Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 07:53 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,684,927 times

Advertisements

Opening indoor dining and bars would help businesses and bring back jobs

but cross your fingers that the people who go to restaurants and bars will continue to have their jobs of be financially secure enough to continue to maintain their standard of living.

But it all depends on how frequently somebody goes to restaurants and bars in a given month.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

-- The unemployment rate is 10.2% is worse than the worse point of the Great Recession which started in
December 2007 -2008. New York hit harder?

- --The job growth rate has significantly slowed and, without fiscal stimulus, could fall further.

---People who usually work part-time increased by 803,000 to 24.0 million.

---About a third of the additional jobs came in leisure and hospitality, and those are the ones likely to get hit hard again as big states that have seen virus resurgence find themselves having to reclose businesses.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

We have been living in an economy based on a lot of non-essentials

It would be prudent to tell people that the future could be uncertain so save your money, cut down on eating out and buying $8-14 drinks too frequently

But it's a catch 22, the other message is go out to restaurants and bars to support local business and the jobs they create

It's all true

Last edited by jonbenson; 08-31-2020 at 08:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 09:47 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,385,985 times
Maybe drinks and food can become reasonably priced then more people would eat out. The last beer I purchased at a bar in NYC was maybe 2005 at $6. By the time I left in 2015 it was around $10 so I heard. Never bothered to go out much after the smoking ban.

Food ? In 2015 it was $20 to brown bag it and wish you had more to fill your stomach. What's it like now ?

REALITY needs to make a comeback.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:51 PM

5,566 posts, read 2,526,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Maybe drinks and food can become reasonably priced then more people would eat out. The last beer I purchased at a bar in NYC was maybe 2005 at $6. By the time I left in 2015 it was around $10 so I heard. Never bothered to go out much after the smoking ban.

Food ? In 2015 it was $20 to brown bag it and wish you had more to fill your stomach. What's it like now ?

Oh please....as someone who used to go out a lot pre-corona there are many places to choose from. Sure you can spend $20 on a cocktail on a rooftop but you can also get two for 1 cocktails for $8 at the Irish bar. there are places for every budget.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:08 PM

6,219 posts, read 3,532,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Oh please....as someone who used to go out a lot pre-corona there are many places to choose from. Sure you can spend $20 on a cocktail on a rooftop but you can also get two for 1 cocktails for $8 at the Irish bar. there are places for every budget.
Yeah I go to places that even have $3 beers.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:17 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,591,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post

$2 beers exist. I was doing $3 in the LES. You can spend that much, but you don't -have- to. Rudy's on 46th st is still $2 beers and free hotdog if you get the cheapest.

Old 09-01-2020, 03:12 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,684,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Rudy's on 46th st is still $2 beers and free hotdog if you get the cheapest.
Rudy's is conducive to fights

Old 09-01-2020, 04:59 AM

15,805 posts, read 6,631,643 times
Response:
You ave a choice to shop around for the lower the prices. Private business does not have a strangle hold on the individual compared to the state and city municipalities. It's not like I can go shopping for a different entity to pay my property taxes because I don't like the prices the current one is trying to sell me............
If only....

Old 09-01-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
$2 beers exist. I was doing $3 in the LES. You can spend that much, but you don't -have- to. Rudy's on 46th st is still $2 beers and free hotdog if you get the cheapest.
Close it's between 43-44th street

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Rudy's is conducive to fights
Oh please.....

Old 09-01-2020, 08:45 AM

416 posts, read 244,826 times
Whether or not a person wants to blow their “savings” on indoor dining , outdoor dining, at bars , at supermarkets, on onlyfans, or through amazon, that is their prerogative. A dollar spent is a dollar earned.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplifly View Post
Whether or not a person wants to blow their “savings” on indoor dining , outdoor dining, at bars , at supermarkets, on onlyfans, or through amazon, that is their prerogative. A dollar spent is a dollar earned.
Exactly! As long as people pay their bills they can spend whatever extra on what they want.
I always say people are selectively broke.
For an example a friend may want to go to a broadway play and you say you can't afford it but then spend your money on drinks and dinner. You just had the money to spend you just didn't want to spend it on a play. You preferred to dine with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City