Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 01:52 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
And taxpayers have paid even more money to help people out of generational poverty with little to no results. Still have high levels of crime, still a vast amount of unwed kids with dead beat dads.

Housing projects become gang recruitment zones etc.

Want to end it? Offer big bucks for voluntary sterilization. 10k to get snipped or tubes tied. Less kids being born to adults who can't or won't "adult". Less need for schools, welfare, Medicaid, cops, and prisons.

That 10k could give forth millions in savings down the road.
The government should not have put anybody in generational poverty in the first place. Either the government helps us all or helps nobody. Since when does the government get to play favorites with citizens? I thought we were all equal but not according to tax returns. So there you have it. If you want to pay less taxes, move somewhere less populated. I don't make the rules.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 02:02 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
1. Are you not aware that most cities Upstate already have public housing agencies? Most likely not. I understand your detest for welfare, but you're pushing an agenda who's ship has sailed over 100 years ago. Were it not for the language barrier or weather, Singapore or Hong Kong might be more your speed. My point is that if you don't want to pay the taxes, you're free to move to a rural setting. Until you move from a city, you will pay more in taxes. Plain and simple.

I am fully aware of public housing agencies Upstate, but you are apparently unaware that the Upstate public housing agencies are funded from the same tax revenue pool as NYCHA (or else you would not have come up with the curious belief that only the taxpayers in Schenectady fund public housing in Schenectady). I am pushing agenda whose ship is very much a 2020 model, and wondering how to sail with no sails or engines (ie, with tremendously reduced tax revenue). I do want to pay taxes for useful purposes (NYPD, city transportation, sanitation), I don't want to pay them for harmful purposes (measures that increase the risk of crime in the city, wasteful spending for welfare which could be contained at 35% level of the present spending if it is moved Upstate), and I do not want to pay taxes for undisclosed purposes (whatever it is that Ms McCray does with public money).

Old 08-21-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I am fully aware of public housing agencies Upstate, but you are apparently unaware that the Upstate public housing agencies are funded from the same tax revenue pool as NYCHA (or else you would not have come up with the curious belief that only the taxpayers in Schenectady fund public housing in Schenectady). I am pushing agenda whose ship is very much a 2020 model, and wondering how to sail with no sails or engines (ie, with tremendously reduced tax revenue). I do want to pay taxes for useful purposes (NYPD, city transportation, sanitation), I don't want to pay them for harmful purposes (measures that increase the risk of crime in the city, wasteful spending for welfare which could be contained at 35% level of the present spending if it is moved Upstate), and I do not want to pay taxes for undisclosed purposes (whatever it is that Ms McCray does with public money).
You're thinking too linear. Who pays NYCHA employees? Who pays the vendors? It's not just about subsidized rents.

Like I've stated before - if you want to pay less taxes, you will simply have to move to a rural area where there is less government and therefore less chance of corruption (the latter may not even be true in some cases). This is the reality.

Old 08-21-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
And taxpayers have paid even more money to help people out of generational poverty with little to no results. Still have high levels of crime, still a vast amount of unwed kids with dead beat dads.

Housing projects become gang recruitment zones etc.

Want to end it? Offer big bucks for voluntary sterilization. 10k to get snipped or tubes tied. Less kids being born to adults who can't or won't "adult". Less need for schools, welfare, Medicaid, cops, and prisons.

That 10k could give forth millions in savings down the road.

A fairly long time ago, Planned Parenthood of Denver asked teenagers from poverty households what would it take for them not to become pregnant while still in school, and before being able to support a family. The young women replied that they would make an effort if they were paid for it. Mind you, this idea did not come from Hitler or the Chinese government (as some people are always ready to claim), but from impoverished young women themselves.

So, the PP of Denver launched a program called if I remember correctly A Dollar A Day. Each young woman was paid $1 (one dollar) for each day she did not become pregnant, which was only $365 per year per young woman. Some young women dropped out of the program, but the great majority stayed in the program until its completion. The young women that stayed in the program achieved much more in terms of education and financial level than their peers from the hood.

But the program was not continued or expanded, and hardly anyone even knows about it, I guess because its expected and proven success is not "politically correct" from the point of view of proponents of welfare state.

Old 08-21-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
You're thinking too linear. Who pays NYCHA employees? Who pays the vendors? It's not just about subsidized rents.

Like I've stated before - if you want to pay less taxes, you will simply have to move to a rural area where there is less government and therefore less chance of corruption (the latter may not even be true in some cases). This is the reality.

Would you mind changing the record, that one is broken. You have certainly stated that several times before, to which I replied several times that I do not mind paying taxes (federal, state, or city) for useful purposes. I also do not mind voting into the office politicians who will use my taxes for useful purposes. Not every city mismanages tax revenue like NYC, and no other large city in the nation has as much public housing as NYC. There are more and more people who see it the same way as I do, and that is the reality.

Old 08-21-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Would you mind changing the record, that one is broken. You have certainly stated that several times before, to which I replied several times that I do not mind paying taxes (federal, state, or city) for useful purposes. I also do not mind voting into the office politicians who will use my taxes for useful purposes. Not every city mismanages tax revenue like NYC, and no other large city in the nation has as much public housing as NYC. There are more and more people who see it the same way as I do, and that is the reality.
I beg to differ. The country itself is operating at a deficit of 24 trillion. So you're free to find a city without corruption or mismanagement in the USA.

Article is from 2019:
America's Largest Cities Are Practically Broke

Article is from 2020:
Report: 63 of largest U.S. cities don’t have enough money to pay their bills

From June 29th:
Best- & Worst-Run Cities in America
Top 10 cities according to the above article are:
1 Nampa, ID
2 Boise, ID
3 Provo, UT
4 Las Cruces, NM
5 Durham, NC
6 Lexington-Fayette, KY
7 Missoula, MT
8 Fort Wayne, IN
9 Virginia Beach, VA
10 Nashua, NH

I understand that you want your taxes to go where they should appropriately, your top 10 choices are above.

Old 08-21-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I beg to differ. The country itself is operating at a deficit of 24 trillion. So you're free to find a city without corruption or mismanagement in the USA.

Article is from 2019:
America's Largest Cities Are Practically Broke

Article is from 2020:
Report: 63 of largest U.S. cities don’t have enough money to pay their bills

From June 29th:
Best- & Worst-Run Cities in America
Top 10 cities according to the above article are:
1 Nampa, ID
2 Boise, ID
3 Provo, UT
4 Las Cruces, NM
5 Durham, NC
6 Lexington-Fayette, KY
7 Missoula, MT
8 Fort Wayne, IN
9 Virginia Beach, VA
10 Nashua, NH

I understand that you want your taxes to go where they should appropriately, your top 10 choices are above.

The first article is about long-term inability of cities to pay pensions to public employees due to insolvent city governments (do you actually read articles that you post, except for the title?) - rather far from the subject of influence of governmental spending/governing patterns upon crime in NYC (which is the actual topic of this thread). I had been self-employed and created my own pension, so do not need anything form any city, thanks. The second article I can't open.

Las Cruces, NM (#4 on the list of best run cities/towns) is actually on my list of considerations for living, the same list on which I have NYC. I don't have to make any decisions about that for the next 9 years, during which time a lot of things can change... hopefully WILL change :-).

Old 08-21-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
The first article is about long-term inability to cities to pay pensions to public employees due to insolvent city governments (do you actually read articles that you post, except for the title?) - rather far from the subject of influence of governmental spending/governing patterns upon crime in NYC (which is the actual topic of this thread). I had been self-employed and created my own pension, so do not need anything form any city, thanks. The second article I can't open.

Las Cruces, NM (#4 on the list of best run cities/towns) is actually on my list of considerations for living, the same list on which I have NYC. I don't have to make any decisions about that for the next 9 years, during which time a lot of things can change... hopefully WILL change :-).
Well good luck to you, because the type of government that you are seeking does not exist in any large city in this country. That is the only point I am making. No surprise that Las Cruces is on your list of places to relocate to.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Well good luck to you, because the type of government that you are seeking does not exist in any large city in this country. That is the only point I am making. No surprise that Las Cruces is on your list of places to relocate to.

The way Boston, MA is governed is fairly consistent with what I am seeking - which is why I have spent my income-earning years with the primary home in Boston (and will continue keeping that primary home for 9 more years). I'd say Boston is a pretty large city in this country :-). It has a normal law enforcement, almost no public housing in central city, and no municipal taxes in addition to flat, non-progressive state tax (actually, Boston gives homeowners a massive, and I mean massive, property tax abatement for primary home). The present mayor is a very reasonable moderate Democrat, the state governor is a very reasonable moderate Republican (a fairly typical combination over the 3 decades of my residence in Boston). If Boston/MA type of local government moved to NYC/NY State, all would be well... instead of that Boston exported to NYC what nobody wants in Boston :-).

Old 08-21-2020, 03:27 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Hopefully nothing. Those aren't federal problems.

Local and state issues need be addressed by local and state authorities who are closer to and answer to the voters that put them in office.
+1

this is exactly why they kept the national guard out of the state during the riots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City