Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 11:06 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Just when you thought there was light at end of tunnel, here comes more good news for those who won't pay rent.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020...a-renters.html

If anyone still wants to own rental property after this is all said and done will prove amazing.

People effectively have lived nearly one year or longer in NYC without paying rent, and cannot be touched. Nice work if you can get it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 11:07 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
The effect will be to destroy many small landlords and transfer a huge number of units from them to large corporate realty rentals. It is just a wealth transfer, really. Joe Middle Class gets screw again, and the big money skims the cream off the top.

This isn't new. Frustrating, but not new.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:09 PM

91 posts, read 37,842 times
I just asked my parents to sell the house as soon as I heard this.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
The effect will be to destroy many small landlords and transfer a huge number of units from them to large corporate realty rentals. It is just a wealth transfer, really. Joe Middle Class gets screw again, and the big money skims the cream off the top.

This isn't new. Frustrating, but not new.
Yes, that's exactly what it is. And the reason why Dems like Cuomo/de Blasio and Repubs like Trump are all on the same page is that they're all neoliberals in the pockets of Big Real estate who've all had a long and storied history wheeling and dealing in development. Hell, I wouldn't even be surprised if they were all secretly partners behind the scenes divvying up NYC and other major cities to hand over to their real estate corporate overlords as we speak.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:21 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
This isn't confined ot real estate. It is happening with retail and food services. Small business is being destroyed and megacorporations will step in and fill the vacuum when demand resumes. I don't believe this is by design, but if you are a big, well funded corporation with good cash reserves, right now the best thing for you is for the shut down to go on at least another 6 months, wiping out thousands more small businesses.

I should probably buy stock in Walmart, MacDonalds, Target, and any other huge corporations. Their profits can only soar after this is over.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:54 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Landlord groups should be in court tomorrow challenging this. Where the puck does the CDC get the authority to do this. There nothing in the constitutional that authorizes the federal government to exercise this power. This is a HUGE 10th Amendment issue.

The states should simply ignore this order and process evictions.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Landlord groups should be in court tomorrow challenging this. Where the puck does the CDC get the authority to do this. There nothing in the constitutional that authorizes the federal government to exercise this power. This is a HUGE 10th Amendment issue.

The states should simply ignore this order and process evictions.
The Powers That Be have already come up with some bogus reason why it can do it, something about a special clause. I can't remember what the clause is but you'll be hearing it spread, Russian disinfo style, across many media outlets and comments sections until it feels "natural". I've been seeing multiple bots on YouTube posting about it over and over again. I call b.s. I highly doubt YouTubers know anything about the law, so it's just a little laughable to see so many of them seeming to have foreknowledge of this very vague, little heard of exception.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:48 AM

1,399 posts, read 890,790 times
Is this the same cdc that said 94% of their own china virus deaths are bogus?

Old 09-02-2020, 04:26 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Excerpt: or force them into a "shared living setting"

Response:
Are you kidding me? Any roof over ones head is a home.....even during crisis. Such destructive nonsense unless of course
Land owners are going to be exempt from paying property taxes for a years as well.......Like the old saying goes...What's good for the goose?

Old 09-02-2020, 05:20 AM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Lots of buildings will catch fire I suspect. With it without occupants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: