Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 06:33 AM

4,171 posts, read 4,045,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I tried to fight mine but did not win. I will have to update my thread. New Yorkers seem to be fine with red light cameras because they are still here. You can be driving 9:59 at night no traffic no school (not holiday time but literally school has been ordered closed) and srill get a ticket if you go over 10 mph. It's a big scam.
You mean a speed camera, not a red light camera. Red light cameras operate 24/7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 10:24 AM

1,486 posts, read 980,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I tried to fight mine but did not win. I will have to update my thread. New Yorkers seem to be fine with red light cameras because they are still here. You can be driving 9:59 at night no traffic no school (not holiday time but literally school has been ordered closed) and srill get a ticket if you go over 10 mph. It's a big scam.
The are not red light cameras, they are speed cameras. Two different things.

One activate when you run a red light
One activates when you go 10mph over the speed limit.

Old 08-16-2020, 10:40 AM

1,394 posts, read 706,561 times
Ironically enought, I never got a speed ticket before. But I left in 2018 before NYC gave the okay to put speed cameras everywhere. I most likely would of ended up with a few if I still lived there. But then again, I tried to avoid using the "major throughfares" as much as possible when I lived there, simply sticking to side streets or highways.

Old 08-16-2020, 10:56 AM

30,562 posts, read 18,061,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
The are not red light cameras, they are speed cameras. Two different things.

One activate when you run a red light
One activates when you go 10mph over the speed limit.
Do red light cameras active when a sensor picks up on a vehicle passing a certain point upon a red light or do they automatically snap a picture at the turning of the red light for any vehicles that happen to be crossing over at that time?

Old 08-16-2020, 11:22 AM

106,242 posts, read 108,237,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Do red light cameras active when a sensor picks up on a vehicle passing a certain point upon a red light or do they automatically snap a picture at the turning of the red light for any vehicles that happen to be crossing over at that time?
They have a curb line sensor and a center of the intersection sensor .both have to be tripped on red to trigger the camera

Old 08-16-2020, 12:20 PM

1,486 posts, read 980,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
They have a curb line sensor and a center of the intersection sensor .both have to be tripped on red to trigger the camera
Thanks for that explanation, I always thought once the light turn red the video camera activates as ive gotten caught before out in Nassau. When i checked the ticket online they had a photo of my plate front and back, and a nice video clearly showing the car running the red light.

Couldn't even fight it even if I wanted to, but i swear that yellow light only lasted 1 second when the traffic light was changing from green to red but their video starts off from the light being red

Old 08-16-2020, 04:28 PM

4,171 posts, read 4,045,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Thanks for that explanation, I always thought once the light turn red the video camera activates as ive gotten caught before out in Nassau. When i checked the ticket online they had a photo of my plate front and back, and a nice video clearly showing the car running the red light.

Couldn't even fight it even if I wanted to, but i swear that yellow light only lasted 1 second when the traffic light was changing from green to red but their video starts off from the light being red
There should be some standard for how long the yellow must last based on the speed limit, like four seconds for 40 mph. I don’t think there is so I am surprised no one ever challenged that in court. I think some lights with cameras may be timed with short intervals to increase tickets. Sometimes I stop on a yellow and I swear it doesn’t change red for five seconds after I stopped but other streets it’s 3 1/2 seconds from yellow to red.

Old 08-16-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
There should be some standard for how long the yellow must last based on the speed limit, like four seconds for 40 mph. I don’t think there is so I am surprised no one ever challenged that in court. I think some lights with cameras may be timed with short intervals to increase tickets. Sometimes I stop on a yellow and I swear it doesn’t change red for five seconds after I stopped but other streets it’s 3 1/2 seconds from yellow to red.
Yes ,there are standards for the lights based on speeds.. at 30 miles an hour they were 3 to 3.7 seconds

Old 08-16-2020, 08:34 PM

30,562 posts, read 18,061,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Ok. I asked because sometimes I've seen the camera lights flash when it didn't appear that any vehicle crossed the intersection/ran the red light.

Old 08-17-2020, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Ok. I asked because sometimes I've seen the camera lights flash when it didn't appear that any vehicle crossed the intersection/ran the red light.
they test exposure all the time to make sure they are in range always and adjusted to the light conditions as they change .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: