Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 07:30 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yeah. I'm just going to buy a treadmill at this point. It's not worth it. If we have to wear masks.
And if it's a sign up, time restraint, reservation kind of thing with no showers (you can't shower with a mask on). Plus, I really don't think my little ole gym has any fancy, shmancy HVAC filtration set up at all.

This is going to be like indoor dining. Not happening until there's a vaccine.
I agree. Lifting weights, cardio requiring good breathing will get uncomfortable with a mask. Plus, sometimes you just want to take more time-cooldown periods, adding a new move or trying something different. Or just zoning out with music on a bike to manage stress. Its not going to be enjoyable for many.

Gyms that have been closed for months may drag thier feet on instling an expensive air filtration system also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 09:39 PM

5,679 posts, read 2,612,281 times
Oh bloody hell these politicians deserve to burn in hell. Seriously I hope the devil has their chairs waiting for them. They are terrible human beings.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:40 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...D7OBpTt76MuOh8

"The governor said gyms in the state that meet requirements and pass a city inspection can open as early as Monday and no later than September 2. But the Mayor’s Office said city inspectors will prioritize schools and daycare centers over gyms, making it unlikely any gyms will reopen in the city next Monday. The Mayor’s office did not provide a timetable for when gyms would be able to reopen.

Some local gyms and national chains with more resources than independent gyms in the city had already put many safeguards into place.

James Innocenti owns several Planet Fitness gyms in the city that he says will meet all requirements and then some. The chain is normally open 24 hours. It now plans to shut down overnight for a deep sanitization as an extra precaution."

But what good is all that if they're not going to be making any inspections. Not any time soon anyway.
They're going to wait & see how the re-opening of schools play out before they let gyms open. I think that's the plan.

Last edited by Aeran; 08-17-2020 at 09:59 PM..

Old 08-17-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah. I'm just going to buy a treadmill at this point. It's not worth it. If we have to wear masks.
And if it's a sign up, time restraint, reservation kind of thing with no showers (you can't shower with a mask on). Plus, I really don't think my little ole gym has any fancy, shmancy HVAC filtration set up at all.

This is going to be like indoor dining. Not happening until there's a vaccine.
I bought my own elliptical at one point. $4,000 precor elliptical machine. I loved having it in my apartment. But then I moved several times with that thing. Some bigger and some smaller apartments. I eventually sold it. Since I sold it I've been in several more apartments so in hindsight it is a good thing I did, however I wish I still have that machine.
Best thing about having your own equipment is you can work out in your underwear.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I bought my own elliptical at one point. $4,000 precor elliptical machine. I loved having it in my apartment. But then I moved several times with that thing. Some bigger and some smaller apartments. I eventually sold it. Since I sold it I've been in several more apartments so in hindsight it is a good thing I did, however I wish I still have that machine.
Best thing about having your own equipment is you can work out in your underwear.
Yep. But the thing is, you have to buy a brand that the gyms use. Precor is a good company.
I bought two NordicTrack treadmills. And they don't last. This time around, I'm going to get a Precor, Landice or True. (That's the brand my condo gym has as well as the other gym I'm a member of). Life Fitness is not good because when I was a member at the Y, that's what they had and those treadmills always broke down and would be all wobbly over time.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Yep. But the thing is, you have to buy a brand that the gyms use. Precor is a good company.
I bought two NordicTrack treadmills. And they don't last. This time around, I'm going to get a Precor, Landice or True. (That's the brand my condo gym has as well as the other gym I'm a member of). Life Fitness is not good because when I was a member at the Y, that's what they had and those treadmills always broke down and would be all wobbly over time.
I agree if you're going to invest in gym equipment, spend the money. Precor is an excellent brand. I had no problem reselling it. And sold it for a decent price. The thing still look brand-new when I sold it and no issues working.
In my apartment now I have a stepper and a trampoline. Those I just got cheap brands because I knew I would not be bringing them to my next apartment. Sadly I can't use either of them right now due to doctor's orders. But a cheap trampoline is actually really good cardio and strengthening.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:09 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Found some info pertinent to me:

Quote:
communal showers are closed, but individual showers/stalls can remain open so long as they are cleaned in between use.
I guess I can presume the sauna will remain open (160° is hot enough to sterilyze the virus, and that is the lowest my sauna ever goes.)

Problem, I do not see the staff cleaning showers between uses. (Apparently Andrew Cuomo has never been in a gym.)

But can we apply the early accepted nonsense about "washing hands 40 times a day killing SARS CoV-1?" So isn't every shower a washing of the shower stall with detergent and water. Unless somebody is licking off the walls of a shower enclosure, I see little need for all this disinfection.

I fondly remember communal showers of the "good old days" at Man's Country and Club Baths. I have never seen a communal shower at NYSC.

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-18-2020 at 07:22 AM..

Old 08-18-2020, 08:53 AM

Listening to De Blasio now on NY1. Currently, there are not enough inspectors to inspect the gyms. The priority is inspecting schools. So, no gyms are going to open before Sept. 2nd. And he didn't give a time frame when they will run inspections. Just said, "they're working on it" & will move "as quickly as possible". lol.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Listening to De Blasio now on NY1. Currently, there are not enough inspectors to inspect the gyms. The priority is inspecting schools. So, no gyms are going to open before Sept. 2nd. And he didn't give a time frame when they will run inspections. Just said, "they're working on it" & will move "as quickly as possible". lol.
Seriously gyms have been closed for 5 months. Wtf do they wait to do inspections till the last minute. Ok "maybe" in the beginning they didn't know what would be required to reopen, but come on now at least for a few months they have known.
Im about to start working out at these politicians yards.

Old 08-18-2020, 10:34 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
How long does it take for a City inspector to find the gym manager and pocket a couple Franklins for a quick okay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City