Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 05:44 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times

Advertisements

I've never understood the posters who like to post news items of uninteresting individual crimes. I do understand the posters who like to post scare stories to try to make digs at the mayor.

But here's this:

Trump Says Crime Is Rampant in N.Y.C. Here Are the Facts.
Crime is up in New York, but still remains low

The spike in killings and gun violence also comes after seven years of record-breaking calm when murders dipped to below 300 one year — 2017 — for the first time since the 1950s. That milestone was reached under Mayor Bill de Blasio, the Democrat whom both Mr. Lynch and Mr. Giuliani have blamed for the rise in crime.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/28/n...ban-crime.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 06:26 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Lol. It must suck to live in a world where anyone over the age of 12 can see through your nonsense pie-in-the-sky views.

Of course crime is still "low". WE drove it so far down it will take at least 2-3 more years to slide all the way back.

What real people see and have a problem with is the fact that we are sliding back at all. We are not criminal-loving apologists. We are civil society. And soon we will fight back.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-04-2020, 07:05 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Well, the YTD number of shooting victims is currently about twice the number of shooting victims in 2019, 1237 in 2020 compared to 631 in 2019. That certainly is a concern.

The number of murders is up by one-third, 270 in 2020 compared with 219 in 2019. Burglaries are up 42% and Grand larcency-Auto is up 60%.

On the good news front, rapes are down 23% from 2019, probably tied to bars being closed.

Murders are substantially the same during deBlasio's tenure and rapes increased during his tenure.

I don't think deBlasio will be remembered as creating a safer city.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:27 PM

565 posts, read 361,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I've never understood the posters who like to post news items of uninteresting individual crimes. I do understand the posters who like to post scare stories to try to make digs at the mayor.

But here's this:

The spike in killings and gun violence also comes after seven years of record-breaking calm when murders dipped to below 300 one year — 2017 — for the first time since the 1950s. That milestone was reached under Mayor Bill de Blasio, the Democrat whom both Mr. Lynch and Mr. Giuliani have blamed for the rise in crime.
Everything and anything from the NY Times should be viewed as fake news. Crime has increased this year unlike any time in our history. That is a statistical fact. Comparing crime to 1990 is nonsense. Compare it to current times.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:38 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Er....maybe, but I’ll stay on the caution side of it.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:52 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
Quote:

But here's this:

People always use the early 1990s (1990 specifically) as a baseline. That's like a obese person saying they went from 700lbs to 400lbs. Yes, it's an improvement, but it's off a totally unacceptable baseline. No world class city should ever have the level of crime NYC did in the early 90s, just saying things aren't like 1993 isn't acceptable.

Old 09-04-2020, 08:00 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times
Just because we are historic lows doesn't mean we aren't heading into the gutter.

Now, I'm not a pessimist, I really do hope all the doom-and-gloom of NYC doesn't occur and I do believe some people are a bit hyperbolic when it comes to "NYC not coming back".

I do think NYC will rebound but it'll take a while. And right now, with DeLousy'O as a mayor, crime is going to continue to go up. It's pretty evident that the crime rate is spiking and things are not looking good for NYC financially, which will only make crime worsen. We can't be delusional.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:40 PM

150 posts, read 87,533 times
Quote:

But here's this:

Joke Post! Crime is rampant and the city is not safe. My children will not be outside alone anymore. You must be a Realtor ? Wake up would ya .
“Last one out of NYC shut the lights”

Old 09-04-2020, 11:29 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,467,022 times
Lmao

Old 09-05-2020, 04:43 AM
PVW

287 posts, read 164,974 times
Whenever I read NYT opinion pieces written by resident writers who claim crime is decreasing, I always wonder what neighborhood the writer lives in.

They always engage in a "yes, but," type argument. "Yes, it's increasing, but, but, but..."

From the article:

"As of last week, according to police statistics, there had been 280 murders in New York this year, a 35 percent increase over last year. Shooting incidents have also spiked to 955 so far this year, 87 percent more than during the same period last year. But the surge in violence has arrived amid a 2 percent drop in overall reports of all major crimes, the police say. Rape reports, for instance, are down 25 percent, and grand larceny has dropped 20 percent."

Tell that to the people who live in neighborhoods where crime is increasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City