Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 05:58 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I guess it's the one scientist Hitting the Bong too much.

You can't have herd immunity when antibodies only last 3 months.

Meanwhile there's no antibodies for lead bullets piercing internal organs.

Thank goodness human immune system is more complex than your brain :-). I wouldn't advise criticizing scientists who work in a field about which you have zero knowledge. T cell-mediated immunity lasts much longer than 3 months, and it may last forever if you continue having relatively frequent repeat encounters with the virus.

The vaccine will take care of the virus, and will do so pretty soon. The city government should be taking care of crime, with or without the virus. Urban renewal depends upon the strength of the next city government, ie, whether the losers get succeeded by someone who knows how to run a city - it does not depend on the fact that you personally want NYC to degenerate into a provincial ghetto hellhole.

The best case scenario would be if someone from the NYPD ran for mayor. I have a feeling that move would be actually very popular among very many New Yorkers - possibly at this point among the majority :-).

Last edited by elnrgby; 09-04-2020 at 06:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 07:22 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response:

Yet on the flip side of the coin some solid neighborhoods have suddenly jumped
in price
as the demand for a " SAFER " environment is now becoming as rare as
hen's teeth and those who can afford it are willing to pay any amount for securing
a " SAFE "place to live.

One of the reasons why home sales and prices have remained stable in low crime neighborhoods around the city. East shore & south shore of SI. Northeast Queens, Mill Basin, Riverdale, etc. I also think that NYC homebuyers are returning to the 1970s and 80s mindset that neighborhoods furthest from the subways are the best and safest places to be. Back then they were called 'two-fare zones' because they required a bus trip to the nearest subway station. The premium fare express buses were designed to enable the middle-class residents of these areas to commute safely to their jobs in Manhattan.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:24 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Immigrated to NYC when I was three (late 1980s). Basically "born" and raised. I love this city and it's sad seeing it on the decline for the first time in my life. Our leaders are full blown clowns and it's sad they're ruining lives for no good reason at all

However, my wife and I are in the market for an apartment. Everytime I hear about a shooting, my next thought is, "prices just edged a bit lower".

I'm literally having brokers respond 5 minutes after inquiring about a listing and constantly following up. Prices already down ~10% listings innth $500-700k range in "premium" neighborhoods. That's unheard of. At the height of the financial crisis in 2008, they were down around 10%.
Never thought I'd say this but certain neighborhoods ( those who were in the process of gentrifying) are overbuilt with condos. Who's buying a 600aq ft $600K condo in Bed Study or Bushwick?

I think it'll get worse before it gets better. People still aren't panicking yet. I think they will be early next year when there's still no vaccine , flu cases will be lumped in with COVID, and Manhattan is still devoid of workers and tourists.

Cynical but accurate.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:57 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post

The best case scenario would be if someone from the NYPD ran for mayor. I have a feeling that move would be actually very popular among very many New Yorkers - possibly at this point among the majority :-).

There is such a candidate see videos here on page 4

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...lection-4.html

2021 NYC Mayoral Election

Bill Pepitione, Republican , former NYPD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kPkSyaGpZY

also similar,

Curtis Sliwa, Republican

__________________________________________________ ____

On the Democrat side Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams also former NYPD. In an interview yesterday, Sept 3 he said he is doing an investigation to see if some officers, not the entire department or commissioner are staging a work slow down. It also says there needs to be a new version of the (plain clothes) Anti-Crime unit which was recently disbanded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk3M4fblFhQ

Last edited by jonbenson; 09-04-2020 at 08:16 AM..

Old 09-04-2020, 08:13 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Thank goodness human immune system is more complex than your brain :-). I wouldn't advise criticizing scientists who work in a field about which you have zero knowledge. T cell-mediated immunity lasts much longer than 3 months, and it may last forever if you continue having relatively frequent repeat encounters with the virus.

The vaccine will take care of the virus, and will do so pretty soon. The city government should be taking care of crime, with or without the virus. Urban renewal depends upon the strength of the next city government, ie, whether the losers get succeeded by someone who knows how to run a city - it does not depend on the fact that you personally want NYC to degenerate into a provincial ghetto hellhole.

You are living in a dream world.

If T Cell mediated immunity was semi-permanent enough to thwart the virus - Why are most second infections in 35 year olds who have higher T cell function than the Average senior who dies from the virus complications?

This wasn't a reoccurence. They verified the genetic sequence was NOT similar to the first infection.

Do more research. Based on the fact you have to immediately resort to ad hominems it is clear YOU are the one who is unable to wrap your head around reality.

The fact you're believing in a vaccine to address a virus that has created 12 variations in under 12 months shows me you lack the science knowledge to understand the situation we're in.

Crime is high precisely because intelligence levels are low and arrogance is high. You have successfully demonstrated both.

Good day sir.

Old 09-04-2020, 08:20 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
That's not true. I'm seeing ALL neighborhoods taking a hit.
Where's your data showing this? Not challenging you but geniunely curious.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:22 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
You are living in a dream world.

If T Cell mediated immunity was semi-permanent enough to thwart the virus - Why are most second infections in 35 year olds who have higher T cell function than the Average senior who dies from the virus complications?

This wasn't a reoccurence. They verified the genetic sequence was NOT similar to the first infection.

Do more research. Based on the fact you have to immediately resort to ad hominems it is clear YOU are the one who is unable to wrap your head around reality.

The fact you're believing in a vaccine to address a virus that has created 12 variations in under 12 months shows me you lack the science knowledge to understand the situation we're in.

Crime is high precisely because intelligence levels are low and arrogance is high. You have successfully demonstrated both.

Good day sir.

I'm not a sir (being that I am female), and am a recently retired medical professional :-). I also have a research doctoral degree in a biomed field :-). "Most " second covid infections? There is so far a total of 1 (one) case in the whole world where there is a strong evidence of second infection. Sorry, I did not intend an ad hominem, but per my professional/educational background, your previous mail criticizing an actual scientist looked very humorous :-).

Multiple vaccines were created because there are many ways to create a vaccine (starting from the fact that it can be created against different viral molecules), and they were created rapidly because of massive funding. Btw, all of them look pretty good, and are likely to work. This virus in fact does not vary much where it matters, ie, in the molecular structures targeted by the vaccines.

Crime is high because criminals are being given free reign in NYC. Next mayor has to be intensely tough on crime, and I think the majority of New Yorkers will be looking at that first. The rest of the fate of NYC (including real estate discussed in this thread) depends on that, first and foremost.

Last edited by elnrgby; 09-04-2020 at 09:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: