Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 04:49 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,361,792 times

Advertisements

https://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-m...dents-the-fall

I didn't hear this talked about much and so thought I do a thread on it. It's a step in the right direction. Details are vague as it was just announced and so expecting to hear more later this week. I would assume that this program will be financial needs based.

This is actually a huge problem period in the U.S. that has been exacerbated by the pandemic. Bernie Sanders discussed this prior to Covid and now research dictates a lack of childcare will result in a significant number of workers (usually women) cutting their hours/quitting their jobs (this will probably change notably after a vaccine is distributed en masse).

Something I'm curious about is how difficult it would be to open up a daycare here. I can't imagine the cost due to suitable areas/the rent. I mean just to get a license and all that...is it super expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 08:55 AM

38 posts, read 20,488 times
Schools are childcare + learning. That was the case for ages...now just because teachers feel like they are more important than other workers (nurses, cops, firefighters) and refuse to go back to work Diblasio needs to figure something out.

If the virus was so dangerous daycares should be closed as well.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:58 AM

1,464 posts, read 755,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen_nyc View Post
Schools are childcare + learning. That was the case for ages...now just because teachers feel like they are more important than other workers (nurses, cops, firefighters) and refuse to go back to work Diblasio needs to figure something out.

If the virus was so dangerous daycares should be closed as well.
I agree. I see teachers out at parties having a great time near me. Maybe they can only catch the virus during their work hours ?

Old 09-09-2020, 09:20 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,536,773 times
Just vote for a R mayor, and end the madness already.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:21 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,688,546 times
What about all the children too young to attend school? What happens to the students after 4 PM when most schools are closed? This is nothing new. Childcare has been around for decades.

Not all teachers are out partying. What about the ones who have their own children?

Daycare centers were never closed during the lockdown for essential workers.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:28 AM

IF daycare centers for essential workers were always open (even at the height of the pandemic) than schools should be open too...its no brainier.

Schools open=daycare for everyone= more people going back to work

Imagine if supermarket/deli/delivery people would behave like teachers...we all would die from starvation months ago...Teachers do it because they getting paid the same $$ to sit home and do bare minimum to teach kid online. Just change their pay and whoever stays home gets 50% cut...in a day virus wouldn't be a problem anymore...
Teachers are just lazy...not all but enough of them to convince public that its still unsafe to open schools...even now where infection rate is less than 1% and almost none is getting sick or dying on Covid here in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
What about all the children too young to attend school? What happens to the students after 4 PM when most schools are closed? This is nothing new. Childcare has been around for decades.

Not all teachers are out partying. What about the ones who have their own children?

Daycare centers were never closed during the lockdown for essential workers.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:22 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,688,546 times
https://search.aol.com/click/_ylt=Aw...zNub6DT8XZmqU-

You have a short memory. There are others.

Old 09-09-2020, 01:28 PM

644 posts, read 306,798 times
This is definitely a start. But, there are (were?) 1.1 million students in the school system. Also, this is child care. At best, it will involve support of virtual classes. No actual in person teaching. And of course, the city is paying the child care provider and paying teachers... someone is making a mint off schools not fully reopening.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:16 PM

and like 50 cops died, along with hundreds other essential workers...but they didn't had a choice to stay home and get 100% salary...do your job or you will be fired...
ALSO that was in MARCH...

Almost everything is open but NYC schools...NYC isn't special and right now we have the lowest infection rate in US and our teachers are still 'afraid'...afraid of working NOT the virus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
https://search.aol.com/click/_ylt=Aw...zNub6DT8XZmqU-

You have a short memory. There are others.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:47 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,828,406 times
Response: Opinion

As a former educator I remember this old saying....

Corruption is authority plus monopoly minus transparency.
and for all intensive purposes,
the educational system has far far too much authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City