Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 05:18 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times

Advertisements

Are you having trouble finding 70% rubbing alcohol in New York City.
for a fair price. NOT RIPOFF PRICES OF $7 DOLLARS A BOTTLE.
I have been scouring the landscape for this item and secured 2 bottles
at $1 each going back to July and that was it. It was at a local Dollar Store.
Every time I stepped into the store I'm told we are out or just sold out.
Over and Over again.

I happened to be at the right place at the right time one day last week.
The store had just stocked 24 bottles. A person ran up ahead of me
( I'm and old fart ) and loaded his cart with all of them. I said, hey pal
you think you can leave 2 behind for me and my wife?
He said man...... this is my money.....bro!
He tossed 2 bottle at me and took off.

Now I understand. It is not only hoarding it is price gouging internet style.
Buy for a buck and sell for $5 or $10 on line. Such reprehensible behavior
during a time of crisis. I understand Capitalism and personal choice but
when the only choice left is paying through the nose we have a greater problem.

I thought about how this can be curtailed.
The only solution I could quickly come up with was:

1) For resale only in New York.
2) Not for resale outside of New York.

Any suggestions?
What are your thoughts?
Curious minds would like to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 05:21 AM

304 posts, read 151,438 times
I've been looking for a few weeks and haven't been able to find a single bottle of rubbing alcohol anywhere. I think the solution would be for the stores to limit purchases to two bottles per person.

Old 08-30-2020, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr2 View Post
I've been looking for a few weeks and haven't been able to find a single bottle of rubbing alcohol anywhere. I think the solution would be for the stores to limit purchases to two bottles per person.
Response: Agreed.

I have seen signs with limits in stores as well.
Whether or not they are being adhered to is a
question that one must ask oneself.

Old 08-30-2020, 06:48 AM

5,683 posts, read 2,612,281 times
I bought some bottles online. For the actual price and they weren't price gouged. I haven't seen alcohol anywhere in person since pre virus. Most stores in person and online actually limit certain items to one or two per customer. I'm really shocked they let that man by all of them.

Old 08-30-2020, 05:48 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I bought some bottles online. For the actual price and they weren't price gouged. I haven't seen alcohol anywhere in person since pre virus. Most stores in person and online actually limit certain items to one or two per customer. I'm really shocked they let that man by all of them.
You'd be surprised how selfish peiple can be and how they will argue this and argue that as if they are the most important person in the world. He probably got what he wanted because in retail "no" is often not a word customers are used to hearing.

Old 08-30-2020, 05:50 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Cant say I have, then again, I dont go around looking for rubbing alcohol weekly

Old 08-30-2020, 06:05 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr2 View Post
You might try asking because many stores are keeping rubbing and any sort of alcohol behind counter since covid-19 hit.

Not so much because of hoarders, but stuff is getting jacked left and right. Wipes, bottles, etc.... anything that contained alcohol including hand sanitizer was walking out front door.

Old 08-30-2020, 06:19 PM

Response:

Let me share something that has worked for me as a result of necessity.
I was fortunate enough to purchase one bottle of hand sanitizer. Just one.

I needed 2 bottles. One for me and one for my wife.
All I did was empty half of one full bottle of sanitizer into an empty bottle of sanitizer half way.
I followed by tapping off both half filled sanitizer bottles with the recently purchased 70% alcohol
as posted earlier. Gave it a few shakes and bingo........2 full bottles of sanitizer. One for my car and
one for my wife's car. I'll keep doing this until shelves are stocked to normal capacity.......

What one must do in time of need is truly interesting.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:36 PM

191 posts, read 220,702 times
Keep checking walgreens they do get supplies but short quantities and they go fast.. i score a couple 32oz bottles 91%
- usually they limit 1 per person but some clerks might let u take 2.. good luck hunting took me 6 walgreens to find them and ask when they get stocks.

Old 08-30-2020, 10:35 PM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I bought one a while ago (during the Covid crisis.) IIRC, I paid $3.99 at Key Food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: