Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 07:15 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times

Advertisements

Why don't most American cities of 1 million or more have a Republican mayor?

Quote:
The main reason is pretty simple. Republican economic policies are anti-cities, because their anti-big government. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it means the only city Republicans have a chance of winning is New York City, because that's the only place where local Republicans understand they can't go with their stereotypical hands-off economic policies.

Republicans view on public transportation in most cities has been it doesn't need to exist. Cities unlike rural areas are constantly evolving and need policies that constantly evolve, a hands-off policy is basically voting someone into government to do nothing. In the most literal sense cities aren't conservative paces. Attempting to conserve the status quo means the city is less innovative and falling behind when compared to it's peers. Now if Republicans economic policies were more in line with the basic big city principles on an economic argument a Republican would have the chance of winning a city. Social issues just bury Republicans today, but the economic viewpoint of we are going to get into office and do nothing does not and cannot appeal to true Urbanites. Now suburbanites who live in the city limits like Northern San Diego and Kingwood/Clear Lake, Memorial hell half of Houston, Republican policies can win because these guys are within cities but not city folk at all.

Reaganism has been the economic policy of the Republicans for 50 years+, and as long as that strain of do nothing in government and keep everything exactly the same, Republicans will struggle in any city not named NYC (NYC is so urban that any serious Republican Candidate rejects the most basic/bare bones Conservative principle of conserving the current situation, because to be an electable Republican you can't have an anti- Public Transportation position and are normally liberal in the most bare bones dictionary definition sense of the word liberal) or not filled with suburbanites (San Diego).

By Reaganism is the Republican move to tie in Christians/Religious folk and Libertarians under one coalition which just ended up with a party whose bare bones policy is libertarian-lite. Smaller government if possible, lower taxes and basically a push for private funding for more services. This basic policy initiative will basically kill any Republican Candidate in any real city, even overwhelmingly rich white ones as long as it isn't glorified suburbia within city limits. Because cities need some sort of big government to be run effectively it's the nature of civilization which at it's very basis is a city. Now I know when I say civilization it makes it seem like Republicans are anti-civilization and thus basically Pol Pot-lite, but I don't mean it that way, a society as a whole can run well on Republican post-Reagan ideals but a truly urban city those same ideals will seem like failure, so i'm trying not to diss Republican ideals but it's kind of hard to frame it in a way that understandable without it seeming like a sneak diss towards Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 07:31 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Response: Opinion

What ?
and shutter down all city programs?.
No free food,no free housing, no free medical, no free education, no free transportation?

The working class is outnumbered by the non working class.

A slow and deliberate gentrification is the only answer.

If the city can''t make you work it can surely can make you leave!
Then and then only then will a Republican Mayor have half a chance
of being elected to run a big metropolis.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:31 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
It's still not happening.

Neither a RINO or even moderate Dem could win NYC.

Old 08-13-2020, 11:37 PM

1,424 posts, read 726,120 times
The city that voted for morons like DeBlasio and Cortez just because they're democrats? Not a chance.

Doesn't San Diego have a Republican mayor?

Old 08-13-2020, 11:48 PM

150 posts, read 87,557 times
Only a hard left Dem will win. No chance a republican wins NYC
“Last one out of NYC shut the lights “

Old 08-14-2020, 12:17 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
The city that voted for morons like DeBlasio and Cortez just because they're democrats? Not a chance.

Doesn't San Diego have a Republican mayor?
A fake Republican maybe

Old 08-14-2020, 12:20 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Voting Democrat is just the safe choice, I think Democrat is a terrible party because it is like 5 different parties within one. AOC claims she's not a democrat but she is because she needs their money and power. Republicans have 3 parties within. The reason Giuliani was able to win back then was he's not exactly a conservative. I don't think there's anyone in NYC who is really a conservative.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:31 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Voting Democrat is just the safe choice, I think Democrat is a terrible party because it is like 5 different parties within one. AOC claims she's not a democrat but she is because she needs their money and power. Republicans have 3 parties within. The reason Giuliani was able to win back then was he's not exactly a conservative. I don't think there's anyone in NYC who is really a conservative.

Excerpt: I don't think there's anyone in NYC who is really a conservative.

Response: Opinion

I beg to differ.......................

Old 08-14-2020, 07:29 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Long story short, there needs to be different flavors of GOP politics depending on the audience. There are a lot of good things more conservative ideas bring to cities (balancing police reform with maintaining law and order, promoting school accountability/choice, remove barriers to housing creation to promote affordability, focusing on promoting economic growth) but they need to be tailored to an urban audience. An urban GOP does in fact need to embrace immigration, gay rights, and renewable energy.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:55 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Why can't we have a nice centrist party that focuses on infrastructure, science, and fiscally responsible, but socially liberally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: