Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 05:12 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
My question to all is it worth it to come back to the city or is not worth it at all .

Here is the reasoning behind the question
My company is asking us to thing about it .We both have been talking it over and I’m saying maybe if certain conditions where meet by the company and pay raises for both of us .she still has her N.Y. state license to practice law there .So thought it would be fun to throw the question here and see the answer that are given
Hard to answer when you don't bother to tell us what you like or don't like about NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 06:16 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,441,846 times
I really love the food in the city that the one thing I love about it the most .Plus I love 99.cent pizza plus all the diff bookstores I got to go to there

Old 09-01-2020, 09:05 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
I really love the food in the city that the one thing I love about it the most .Plus I love 99.cent pizza plus all the diff bookstores I got to go to there
Well indoor dining is prohibitted which will lead to many restaurants closing down before we can recover from covid. Bookstores also have been hit hard due to covid.

99 cents pizza sounds like the same Papa John's stuff you can get in nowhereville.

I would look more into the pending financial calamity heading the city's way and it's effect on your company,and your finances as the city will be looking to raise taxes on the wealthy and a 2 lawyer household puts you squarely in their crosshairs; look at what the MTA cuts will mean for your commute, and look at what services the city will need to cut to help determine if the city will be able to offer you the quality of life you desire here.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:24 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
If you can get cheap rent, or cheap home, then why not?

Old 09-01-2020, 10:35 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,441,846 times
here is my conditions for us to go for -1-year with a option for another year
-1-pay my rent for a nice 4-bedroom apt in a nice area of manhattan
-2 pay for my daughter school
-3-plus a daily per dem for me and my women
-4- car service for us to use as needed
plus a few other perks for moving there

Old 09-02-2020, 07:47 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
99 cent pizza is the same low quality slice you can get anywhere in america. There is nothing special or uniquely nyc about it. All the good restaurants will likely be out of business when you move back. Thanks Deblasio.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:04 AM

1,274 posts, read 978,310 times
Quote:
My question to all is it worth it to come back to the city or is not worth it at all .

Here is the reasoning behind the question
My company is asking us to thing about it .We both have been talking it over and I’m saying maybe if certain conditions where meet by the company and pay raises for both of us .she still has her N.Y. state license to practice law there .So thought it would be fun to throw the question here and see the answer that are given
Why would they offer you a pay raise? If you relocate, the companies would probably try to see if they can lower the pay, pretending the cost of life is lower, etc...

Ultimately I don't know what the right answer is. I think it's your choice only.
I would personally go back, because I like NYC, and I find it comfortable.
I know not everyone loved it in the city as living conditions were not great for everyone, so who knows?

Old 09-02-2020, 08:15 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Just pay it yourself, they could offer you 4, it's not a big deal to use company cards and expense it but for everything else, it's your gig and your needs so shouldn't you pay for it?

If you don't want to come back, just take the decision. If you ask those conditions, do you think the company will just accept them, beyond 4?

His company is not going to pay for his daughter's private school.
Manhattan private school tuition is more then your average private college tuition.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:16 AM

1,274 posts, read 978,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
His company is not going to pay for his daughter's private school.
Manhattan private school tuition is more then your average private college tuition.
I mean... it is possible if you are considered doing some sort of expatriation. For a high level officer, companies can do it, and it's the occasion to save tons of money for those people. I think it's becoming rare and companies would rather offer high pay but on a local contract. However, I don't know his conditions.

Most of the time, I agree with you, they should just offer the right pay and it's up to the person to pay for the rest.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:36 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
We Unearthed the 50 Best Rent Deals in NYC Right Now
A renovated one-bedroom on Spring Street, an East Williamsburg loft with 15-foot windows, and more.

By Jenny Xie and Katy Schneider Updated Aug 28, 2020, 2:53pm EDT

https://ny.curbed.com/21357792/nyc-a...ent-best-cheap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City