Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 01:15 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ You need to carefully read your own links again. Either that or you are trying to pull a fast one on us. The $3.4 billion figure is NY and DC combined, not just NY.

So no, you are wrong that NY’s package is 4x that of DC. Furthermore, even your own link said this:

Also, I remembered incorrectly the actual number of jobs. I thought it was 10K but it was actually 25K which would make blowing it even more egregious because Amazon has not come anywhere close to that in their Manhattan job announcements.
You're right, I'll edit the post from

Quote:
The details actually matter. You considering that rambling is pretty ridiculous. NYS/NYC's combined incentives package was worth a $3,400 million dollars maximum for the same number of jobs as the co-HQ2 winning bid in Arlington County whose incentives cost valued out to about $750 million maximum. However the greater cost of doing business in NYC it's unlikely for over four and a half times the incentives per job of doing so in Arlington County. That's also a number that was later revised up as more details were revealed.
to

Quote:
The details actually matter. You considering that rambling is pretty ridiculous. NYS/NYC's combined incentives package was worth a $3,000 million dollars maximum for the same number of jobs as the co-HQ2 winning bid in Arlington County whose incentives cost valued out to about $750 million maximum. However the greater cost of doing business in NYC it's unlikely for over four times the incentives per job of doing so in Arlington County.
Four times the incentives per job for what was purportedly the same number of jobs. Amazon's NYC corporate headcount is probably about 5K now. The jobs target shifted from 50K upon announcing the competitive process to 25K. I think it makes sense for this to be looked at again in fifteen years to see if they reach 25K here and in Northern Virginia.

Yea, 4x. Glad you consider 4x significant. Is doing business in LIC really 4x that of Arlington County? 3x? 2x? This and consider the notable draw NYC has for hiring and colocation with finance, media, and tech here vs government / defense in DC. How about Newark with its even more substantial package despite what probably would have been far lower costs of doing business? Did they get the bid? Maryland?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-23-2020 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 02:22 PM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Quote:
^ The tax incentives came with a lot of strings attached, which included a lot of benefits for the residents of the local housing projects, the leaders of which were in total support of Amazon.

Now they have nothing. What’s AOC doing for them? That’s right, nothing.

If you did the math, New York would have came out ahead even after the tax incentives, which also was set to expire after a few years.
Response: You nailed it.

I remember our previous discussions a few years back.
We both disagree with each other for different reasons.
Bottom line......A.O.C.'s attempt to fight for the
poor left the poor that much poorer.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:08 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You're right, I'll edit the post from

to

Four times the incentives per job for what was purportedly the same number of jobs. Amazon's NYC corporate headcount is probably about 5K now. The jobs target shifted from 50K upon announcing the competitive process to 25K. I think it makes sense for this to be looked at again in fifteen years to see if they reach 25K here and in Northern Virginia.

Yea, 4x. Glad you consider 4x significant. Is doing business in LIC really 4x that of Arlington County? 3x? 2x? This and consider the notable draw NYC has for hiring and colocation with finance, media, and tech here vs government / defense in DC. How about Newark with its even more substantial package despite what probably would have been far lower costs of doing business? Did they get the bid? Maryland?
Once again you’re trying to be deceptive hoping no one actually reads through your own links. Except I just did and that new figure ($3 B) you edited into your previous post was for a previous proposal for when Amazon wanted just one campus, not a split to two.

Here are the quotes from your own WSL link:

Quote:
An ESD official said on Friday that the initial offer was higher to reflect the original, larger scope of HQ2 and to draw Amazon to the negotiating table. The workforce incentives were designed with upstate areas in mind, the official said, and to help disadvantaged populations.

“Throughout the negotiating process, we sharpened our incentive package and ultimately secured a better return on investment for the state and the biggest economic development opportunity in New York’s history,” ESD spokesman Matthew Gorton said.
So yes, NY’s offer was not just a number pulled out of thin air. It was carefully crafted by economic professionals at the state’s highest levels taking in mind many factors.

Funny you should hate on tax incentives because you are a Democrat and the Democrats love their high taxes and in order to be competitive, often times NYS has to provide incentives.

You are showing yourself to be disingenuous and a waste of time.

And here’s another mind blowing quote from Cuomo:

Quote:
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, has repeatedly pointed out that Amazon’s Queens campus was projected to increase city and state tax revenue by as much as $27.5 billion over 25 years.
So thanks in part to AOC, your Leftist hero, we lost $27.5 B in tax revenue. That could’ve helped many NY’ers and fix a lot of our crumbling infrastructure. There’s absolutely no defense of that although I know you will try just to win a CD argument.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:29 AM

91 posts, read 37,908 times
Hmm...I see how this works...argue to the death about what "could have been" ignoring the inconvenient facts about the nature of the company involved:

Gawker: How Amazon Swallowed Seattle

BI: A walk through Seattle's 'Amazonia' neighborhood made me understand why any city would be wary of hosting the tech giant

Is Bezos holding Seattle hostage? The cost of being Amazon's home

This Is What Really Happens When Amazon Comes to Your Town

Some of you would've been the types back in the 1990s raging about how much revenue NYC would've lost had we not allowed Enron to open a base of operations here. Very bizarre.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:52 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
She's just the female version of Trump.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee2364 View Post
Hmm...I see how this works...argue to the death about what "could have been" ignoring the inconvenient facts about the nature of the company involved:

Gawker: How Amazon Swallowed Seattle

BI: A walk through Seattle's 'Amazonia' neighborhood made me understand why any city would be wary of hosting the tech giant

Is Bezos holding Seattle hostage? The cost of being Amazon's home

This Is What Really Happens When Amazon Comes to Your Town

Some of you would've been the types back in the 1990s raging about how much revenue NYC would've lost had we not allowed Enron to open a base of operations here. Very bizarre.
I never liked large monopolistic companies myself and I am not a fan of liberal Amazon BUT since they are a legitimate company that is going to do business somewhere anyway, one would be dumb to pass up tremendous economic revenue just based on ideology.

And don’t you just love how those biased links only plays up the negatives of Amazon being in Seattle but leave out the part where Seattle happily accepts their tax revenue.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
She's just the female version of Trump.
Yes, yes, yes! A thousand times yes!

I have been saying this for ages. She is a puppet who was pushed to the forefront to infiltrate our political parties and wreck them from within. She is about as Leftist/Democrat as Trump is Rightwing/Conservative. We know for a fact that foreign oligarchs and the Chinese-owned Epoch Times funded or pumped out tons of propaganda helping to get Trump elected; don't be surprised if those very same entities were funneling millions into AOC, The Squad and Sanders.

It's not a coincidence that when pushed came to shove during the pandemic, both of these Manchurian Candidates pushed for "free stuff" to buy votes/pander to their voter base--$1200 stimulus and "free" rent. Some people are arguing that it's an example of Rightwing hypocrisy but it's not. They're both cut from the same cloth.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I never liked large monopolistic companies myself and I am not a fan of liberal Amazon BUT since they are a legitimate company that is going to do business somewhere anyway, one would be dumb to pass up tremendous economic revenue just based on ideology.
What are you talking about? Have you actually done any research into this company at all?

Amazon is not a "legitimate" company. The actual Amazon store (not the company, but the storefront) has never, ever turned a profit. It continues to lose billions of dollars a year.

The storefront is a combination drop shipper and shell company. It's a drop shipper in the sense that it uses third party sellers and independent businesses to stock and ship a large majority of its inventory. (Even products labeled "fulfilled by Amazon" are supplied and shipped from third party sellers, many of them based out of China.)

It's a shell company in the sense that it's been using the profits from its side ventures--IMDB, Twitch, DPreview and most importantly, AWS (Amazon Web Services)--to cover the losses of an unprofitable ecommerce site, as well as undercut the competition.

An analogy: I open up an ice cream parlor called "Ice Capades" to compete with Baskin Robbins, Carvel, Coldstone Creamery, etc. I undercut them by 75% by selling ice cream scoops for 25 cents, as opposed to the standard, which is $1.

I lose money hand over fist with "Ice Capades." But no worries. I also just opened a highly profitable side venture called "CookTech Inc." that specializes in "Smart" appliances (dishwashers, refrigerators, etc.).

CookTech makes $5B a year. Ice Capades loses $1B. But that's okay, because I have a net profit of $4B. I use the $1B to cover the lost of Ice Capades and then put in another $1B to continue undercutting Baskin Robbins et. al.

Over the years, after successfully undercutting ice cream parlors (putting most out of business), I start opening huge numbers of Ice Capades stores everywhere and...oh, what a coinkydink--all of these stores use appliances from CookTech. So now, I have stores everywhere acting as "showcases" for restaurant owners that might be in the market for CookTech products.

This is how Amazon has been operating the entire time. If that sounds far-fetched, why do you think Amazon--after presenting itself as the "brick and mortar killer"--suddenly started buying brick and mortars (Whole Foods) and trying to open brick and mortar stores? Because Amazon is a cloud computing company, and the end game was to kill off brick and mortars using analog technology in order to launch brick and mortars using its computing/cloud/cashless technology.

This is the modus operandi of every Big Tech company. It's how Uber operates and what MoviePass was hoping to do but wasn't smart enough to carry out.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee2364 View Post
What are you talking about? Have you actually done any research into this company at all?

Amazon is not a "legitimate" company. The actual Amazon store (not the company, but the storefront) has never, ever turned a profit. It continues to lose billions of dollars a year.

The storefront is a combination drop shipper and shell company. It's a drop shipper in the sense that it uses third party sellers and independent businesses to stock and ship a large majority of its inventory. (Even products labeled "fulfilled by Amazon" are supplied and shipped from third party sellers, many of them based out of China.)

It's a shell company in the sense that it's been using the profits from its side ventures--IMDB, Twitch, DPreview and most importantly, AWS (Amazon Web Services)--to cover the losses of an unprofitable ecommerce site, as well as undercut the competition.

An analogy: I open up an ice cream parlor called "Ice Capades" to compete with Baskin Robbins, Carvel, Coldstone Creamery, etc. I undercut them by 75% by selling ice cream scoops for 25 cents, as opposed to the standard, which is $1.

I lose money hand over fist with "Ice Capades." But no worries. I also just opened a highly profitable side venture called "CookTech Inc." that specializes in "Smart" appliances (dishwashers, refrigerators, etc.).

CookTech makes $5B a year. Ice Capades loses $1B. But that's okay, because I have a net profit of $4B. I use the $1B to cover the lost of Ice Capades and then put in another $1B to continue undercutting Baskin Robbins et. al.

Over the years, after successfully undercutting ice cream parlors (putting most out of business), I start opening huge numbers of Ice Capades stores everywhere and...oh, what a coinkydink--all of these stores use appliances from CookTech. So now, I have stores everywhere acting as "showcases" for restaurant owners that might be in the market for CookTech products.

This is how Amazon has been operating the entire time. If that sounds far-fetched, why do you think Amazon--after presenting itself as the "brick and mortar killer"--suddenly started buying brick and mortars (Whole Foods) and trying to open brick and mortar stores? Because Amazon is a cloud computing company, and the end game was to kill off brick and mortars using analog technology in order to launch brick and mortars using its computing/cloud/cashless technology.

This is the modus operandi of every Big Tech company. It's how Uber operates and what MoviePass was hoping to do but wasn't smart enough to carry out.
LOL. “Doing research” for you is more like reading as much online anti-capitalism propaganda as one can. I plan to think for myself so no thanks on your research.

It is just too ridiculous to even discuss intelligently with anyone who actually believes a $280 billion a year company is not legitimate because it does not follow your narrow-minded and corrupted definition of what a true company is.

Old 08-25-2020, 02:32 PM

383 posts, read 173,851 times
Her College transcripts are real at least.

What’s wrong with her making a beauty secrets video? Your beloved moron did the celebrity apprentice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City