Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 02:29 PM

1,186 posts, read 955,502 times

Advertisements

People think we're crazy but currently we are trying to move down to the city from Westchester; prices are dropping downtown and demand is going up in the suburbs so it's an ideal time. Also when we have to go back to the office it will eliminate the soul-crushing 2 hour daily commute, paying for the school taxes and all that related nonsense. Downside is losing 1/2 the square footage we have now and higher HOA, but I've come to terms with that tradeoff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 04:42 AM

15,800 posts, read 6,627,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billancheloz View Post
I'm so tired of reading the news and hearing about how our city is in shambles. I'm so tired of hearing about how crime is on the rise and everyone is leaving. I walk around my neighborhoods, where I live and where I work, and while it's quieter and different, it's so far from feeling "unsafe" or "in shambles." I'm in Manhattan, on the UES, and I work in the West Village. I spent little time in Midtown before, and know that's where the bulk of the impressions are coming from, but what are your feelings on NYC today?
Response: Opinion

I too, used to were a pair of Rose Colored Glasses; until they were stolen!

Old 09-04-2020, 06:25 AM

1,034 posts, read 440,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
People think we're crazy but currently we are trying to move down to the city from Westchester; prices are dropping downtown and demand is going up in the suburbs so it's an ideal time. Also when we have to go back to the office it will eliminate the soul-crushing 2 hour daily commute, paying for the school taxes and all that related nonsense. Downside is losing 1/2 the square footage we have now and higher HOA, but I've come to terms with that tradeoff.
Wait at least 6 months. Prices will continue to drop. Im in the market myself.

I would buy now but I'm not so sure that prices won't drop further. In fact, I think there's a higher probability that will happen.

Old 09-08-2020, 04:17 PM

97 posts, read 21,205 times
Quote:
I'm so tired of reading the news and hearing about how our city is in shambles. I'm so tired of hearing about how crime is on the rise and everyone is leaving. I walk around my neighborhoods, where I live and where I work, and while it's quieter and different, it's so far from feeling "unsafe" or "in shambles." I'm in Manhattan, on the UES, and I work in the West Village. I spent little time in Midtown before, and know that's where the bulk of the impressions are coming from, but what are your feelings on NYC today?

More people are dying of shootings every day in NYC than coronavirus at this point, it is a dangerous, noisy, overcrowded, rip-off, mentally ill dump. You say that until you get shot. A 1 year old was shot in his stroller for crying out loud. The mayor needs to go, these corrupt democrats are destroying American Life. Trump 2020

Old 09-08-2020, 05:23 PM

1,195 posts, read 973,176 times
Quote:
NYC is becoming an abandoned industrial wasteland with its best days in the past. I use to go on urban adventures in north jersey to see abandoned places. Soon I'll be doing this in NYC.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:47 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,631,420 times
So many small businesses have closed. It is so depressing. The condos with their ground floor chain stores are still popping up. There is a target opening up in Hell’s Kitchen in October. It makes me sick.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:23 AM

1,186 posts, read 955,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Wait at least 6 months. Prices will continue to drop. Im in the market myself.

I would buy now but I'm not so sure that prices won't drop further. In fact, I think there's a higher probability that will happen.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same. I'm subscribed to listings in my price range and keep seeing the reductions; either people are desperate to get out or properties aren't moving at the normal pre-COVID prices. Pre-COVID options last year were slim pickings; now there are plenty of options.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune or stay in it long-term; would prefer something that can be totally offset by rental income if needed.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:02 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,827,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezeburger View Post
Where in the UES are you (near park vs. Yorkeville) how safe does it feel in the mornings or evenings? Have any of the homeless issues experienced by the UWS spread into the UES?

No they have not, assuming the scare tactics about the UWS are even true. UES is fine with the possibility of a very few more Dickensian beggars. I live between Third and Second.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:12 AM

5,574 posts, read 2,765,534 times
Ive worked in NYC for 19 years.
Started working from work as a freelancer. Never been happier. I hope to never go back again. Also no more 3 hour daily commute from LI. Quality of life instantly improved. More family time. More me time. Win win all around.

I miss a few restaurants (katz). few museums, BUT NOTHING I cant live without.
I always preferred nature to city life anyhow, and now with kids, I much rather do road trips, hikes and such.

Thinking of moving away to texas, or NC. Proper house, land, boat etc.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:20 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,489,771 times
NYC will go through major changes the next few years. A lot of what's old will disappear and newer businesses will pop up. It won't die like people think but it won't be the same. It may get worse the next few years as the city will need to figure out how to clean the city up and where to get its money from. You can't attract business if the image of crime and protests doesn't abate. Companies for the safety of their workers will be less inclined to open office space until it's back to the old.

The country will need to take a stand against BLM protests. When enough is enough. Those people need to be rounded up because it's no longer law abiding peaceful protest.

Who will want to dine or have business meetings in NYC when any time a protest will pop up and disrupt traffic and the police are outnumbered and hands tied. The only people that eat in NYC are those that live in NYC and that's not enough to keep the restaurants open for long. When long time Chinatown restaurants close for good, that's a sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City