Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 02:44 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
NYC can't handle so many workers, we were at the limit to what the mass transit system can accommodate. This will be a good time to invest on fixing and rebuilding the infrastructure instead of waiting for the tax base to come back and then fix. I know it's not gonna happen because it would be too efficient and smart planning which NYC government is neither.
People have selective vision and memories. It was getting really bad prior to COVID. Constant overcrowding and service issues. That's what people remember and why they are only at 25% ridership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 03:07 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
This has been happening Pre-covid19. Covid19 might have accelerated store vacancy but it was something that was occuring in NYC and other major cities. I remember visiting Miami and they also had a lot of store vacancies.

Its very sad to see.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I don't understand. So it's only okay if certain people go to work forever and ever, right?

I worked through this entire thing, from the beginning. I've taken public transit from the beginning. I spend at least 12 hours per day in a mask. So does my sister. But now other people might have to do it and they act like it's the end of the world. .

Hundreds of millions did. Whether remote or in person, that is each company's choice and each individual's choice.

I worked from home today, same as the last 6 months.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:26 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Totally disliked WFH. I missed the casual interactions with co-workers and staff. I missed the support staff such as Tech and IT who could come and fix things.

I like my house for being "home" and not "contaminated" with work. Maybe it's generational, but I don't want to work in my fuzzy slippers. I liked having lunch with my friends. I like popping into a colleague's office to ask a question about a project she worked on last year.

Commuting time was quiet personal time, removed from my surroundings.
Not generational. I am the same way. I cannot work from home at all so I have been happy to go to work this entire time. I am like you---I want my home work free. I am not productive at home either so I like being out of the house. My husband sits at home all day and he's tired of it too. He said he wouldn't mind popping into the office once a week if they ever reopen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Hundreds of millions did. Whether remote or in person, that is each company's choice and each individual's choice.

I worked from home today, same as the last 6 months.
Not my point. My point are the people acting like babies about having to possibly return to work and commute. Big whoop. Some of us have been doing it all along. They care if THEY have to possibly return but they don't mind the fact that the cashier getting paid diddly has been working this entire time either to sell them their goods.

They don't want to return they can look for a job elsewhere with different policies.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:59 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Not my point. My point are the people acting like babies about having to possibly return to work and commute. Big whoop. Some of us have been doing it all along. They care if THEY have to possibly return but they don't mind the fact that the cashier getting paid diddly has been working this entire time either to sell them their goods.

They don't want to return they can look for a job elsewhere with different policies.
I worked hard in my early 20s to ensure I wasn't still working at Home Depot in my 30s operating fork lifts and pulling palettes with dollys. I saw those older guys on the job and I said nope, not for me. I'm using my brain and getting a job I can do anywhere.

Anybody who has to work a job servicing the public, good luck. But that doesn't mean you get the right to determine others have to join you. If anything you are safer BECAUSE we are staying at home. If office workers come back crowding subways and stores coughing and sneezing I bet you'll be complaining and wishing we were back on lock-downs.

You don't get to determine whether people like me go back or not. That's between their lawyer and HR, if they want to push the issue. If they have a documented medical condition and job duties can be performed adequately remote they are legally obligated by ADA to comply.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:23 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,219,565 times
Quote:
Not generational. I am the same way. I cannot work from home at all so I have been happy to go to work this entire time. I am like you---I want my home work free. I am not productive at home either so I like being out of the house. My husband sits at home all day and he's tired of it too. He said he wouldn't mind popping into the office once a week if they ever reopen.

Hey leave the teachers out of this.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
. They care if THEY have to possibly return but they don't mind the fact that the cashier getting paid diddly has been working this entire time either to sell them their goods.

The cashier was free to look for another job or one with wfh policies in place.

Of course, the cashier should be quite happy his/her job was not automated away..yet.

You are annoyed at going to work, but you also were not forced. You could have quit, looked for job with wfh offered, etc.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I worked hard in my early 20s to ensure I wasn't still working at Home Depot in my 30s operating fork lifts and pulling palettes with dollys. I saw those older guys on the job and I said nope, not for me. I'm using my brain and getting a job I can do anywhere.
Ditto.

I did work in retail for a while..at age 17.

I also knew education was the way out, to a better life. The ROI has been superb on my investment in myself.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:42 AM

34,095 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Stay on topic. The thread is about JP Morgan staff, not about retail.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-15-2020, 06:51 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
I also like my home to be me time and not work. I fear that WFH for certain industries will be tough on the respective workers. I do notice many who are working a lot less and are benefiting from WFH but for what I want to do, I will probably have to be vigilant regarding how many hours I'm on the clock on a given day for because some of these companies are trying to have you work non stop. Totally taking advantage in a bad way of WFH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I won't be telling you what to do because you're you and you have to do what's best for you. What's getting to me are all these people who WFH and are telling others to stay home and shaming them. I don't have a choice right now to leave my job and so I have to go physically in to work. I have been risking my health since the beginning and if I feel like going outside to hang with some folks, I shouldn't be shamed for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Stay on topic. The thread is about JP Morgan staff, not about retail.
As it relates to sales, I actually feel less anxious about getting into the industry regarding them starting to open up (some). I can't imagine doing all my training from home being brand new to the field. A drawback is it's a big learning curve, and a pro would be learning how to WFH.

JP Morgan is obviously financial services but I think a lot of IT firms are still having their workers WFH, including the sales team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City