makes me a monster, but as someone born and raised in Flushing I say they reap what they sow. Chinese people roll up to purchase homes owned by baby boomers with boatloads of cash, raising the prices for millennials born and raised here who can't afford even the crappiest, tiny starter home. Where do they get this money? They are income poor, cash rich. Serves them right that they now feel the effects of people coming in and raising their home prices. I find it hilarious that they're being pushed out by other Asians.

Sorry, not sorry.
As a boomer also raised in Flushing and displaced by the first "Asian invasion" before you were even born, I feel sorry for poor and working people in Flushing of any race. The gentrification now is no different than it was then; it's about money, nothing else. Those who lose out are the ones who don't have enough power (read: money) to have any say.

I actually went back to Flushing for a year before I was priced out of NYC completely and going without prejudice, I melded into the community and loved living there. I wish I lived there now - or maybe not since I'd just be pushed out again by the next generation of moneymakers.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:30 PM

5,041 posts, read 4,914,940 times
I live in Flushing and my LL just asked for a 3% raise in rent when my lease is up for renewal, in the middle of a pandemic that empties a good amount of apartments in NYC. Greedy LLs will keep pushing the limit until you are out...

Old 08-14-2020, 08:01 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,600,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response: Opinion

Just because it's a pretty building doesn't make it a nice place to live. Flushing has turned into another
LEGO sandbox for all the wealthy developers to play in except they leave after making their mess and
continue onto the next playground. It's the people that come in behind the little rich kids that have to
pay to play once they leave.

$1.5 million for an apartment in Flushing? Seriously? You can buy a building in nicer parts of Queens for that price.
$6 dollar dumplings in Flushing ? I can get 5 for $1 in Manhattan and have a better time.

Barnum said it best. There's a sucker born every minute.
I actually do find that funny. Chinatown in Manhattan has always been a cheaper time for me than Flushing. The only place I can say I liked in Flushing over alternatives in Manhattan was Spice World, but even then the all you can eat (since Spice World isn't all you can eat and thus much more expensive) hotpots seem to be higher quality in Manhattan, particularly Hometown Hotpot on Grand near Mulberry.

Way back when I went often because it was praised as the best Chinatown, and I guess maybe since that's a baseless statement, but I just found it to be 2 malls (1 at the time I think?), food wasn't really cheaper for the quality, and the nightlife was godly overpriced vs what I'm used to in Manhattan. Like, kereoke in Flushing with $15 drinks or in Alphabet City with $4 drinks. I'm ordering the same thing and singing the same songs, so what gives.

I think you may be talking about the dumpling place on Mosco St in Chinatown. Used to be 20c per dumpling, but they raised their prices last time I was there so we just went to Venessas

Old 08-14-2020, 08:38 PM

5,041 posts, read 4,914,940 times
Flushing to Chinatown is like UES to Washington Heights.

Location matters and you pay a premium for your location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City