Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 06:51 PM

910 posts, read 753,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Mass evictions are simply untenable, especially during an epidemic, and won’t happen. No politician who wants to stay in office will back increased evictions, here or anywhere else in the country.

SCOTUS has upheld government price controls (rents) for many years now, especially in emergency conditions—and the NY housing shortage has been considered an emergency since WWII. Maybe that needs rethinking, maybe not. But legally it still stands, though with this more conservative court, who knows for how long.

But ultimately, landlords are owners, and must take all the risks of ownership. That means the risk of loss as well as the chance for profit. That is a centerpiece of capitalism. No one forces anyone to buy an apartment building.

Now that we have a sane Supreme Court, this tyranny of price controls may come to an end. You cannot seriously sit there and tell me we are in an emergency. Maybe a bit now because of the "pandemic", but pandemics are not eternal. Eventually, you may not like this, but guess what? BILLS have to be paid.

I find it hilarious how you talk about the risks of ownership and yet not a word about taking RESPONSIBILITY for your debts as a tenant under a contractual obligation to pay. No one forces you to rent an apartment either. You sign a lease willingly under the condition that you promise to pay. Can't pay? Vacate the premises and take responsibility. Don't expect strangers or even family to foot your own bills and debts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 07:20 PM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
NYC is notoriously abusive against our constitutional rights as legit American citizens. It is a city where if you are an illegal alien or a deadbeat or thug, you will have all the legal protections paid for by the ever shrinking taxpayer base that is getting the hell out of Dodge.

We need to give NYC tenants the RIGHT TO BUY their own homes in the projects. I would like to see a complete elimination of public subsidized housing in NYC, which are centers of crime, STDs and other very serious social ills. No fault eviction is the way to go. This is getting absolutely ridiculous that we have "tenants" in NYC not paying their rent and are basically living for free, getting subsidized everything else including their $600-weekly taxpayer funded vacation and they still cry about not being able to pay rent.

Experts Decry Rent Laws’ ‘Disastrous’ Impacts – Real Estate In-Depth
Response: Nice Job!.......................You and every contributing member of society gets it.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:38 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,476,031 times
There's no policy logic behind rent regulation. But there's plenty of political logic. There are vastly more renters than landlords, an the politicritters can buy the votes of the renters with the landlords' money.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:41 PM

910 posts, read 753,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
There's no policy logic behind rent regulation. But there's plenty of political logic. There are vastly more renters than landlords, an the politicritters can buy the votes of the renters with the landlords' money.
Yes, this is very true, unfortunately. Another reason why I have always supported the notion of a proper "property-owning" democracy rather than mass democracy. I believe, in fact, I think, that people who contribute nothing in the way of wealth creation or taxes or property maintenance should not have the right to vote.

Mr. Retired: Thank you. Do you live in NYC? I would feel awfully bad being retired and having to stick around NYC in this political climate.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:55 PM

91 posts, read 37,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Given how awful, and excessively greedy, so many landlords are, I'm not sure that facilitating evictions is a great idea.
So many landlords? How do you know that? Do you even talk to any or are you like most anti-landlord populists--i.e., get all of your misinformation from the vagrant class of tenants who've successfully spread a disinformation campaign about who are what landlords are?

Old 08-27-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
We need to give NYC tenants the RIGHT TO BUY their own homes in the projects.
The vagrant class of tenant that is responsible for so many of these ridiculous laws don't want to own property. They want to be able to squat.

Old 08-27-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
But ultimately, landlords are owners, and must take all the risks of ownership. That means the risk of loss as well as the chance for profit. That is a centerpiece of capitalism. No one forces anyone to buy an apartment building.
I agree completely. I also agree that people like you should then keep your mouth shut when masses of landlords go bankrupt, the city plunges into massive debt from the loss of property taxes, and you find yourself mired in the urban blight of 1970s NYC or--worse yet, modern day Detroit or Niagara Falls.

BTW, you don't have the faintest idea of how capitalism works. The government forcing landlords to forego rent in order subsidize squatters and vagrants isn't capitalism; it's the government forcing private citizens to act in a social services capacity. In other words, it's government deciding, "Well, we need more homeless shelters, halfway houses and SROs but why do that if we can force private citizens to do it on their own dime?"

Old 08-27-2020, 10:21 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times
canovas, hypothetical, you've just come into power, Trump was all right but too left wing comparatively
You're both president and mayor rolled into one
So you end the Public assistance programs. Rent control ended. Food stamps ended.
No more protection from eviction. Medicaid ended.

Ok now there are thousands of people in living in the streets. They get by by begging and going through the trash for scraps.

Then what do you do? Leave them alone?
Ok

Or to clean up the streets do you build some concentration camps upstate in remote areas?
Or just kill them, a much cheaper solution?

What's the endgame?

Last edited by jonbenson; 08-27-2020 at 11:00 PM..

Old 08-27-2020, 10:52 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
Quote:

I find it hilarious how you talk about the risks of ownership and yet not a word about taking RESPONSIBILITY for your debts as a tenant under a contractual obligation to pay. No one forces you to rent an apartment either. You sign a lease willingly under the condition that you promise to pay. Can't pay? Vacate the premises and take responsibility. Don't expect strangers or even family to foot your own bills and debts.
Cry me a river. Every business owner knows, or should know, that he or she will encounter problems, non-paying clients, scammers, catastrophes, and assorted acts of God. The smart ones plan for all that. But small landlords are generally unsophisticated business people who cannot, for whatever reasoon, screen their tenants well, keep adequate reserved, and plan for contingencies. In short, they shouldn’t be landlords. There no shame in that. Hell, I’d like to be shortstop for the Yankees, but if I don’t have what it takes, I shouldn’t be. Same with business people in general and landlords in particular. If the can’t do the job right, sell to someone who can.

I will grant that the pandemic has thrown a monkey wrench into even the best owner’s plans. But I don’t give landlords any more sympathy than the owners of any other business now. In fact landlords are probably better off. There are always investors for distressed real estate, but not nearly so many for suffering bars, restaurants, or gyms.

And you are right. Nobody forced anyone to rent a place in New York. Unhappy people can pick up and leave, and do so all the time. If tenants can hightail it out of the city, landlords can too.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:57 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
Fine, do it. Waiting. I won't buy in the NYC projects though, and neither will my friend's grandma who has rent control rather than stabilization like I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City