Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 05:31 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Very expected, and not surprising.

It happened in Chinatown, Manhattan. Now, it is happening in Flushing. I won't be surprised if this phenomena is happening in all parts of southern Brooklyn, as well.

Anytime you have a popular neighborhood, especially one which it's cornerstone is affordable cuisines, or "cheap eats," as Chinatown(s) is known for, you will see a supply and demand phenomenon. You will see developers, who will want to invest in already crowded Chinatown, Flushing, Queens. And yes, the mom and pop restaurants and stores may be sacrificed.

Oh, and don't go on the premise that mom and pops are protected if they own their property. As everyone knows, when the value goes up, so do the taxes. And can mom and pops stay afloat with rising tax costs.....?
Chinatown, Manhattan has ironically been able to keep the neighborhood the way it is because I suspect many of the original Cantonese who made that area what it is many decades ago *bought* those buildings. They're fine keeping that area a boarding house for new Cantonese who then eventually settle into Brooklyn.

Flushing, OTOH, seems to represent the "New China" and most especially Mandarin-speaking China. Middle class Chinese looking to offshore both their money and themselves are more attracted to Flushing so you get these waves of development cash coming in.

Me, I think Flushing should turn into a new HK, it'd help the cities economy to have an area become sort of a Asian corporate/finanical hub.

Old 08-16-2020, 05:50 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Chinatown, Manhattan has ironically been able to keep the neighborhood the way it is because I suspect many of the original Cantonese who made that area what it is many decades ago *bought* those buildings. They're fine keeping that area a boarding house for new Cantonese who then eventually settle into Brooklyn.

Flushing, OTOH, seems to represent the "New China" and most especially Mandarin-speaking China. Middle class Chinese looking to offshore both their money and themselves are more attracted to Flushing so you get these waves of development cash coming in.

Me, I think Flushing should turn into a new HK, it'd help the cities economy to have an area become sort of a Asian corporate/finanical hub.
Let me be the first to say, from someone who has worked next to Chinatown, Manhattan, for 30 years, and one who has frequented Flushing, Queens, for the last 10......

Roosevelt/Main/Kissena has become more crowded than Canal Street. Just a theory, but I would credit gentrification/unaffordable Manhattan costs, plus the crackdown on the fake Louis Vitton spots on Canal (you didn't hear that part, from me! LOL!) as a factor in why there is not much traffic in Chinatown, than in the past.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:51 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I cosign all of this. I openly admit that I don't like Chinese people. Not Chinese Americans, mind you. Chinese people from China. And I don't feel bad about it either because Chinese people are racist against non-Chinese anyway. Now they're being priced out--too bad, so sad.
Replace Chinese and China with anything you like. Mods, I call racism. Blatant. Of course you don't feel bad about; racists never do, they have handy rationalizations just like you do.

Old 08-16-2020, 04:32 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I actually do find that funny. Chinatown in Manhattan has always been a cheaper time for me than Flushing. The only place I can say I liked in Flushing over alternatives in Manhattan was Spice World, but even then the all you can eat (since Spice World isn't all you can eat and thus much more expensive) hotpots seem to be higher quality in Manhattan, particularly Hometown Hotpot on Grand near Mulberry.

Way back when I went often because it was praised as the best Chinatown, and I guess maybe since that's a baseless statement, but I just found it to be 2 malls (1 at the time I think?), food wasn't really cheaper for the quality, and the nightlife was godly overpriced vs what I'm used to in Manhattan. Like, kereoke in Flushing with $15 drinks or in Alphabet City with $4 drinks. I'm ordering the same thing and singing the same songs, so what gives.

I think you may be talking about the dumpling place on Mosco St in Chinatown. Used to be 20c per dumpling, but they raised their prices last time I was there so we just went to Venessas
Response: 106 Mosco st. Good Job.......................

Chinatown Manhattan still has a few places left where you can by good eats on the cheap.
I still hit one of two noodle carts right on Centre st. $3 noodles and fishballs............yummy.
I can't even buy a bottle of water in Flushing Chinatown for that price...............

Old 08-16-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
It is better that we can all like different things in life in harmony and peace: I can look down upon you smiling when you sun bath naked in your pretty private backyard, while you looking up at me high in the sky admiring the safe living that I enjoy in my guarded apartment when thugs roam the streets down on the ground... Diversity can be a good thing in the eyes of peace loving citizens... but the racists can always come up with hateful twists on things that differ from their own routines or views of the world even though the said differences don’t interfere with their QOL in any remote way. when I lived in Blyn a good while ago, I overheard my Irish American neighbors chatting and expressing their disgust over how “guidos” put red sauce into everything they cook and that the “chinks” mix their food with soy sauce non stop...for them, if you don’t put alcohol into your coffee, you will be treated like a pagan...
Response: Yuk....I don't sun bathe. Not good for the skin.

Although our views differ I am happy that you are happy in your hi-rise.
I pray that you have a good company servicing your building. Hell of a walk if the electric goes out.................

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 08-16-2020 at 05:01 PM..

Old 08-16-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingBlue View Post
Response: Your opinion is an opinion.
Response: Absolutely!

Old 08-16-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I cosign all of this. I openly admit that I don't like Chinese people. Not Chinese Americans, mind you. Chinese people from China. And I don't feel bad about it either because Chinese people are racist against non-Chinese anyway. Now they're being priced out--too bad, so sad.
Response: Opinion

I reject the idea of communism but can't hate a people because they are born into it.
I can not hate a people who's only God is wealth and exclusionary. I can only thank
my God for Life and the choice to live and breather freely in just about anyplace in America.
Mind you .............it is far removed from tons and tons of concrete. I can plant all the
tomatoes I want.......grow tons of garlic and vegetables and drink all the Irish Coffee I want.
A few generations from now city folks for family homes to tower people will have their offspring
living somewhere far out in the woods but for my life time the woods will have belonged to me and I'm not selling........................

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 08-16-2020 at 05:09 PM..

Old 08-19-2020, 02:20 PM

13 posts, read 19,839 times
Quote:
WOW this is so openly racist...

Old 08-19-2020, 02:44 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
thread closed for mod review

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City