Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 06:24 PM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post

1. This is from 1974. Do you have anything a bit more contemporary to make your point?

2. What is your point anyway? The title of this thread is "why do we have housing projects". Your video is about a single family home suburban neighborhood, what does it have to do with public housing projects?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 06:50 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
1. This is from 1974. Do you have anything a bit more contemporary to make your point?

2. What is your point anyway? The title of this thread is "why do we have housing projects". Your video is about a single family home suburban neighborhood, what does it have to do with public housing projects?

What irks you about his post? Folks on this thread mentioned Robert Moses and LeCorbusier, they've long turned to ashes. I think that on the contrary, the ghetto was created for blacks and when black folks aspired to better conditions, they were shown the door. Every large American City had the same problem sharing living quarters among blacks and whites. Social housing as it stands, and the lack of mobility in the black community has a lot to do with learned behavior, the fact that you are not welcome in the white world, and it persists to this day. The comments on these threads speak volumes about this state of affairs. What pisses me off most is that African Americans have been dissed and worse by newcomers to the US, and ethnics who have had a shorter history of living in the USA. Very disheartening.

Old 08-22-2020, 07:02 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Very disfriggingheartening

Old 08-22-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
What irks you about his post? Folks on this thread mentioned Robert Moses and LeCorbusier, they've long turned to ashes. I think that on the contrary, the ghetto was created for blacks and when black folks aspired to better conditions, they were shown the door. Every large American City had the same problem sharing living quarters among blacks and whites. Social housing as it stands, and the lack of mobility in the black community has a lot to do with learned behavior, the fact that you are not welcome in the white world, and it persists to this day. The comments on these threads speak volumes about this state of affairs. What pisses me off most is that African Americans have been dissed and worse by newcomers to the US, and ethnics who have had a shorter history of living in the USA. Very disheartening.

Regarding the video, it shows a sad situation, and my heart goes out to the decent black family that received a disgusting and life-threatening treatment in a white middle-class neighborhood in 1974. I do NOT believe that this kind of thing persists to this day in the US.

But this was 46 years ago. Even 46 years ago, this black family was clearly socially mobile, and not a welfare material (they were able to buy the house, the mother and even the young kids are quite coherent though emotional, attesting to being educated). There is no reason whatsoever why should blacks (or newcomers like me, who just came to the US 37 years ago :-) or anybody live on welfare in the US in 2020. I randomly mentioned a random black dentist earlier in this thread, possibly because my own dentist is black. He would vomit if you dared to tell him that a "learned behavior" is expected to prevent his social mobility - since his learned behavior happens to be dentistry, and I gather it has been pretty good for his social mobility :-).

Incidentally, if you think "ghetto was created for blacks", you think wrong. If you want to go to the first origin of "ghetto", it was an area where Jewish population lived, and it was in Italy. Urban ghettos in NYC were historically populated by various ethnicities, including primarily Irish, then Italian, then Jewish immigrants from Europe. Only later in the 20th century the word started being applied to areas with people that were not white, so no, nobody created any ghetto for blacks.

What irks me is that the history of racism is so readily, and with no obvious reason, always pulled into any discussion that even remotely includes people of non-European descent, even when the topic of discussion has nothing to do with racism. In this thread, we have been discussing public housing in NYC, there has been an argument that the architecture of NYC projects somehow causes low quality of life and crime, to which I pointed out that Stuy Town/Peter Cooper is the same architecture as the projects, but it does not cause any problems with quality of life or with crime in Stuy Town/Peter Cooper - so obviously, the welfare population of NYC projects causes its own low qol and crime, it has nothing to do with the architecture. Please explain it to me how the 1974 video about racist attack on a black family in a Queens single-family-house suburb fits into this discussion. Is the video about public housing projects? No. Is it about connection between architecture and quality of life? No. Is it about crime in the projects? No. So, what exactly is the point that the poster is trying to make by posting this video in this thread?

Old 08-22-2020, 10:53 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee2364 View Post
We have housing projects because a douchebag named Le Corbusier drafted an idea of what he deemed would be the "perfect village/city." This proposed city was called "The Radiant City" (aka "Ville Radieuse"), and depicted an inhumane plan where everyone would be living in what we now recognize as housing projects/Soviet bloc-style high rises.

The guy wasn't an urban planner by either stretch of the imagination. He was also an elitist/Fascist-sympathizer who was completely out of touch with the common man.

But because he was a "starchitect" in an elitist profession (and a "sophisticated" European) he was instantly deemed a "genius" by everyone the world over and his crappy "Radiant City" the ideal plan to base new urban villages around. Cities around the world (not just NYC but London and other cities) then started tearing down huge tracts of land to put up their own versions of The Radiant City. Not surprisingly, it was mostly the low income and working poor who were chosen to be the guinea pigs because...well, when you get down to it, The Radiant City was the perfect way to warehouse/segregate the plebs away from everyone else, and on the cheap.
Response: Opinion

Well done! You are spot on.
Public Housing is nothing more than the Hotel California.
You can check in any time you want but you can never leave.

Old 08-22-2020, 11:13 PM

172 posts, read 362,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
What a load of fake news and propaganda.

Let's dispel this nonsense easily since those who easily pull the race card are ignorant of historical reality:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ESlS2jrhXY&t=681s

Old 08-23-2020, 04:56 AM

Response: Funny to watch................

Regardless of I.Q...... the complaints between ethnicity remain the same.
The wrong is forcing to people to do anything. Give the people the choice to choose.
The fingers of success and failures can then only be pointed at no one but the individual.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 08-23-2020 at 05:06 AM..

Old 08-23-2020, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingRoo View Post
What a load of fake news and propaganda.

Let's dispel this nonsense easily since those who easily pull the race card are ignorant of historical reality:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ESlS2jrhXY&t=681s

Even though this is also not on the subject of whether a certain type of architecture causes crime (where I am arguing that it doesn't), it is the right response to posting the other video that was thoroughly unrelated to this thread, so thank you very much for posting this. Thomas Sowell is brilliant, and pretty much always right on the mark in his social analysis. He is still alive, although getting very old. Considering that he was among the best social thinkers and analysts of the recent time (which continues into the present time), I do not understand why he did not found a larger "school of thought" that could easily stand against the widespread idiocy and sloppy thinking that we are seeing all around. Contrast clarity of his observations and conclusions with the mindless stampede of BLM.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Even though this is also not on the subject of whether a certain type of architecture causes crime (where I am arguing that it doesn't), it is the right response to posting the other video that was thoroughly unrelated to this thread, so thank you very much for posting this. Thomas Sowell is brilliant, and pretty much always right on the mark in his social analysis. He is still alive, although getting very old. Considering that he was among the best social thinkers and analysts of the recent time (which continues into the present time), I do not understand why he did not found a larger "school of thought" that could easily stand against the widespread idiocy and sloppy thinking that we are seeing all around. Contrast clarity of his observations and conclusions with the mindless stampede of BLM.

Response: Agreed

If the world was filled with more thinkers there would be no room for "BAD" .

Old 08-23-2020, 03:49 PM

405 posts, read 394,088 times
Because Democrats wanted to ensure their votes kept coming in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City