Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 05:15 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,294,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Plus, I don't see why restaurants should have to close at 12am. Does the virus attack more at night than it does during the day?
Good point. Why not let some restaurants/bars stay open 24 hours. The businesses can make up lost profits and also give some lifeblood back to this dormant city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 06:00 PM

5,616 posts, read 2,561,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Plus, I don't see why restaurants should have to close at 12am. Does the virus attack more at night than it does during the day?
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Good point. Why not let some restaurants/bars stay open 24 hours. The businesses can make up lost profits and also give some lifeblood back to this dormant city.
I'm guessing this has to do with the subway no longer being 24/7.
My guess is they don't want businesses open so then people will need the subway.

Last edited by 90sSitcom; 09-23-2020 at 06:14 PM..

Old 09-23-2020, 06:07 PM

1,034 posts, read 442,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
So if you predict an increase in COVID-19 in November-December what is your recommendation in regard to restaurants? Would you open to 100% and just live with a certain number of people dying? How many dead would be acceptable each month?
People die of alcoholism, car wrecks, etc. too (and many more on the younger side). How many deaths are acceptable?

Old 09-23-2020, 07:16 PM

8,919 posts, read 4,720,577 times
https://ilovetheupperwestside.com/ou...ng-year-round/

New legislation has been introduced to make outdoor dining a year-round thing.
The new bill calls for the legalization of outdoor propane heaters, among other measures.
While indoor dining is set to resume on September 30, it’s at a maximum capacity of 25%. So if this new legislation is approved, it will help restaurant owners stay afloat by allowing them to serve more customers at once.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:19 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,624,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
So if you predict an increase in COVID-19 in November-December what is your recommendation in regard to restaurants? Would you open to 100% and just live with a certain number of people dying? How many dead would be acceptable each month?
As if no one is dying from anything else? Every single person who CHOOSES, makes THEIR CHOICE to step into my establishment, is now my responsibility?

So if someone comes into my businesses, eats, drinks, leaves. Then (god forbid) they get into an accident of some kind, then die. Is that my fault? I'm responsible?

If someone comes into my business, eats some food that they know that they are allergic to, then dies of that allergic reaction. That's my fault that they chose to do that?

How many people are we going to be responsible for?

Old 09-23-2020, 08:20 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,624,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post

The new bill calls for the legalization of outdoor propane heaters, among other measures.
While indoor dining is set to resume on September 30, it’s at a maximum capacity of 25%. So if this new legislation is approved, it will help restaurant owners stay afloat by allowing them to serve more customers at once.
What a mess. Now that's more many having to by heaters, propane, etc. More congestion. Ridiculous. Who wants to eat outside in the freezing cold? I know some people don't mind but the overwhelming majority aren't going to want to deal with that.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
What a mess. Now that's more many having to by heaters, propane, etc. More congestion. Ridiculous. Who wants to eat outside in the freezing cold? I know some people don't mind but the overwhelming majority aren't going to want to deal with that.
Yeah but I feel for the restaurant owners. They're trying their best to make lemonade out of the lemons that are being thrown at them. Apparently, some owners bought all these propane heaters only to find out that there are heavy restrictions or outright illegal in NY to using them. Who knew? Anyway...that's why they're now trying to pass new legislation allowing the use of them.

I agree. From someone who's been outdoor dining like mad, I haven't been these last few days because it was just too cold and unpleasant. Don't know about tonight though. Walked around and didn't see too many diners but it was still early.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:00 PM

6,219 posts, read 3,560,317 times
Quote:

This is so F'ing dumb. A bunch of propane heaters on the sidewalk because they don't want to just let people open at 50%?

Old 09-23-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
This is so F'ing dumb. A bunch of propane heaters on the sidewalk because they don't want to just let people open at 50%?
Yeah. I started a new thread on this. I think they should increase the indoor capacity level, let them stay open past midnight and let them continue to have outdoor dining past Oct. I'm not going to do it, but if other people don't mind eating outside when it's cold out let them do so. Jeesh.

I don't know the safety of propane heaters or why they are illegal in NY (when they are okay to use at other places) but they're making it so hard on restaurant owners when gyms and malls have been open for awhile now. I know the difference is the wearing of masks (you can't at a restaurant) but...where did they come up with the 25% mark? As opposed to 50 or 75%?

Old 09-25-2020, 11:51 AM

6,676 posts, read 5,971,373 times
Quote:

Thinking about this a little bit more, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get rid of all traffic into Manhattan. Only service vehicles and the NYPD, FDNY, Sanitation and paramedics should be allowed. It would be nice to make Manhattan into one giant club/restaurant/bar. I'm already imagining the rat problem, but that's okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City