Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 04:20 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,606,075 times

Advertisements

Update: I was there today, there was people there, not crowded, but definitely not deserted. I went into a MUJI for the first time, surprisingly cheap actually. They also have a UNIQLO and H&M, so it's not all super high end. Also, pretty mixed demo too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 10:44 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,638,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I love Hudson Yards. To me, the glitz and ritz is part of NY. If all one wants is Target and cheap housing everywhere St Louis has that too.
It's the wrong direction and the reason why NY is on the decline because it caters only to the 2% of society. Everything becomes over priced and expensive because they must follow this glitz template. When you go eat at Hudson Yards, even the wealthy people thought the food was pricey and not worth the money. Why would someone pay $18/burger that was just a diner burger. If I wanted a $18/burger I can sit down at a Steak house.

If the rich wants all of NYC to become glitzy they need to pay workers enough to work there. So the companies thought by getting a low tax break from NYC turns out it's a hidden tax. You end up having to over pay salaries just to keep workers from fleeing to other jobs.

Old 09-15-2020, 04:16 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,606,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's the wrong direction and the reason why NY is on the decline because it caters only to the 2% of society. Everything becomes over priced and expensive because they must follow this glitz template. When you go eat at Hudson Yards, even the wealthy people thought the food was pricey and not worth the money. Why would someone pay $18/burger that was just a diner burger. If I wanted a $18/burger I can sit down at a Steak house.

If the rich wants all of NYC to become glitzy they need to pay workers enough to work there. So the companies thought by getting a low tax break from NYC turns out it's a hidden tax. You end up having to over pay salaries just to keep workers from fleeing to other jobs.
Sorry, but this is simply wrong. Of course no city (except maybe Monaco) can survive being only of the 1%, but the fact is that the overwhelming majority of NY and NYers are low to working to middle income. Hudson Yards is part of the economic balance of having the rich next to the poor (projects are just blocks away).

Old 09-15-2020, 04:16 AM

5,766 posts, read 2,890,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Well said.

Too many people are stuck in paycheck to paycheck type life with hopes that any day now things will get better. Ive been there. It hard to break that cycle, even harder with kids and a mortgage hanging over your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City