Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2020, 05:59 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times

Advertisements

How cool.

https://qns.com/story/2020/08/20/nyc...per-east-side/

NYC Ferry service is expanding to where some critics have been urging for an extended period of time — from Astoria to 90th Street on the East Side of Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 06:16 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
The no extra cost part is great. I wonder if there are other such route extensions that can be maximized.

I never understood why the Astoria ferry pier isn’t coming out from Vernon Boulevard where there is a bus to connect to and a Citi Bike dock. Is it because the city needed to pay more to acquire land? Yea, it’s about a three minute difference walking, but c’mon!

Old 08-20-2020, 06:25 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The no extra cost part is great. I wonder if there are other such route extensions that can be maximized.

I never understood why the Astoria ferry pier isn’t coming out from Vernon Boulevard where there is a bus to connect to and a Citi Bike dock. Is it because the city needed to pay more to acquire land? Yea, it’s about a three minute difference walking, but c’mon!
No extra cost to riders per se, but city subsidizes this GD ferry system to tune of nearly $10 per rider.

This new ferry also goes right to or close enough to a new Durst multi-family housing complex thus indirectly increasing their value.

Old 08-20-2020, 06:48 PM

7,354 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Sounds so random.

So people from Astoria will get off at 90th Street walk to the Lexington 4/6 trains downtown?

I can see the 90th street crowd using the ferry to Wall Street. It's more for their benefit. There would be an outcry about a new service only for the UES so they are included Astoria with a more diverse population?

Sorry, I am not getting it. Especially when NYC is broke and can't afford full EMT services?

Old 08-20-2020, 07:46 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
How cool.

https://qns.com/story/2020/08/20/nyc...per-east-side/

NYC Ferry service is expanding to where some critics have been urging for an extended period of time — from Astoria to 90th Street on the East Side of Manhattan.
Thank you for your threads. I notice you are one of the few who post positive stuff.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:02 PM

5,683 posts, read 2,614,141 times
Of course the UES gets a ferry to Queens

Old 08-20-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No extra cost to riders per se, but city subsidizes this GD ferry system to tune of nearly $10 per rider.

This new ferry also goes right to or close enough to a new Durst multi-family housing complex thus indirectly increasing their value.
Yes, I realize that and I think it's money far better spent improving bus service. However, I personally like the ride and the ridership has been much higher (well, pre-pandemic) than I and many others expected so at least there's that. Besides, an extra leg on the journey without reducing trips elsewhere means more potential riders which improves that subsidy amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Sounds so random.

So people from Astoria will get off at 90th Street walk to the Lexington 4/6 trains downtown?

I can see the 90th street crowd using the ferry to Wall Street. It's more for their benefit. There would be an outcry about a new service only for the UES so they are included Astoria with a more diverse population?

Sorry, I am not getting it. Especially when NYC is broke and can't afford full EMT services?
There are also jobs in the Upper East Side especially among the hospitals there and service jobs in the area (a surprising number of people working service jobs in the UES don't live in the UES ). Maybe there are other travel pairs for 90th street aside from Astoria--after all, the ferry has multiple stops.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:03 AM

7,354 posts, read 4,138,516 times
I can see using the ferry during a pandemic and afterwards. It's more pleasant than the subway I don't see how NYC can pay for it during a financial crisis.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I can see using the ferry during a pandemic and afterwards. It's more pleasant than the subway I don't see how NYC can pay for it during a financial crisis.
One thing to think about is that there are operating costs and then there's the capital expenditures it took to set this up. When people talk about subsidies, it makes sense to understand how that per capita subsidy is actually calculated, and if including capital expenditures, how that capex is amortized in the calculation. NYC has already spent the money on the piers, designing the routes, setting up payment gateways, trained people, branding and signage, set up a command center and infrastructure, etc. You can stop running the ferries and sell the boats, but that might not ultimately be that much of the costs of the system and not as large a part of the per capita subsidy as one might expect. Meanwhile, discontinuing it means losing a lot of the value you already sank in and it would be something that at least for some of it would have to be sunk in again if you were ever to revive it. The question is, how long will the after effects of this pandemic last and does it make sense to cut this off knowing that if you were to restart this at some later time, you will have to recommit potentially a lot of capital expenditure.

Old 08-23-2020, 04:44 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Thank you for your threads. I notice you are one of the few who post positive stuff.
You're welcome! I try. Negativity just weakens the immune system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: